"Generation Beat Club" German Documentary

sam_webmaster

• Administrators

beatclub_german_tv_doc.thumb.jpg.ff8eca8

New German documentary about the legendary Beat Club TV show which featured everyone from Cream, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, MC5, The Who and many more.

History of the First Generation Beat-Club
09.21.2015 | 43:28 min. | UT | Available until 09.28.2016

using Google translator: There was a television show in the First, by the fact you can say it has changed the Federal Republic. The Beat-Club opened the way to a confident youth culture and an entire generation has had a lasting influence. 50 years ago, the Beat-Club of Radio Bremen went in first on the air.

http://mediathek.daserste.de/Reportage-Dokumentation/Geschichte-im-Ersten-Generation-Beat-Cl/Das-Erste/Video?documentId=30692466&topRessort&bcastId=799280

Led Zeppelin.com Timeline entry for the Beat Club:
http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/march-27-1969

March 27, 1969
Bremen, DE  | Beat Club (TV)
Setlist: Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, You Shook Me (both lipsynched)

Led Zeppelin make their only visit to the popular German TV show, Beat Club, to be filmed lip-synching Babe I'm Gonna Leave You and You Shook Me. The footage is eventually shelved, but clips are used by the Beat Club for a Whole Lotta Love video in March 1970.

The original footage of Babe I'm Gonna Leave You and You Shook Me are eventually broadcast 40 years later.

Beat Club Episode #53: First aired: 3/28/1970
Led Zeppelin / Mott the Hoople / Marsha Hunt.

Guests: Ashton Gardner & Dyke - "Rolling Home" and "Billy And His Piano Without" --Marsha Hunt - "One Step Ahead" -- Led Zeppelin - "Whole Lotta Love" --Beatles (on film) - "Let It Be" --Mott the Hoople - "At The Crossroads" and "You Really Got Me" --Edgar Broughton Band. 60 minutes / Aired 4:15pm - 5:15pm

beatclub69-5.jpg

Interesting name, the beat club...being its way after the beat generation, or as far as i know any media titles for ten year generations.

in regards to the actual term, beat generation and jack keroucs notion of movement of life and emotion, in an action oriented way like music, i think john bonham and led zeppelin materialized that with music. 

One of the best documentations I ever saw. And I assure you: EVERY WORD IS TRUE!

Pity that you can't ask my dad what it has meant to him in 1965 when his lovely little girls became monsters ☺

Okay, I was a lucky one who was able to hear Radio Veronica and Radio Caroline but in other parts of Germany it was not possible, so the Beat-Club was a window into the world.

One of the best documentations I ever saw. And I assure you: EVERY WORD IS TRUE!

Pity that you can't ask my dad what it has meant to him in 1965 when his lovely little girls became monsters ☺

Okay, I was a lucky one who was able to hear Radio Veronica and Radio Caroline but in other parts of Germany it was not possible, so the Beat-Club was a window into the world.

That's right, Radio Veronica. For those who do not know, Radio Veronica was an illegal radio channel, they used to broadcast from a ship off of the coast from Scheveningen (The Hague). For The Netherlands and parts of Germany and Belgium it was the only way to actually hear beat/rock music. My parents are of that generation and I heard plenty of stories about the Radio Veronica ship. Nowadays "Veronica" is a legal radio and television channel. 

The Beat Club documentary seems interesting, I will check it out when I find the time. Always great to take in a bit of musical and cultural history. At 38 years old I sometimes really don't get it......, why is the music my generation created nowhere near the level of the music from my parent's generation.....? I almost am ashamed of my generation, when I was 15/16 what came up was house (and other kinds of electronic dance music) and Hip hop/rap. Grunge was about the only thing you sort of could compare to the rock music from the 60's and 70's........ I never cared about the fact that classmates would tease me about my musical taste or would ask me why I listen to "old folks" music.................. 

The Beat Club documentary seems interesting, I will check it out when I find the time. Always great to take in a bit of musical and cultural history. At 38 years old I sometimes really don't get it......, why is the music my generation created nowhere near the level of the music from my parent's generation.....?

Or the other way round: what made these years so special? Authenticity and passion! This is what Robert Plant is showing in the Beat-Club-videos. Why these videos were not shown on TV in 1969 or 1970: Led Zeppelin haven't been famous enough in Germany (That's what I think, I'll show an example in another thread  http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/13008-random-newpaper-articles/&do=findComment&comment=837336 ).

Have you seen the Beatclub-video with the Yardbirds and Jimmy Page?

• 2 weeks later...

Or the other way round: what made these years so special? Authenticity and passion! This is what Robert Plant is showing in the Beat-Club-videos. Why these videos were not shown on TV in 1969 or 1970: Led Zeppelin haven't been famous enough in Germany (That's what I think, I'll show an example in another thread  http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/13008-random-newpaper-articles/&do=findComment&comment=837336 ).

Have you seen the Beatclub-video with the Yardbirds and Jimmy Page?

I have seen this video before. Good one indeed! Maybe you're right about passion, drive and being your own person having a lot to do with why the music of the 60's and 70's was and still is so special. But....., there is good current music out there, but it takes a bit of an effort to seek it out. In The Netherlands a bluesrock band called DeWolff is a good example, they are three young guys (in their 20's.) and their sound will surely take you back to the 70's. What they also do (basically just like Led Zep...), is selling albums, they never came out with a single. On top of that, their live performances are incredible....

Maaike 

Archived