Jefferson Airplane

jimmie ray

One of those bands encased in Woodstock amber. A few good albums but then Marty Balin turned them into wuss-rockers in the seventies. The less said about Jefferson Starship and even worse, Starship (the horror! the horror!), the better. Like The Doors, they came across as a band mired in '60s dogma. Grace Slick was a damn fine rock and roll singer, that's for sure...what a voice.

^ Yep. I've mentioned before, that I'm a huge Hot Tuna fan. Jorma Kaukonen and Jack Casady are an unseparable duo, who instrumentally drove the Airplane. The group's style certainly changed after they split, and not even Grace's voice could save it. I hate that the Starship is what most people think of, in association with them. Thanks, MTV!

^ You can hear Jefferson Airplane on the radio? If the stations around here still played them, they could call them whatever they wanted, for all I'm concerned. But they don't.

This is a Donavan song, great for spacing out. So, fly Jefferson Airplane, gets you there on time...

^ One of the few music documentaries on DVD that I own. Unfortunately, it seems there is very little decent concert footage of JA available. The camera work and angles pretty much all sucks, mostly shows Grace Slick, and not what the musicians are doing. As Jack Casady is in my top 5 bassists, I want to see what he's up to. Plus he does a funny eyebrows thing, like the Muppet band bassist. 

^ One of the few music documentaries on DVD that I own. Unfortunately, it seems there is very little decent concert footage of JA available. The camera work and angles pretty much all sucks, mostly shows Grace Slick, and not what the musicians are doing. As Jack Casady is in my top 5 bassists, I want to see what he's up to. Plus he does a funny eyebrows thing, like the Muppet band bassist. 

I agree that the camera work is not that good on the dvd, but you get complete live versions of some great tunes by JA.

• 4 months later...
On 9/7/2015 at 2:58 PM, jimmie ray said:

Still love this group, even though they seem swept away in the past. This NYC rooftop performance shows they didn't just play hippie music, but introduced elements of somewhat heavy metal and grunge.

Grace Slick was a pioneer; one of the first woman to front a rock band and write many of the songs.  

Archived