Greatest recorded moment - end of story.

rm2551

ok,

What is the GREATEST live recording for YOU - can be audio only. Fuck knows there are certainly audio only pieces that are No. 1 contenders.

Right now? I can't go past this.

Tonight at least (oh it WILL be different tomorrow - you better believe it!) it is the TREMENDOUS....

June 25, 1972 at the Forum: Robert Plant telling the knuckleheads to stop fighting and saying if everyone keeps cool they can play all night.

For a musical moment, I thank the gods for whomever was rolling the tape on May 3, 1971 in Copenhagen for the only live performance captured of "Four Sticks".

You mean live? Just one? There's too many to choose, man!

But if I had to choose one, it'd probably be "No Quarter" off the original '76 Song Remains The Same soundtrack. 

Isnt that shit just the best??!?!?? I have always thought that there is no better version that this one! I used to wish that they based their future No Quarter's off of this one. I mean i like the 40 and 30 minute ones, but this one is always the best man no doubt!! Although I do REALLY REALLY like the Vancouver No Quarter of 3-20-75. Jimmy's soloing is so mind piercing!

Well in my honest opinion. Led Zeppelin's very, VERY best moment is definitely 'Mellotron Solo' > 'Thank You' live at Southampton University ~ January 22, 1973. That is not only Led Zeppelin's greatest moment, but that is simply the greatest, most beautiful moment in music. I can easily listen to that 13 minutes of music every single day for the rest of my life, and I plan to do so. :) 

June 25, 1972 at the Forum: Robert Plant telling the knuckleheads to stop fighting and saying if everyone keeps cool they can play all night.

For a musical moment, I thank the gods for whomever was rolling the tape on May 3, 1971 in Copenhagen for the only live performance captured of "Four Sticks".

Oh yes Strider, this is pure magic. Very complicated song which goes from 5/8 to 6/8 and back again yet they really nailed this live. Why they never performed this song again is a real mystery.

shit... for now I would also have to go with the No Quarter from the original TSRTS soundtrack... Probably one of my favorite Page solos.... I'll never forget when I listened to it on acid. Not advocating drug use or anything, but I'm sure some of you have similar experiences ;) 

Tempe, Arizona, 1977 (roll drum snare, crowd laughs) :lol:... thank you, you've been great, but seriously folks...

Ohhh, this one is a toughie.  I'm going to give a Top Three (in no particular order of bestness) if I may 'cause I can't name just one;

1) 'The Song Remains The Same' - Los Angeles, Inglewood Forum, June 21st, 1977; the whole band are literally smoking and Bonzo is a beast, a BEAST I tells ya!!!

2) 'No Quarter' - New York City, Madison Square Garden, July 27th and 28th, 1973 (the original 1976 TSRTS  mix); moody, atmospheric, and utterly, utterly mesmerizing (this isn't a clean cut, so I'm not sure if it counts, but I'm putting it on anyway, it's just too good not to.)

3) 'Whole Lotta Love' - Berlin, Eissporthalle, July 7th, 1980; or more specifically, the freak-out jam session therein, what more can be said about this other than the last stand of the greatest band of our age, once more unto the breach dear friends, a genuinely poignant final moment of a band who it seems almost instinctively, subconciously know this is the very last time they'll perform in public again, and don't want it to end, but all good things do and sadly this is it for the good ship Zeppelin... but WHAT an end!!!

That list is entirely subjective and admittedly incomplete as I haven't heard all available bootlegs to date.

That's hard man ... for me it's Whole lotta love and his medley at OSAKA on 29/09/1971 in 2nd it will be Whole lotta love/Rock and roll from Listen to this Eddie and in 3rd Communication breakdown and his medley (and JPJ solo !!) at Blueberry hills in 1970

Greatest recorded moment in history is not even a Led Zeppelin recording, Machine Gun from Band of Gypsys takes that accolade.

Fully agree, mainly due to the fact that it still perfectly reflects the state of the world today. 

Some great recorded moments for me are:

The opening of SIBLY (TSRTS)

The "wear some flowers in your hair" and the following guitar part, from D&C (TSRTS)

"No Quarter"  (TSRTS)

The outro to "Four Sticks"

The "We're Gonna Groove" solo...

The Greatest... I give the edge to the D&C part I mentioned above.

Some great recorded moments for me are:

The opening of SIBLY (TSRTS)

The "wear some flowers in your hair" and the following guitar part, from D&C (TSRTS)

"No Quarter"  (TSRTS)

The outro to "Four Sticks"

The "We're Gonna Groove" solo...

The Greatest... I give the edge to the D&C part I mentioned above.

Start of SIBLY from TSRTS - jeeeez, thats always up there for me. Is there a more frantic, epic, angry, brilliant fast run that drops into such a feeling so full of sorrow/feeling of loss or what might have been - and that's just TRYING to describe what it actually is and says - I can't. And ESPECIALLY as it is immortalised on film! GREAT choice. Often my No. 1 moment.

The extended intro into the No Quarter solo from original TSRTS soundtrack, that's brilliant.

Babe I'm Gonna Leave You - the whole song - Consider this is just the 2nd song from their first EVER album. That always just baffles me for how that defines what this group was capable of and delivered. Just beyond belief that this is actually just the 2nd song of their first freakin album. HOW?!?!?!

Other moments I alternate between...

For Your Life solo. Not sure why, but its just such a great fill and just takes you.

Most of the RAH gig filmed in 1970 - but especially the How Many More Times assault. Such a rockin pub groove.

The organ solo (2nd) from You Shook Me - BBC Sessions. Simple, gospel, and brilliant.

"and I know, that I love you so" The Rain Song - I get a lump in my throat, and CANNOT sing along to that part as I choke up. Its ridiculous. (true) So powerful.

"cough" - you can see why they left it in. So fitting, but who else would have left that in after that most EPIC studio jams? GOLD!!!!!!

And finally (because I'll go on all damn night) - "You're custard pie, sweet and nice! When you cut it momma, save me a slice of your...." When it get to that, just so rockin out. Start is so strong, then it just builds so much. Whole song is a moment really.

Can't argue with these too.

I'd add the version of "Sick Again" from 1977.06.23.

Archived