Gem of The Song Remains The Same album

William Austin

What was the best performance on The Song Remains The Same album?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What was the best performance on The Song Remains The Same album?

• No Quarter
    • Stairway To Heaven
    • Whole Lotta Love
    • The Rain Song
    • Dazed and Confused

Well actually my fave is NQ....I am a guitarist and the solo has not one mistake or weak point, It's just

one climax after another, incredible. And the whole performance is very atmospheric. RS, though, is

very close behind as Robert IMO lays out a almost mythic ally powerful AND subtle rendition.

I would say "The Song Remains The Same".  The one song that's definitely more effective than the studio version. For me, it's the quintessential officially released version. "The Rain Song" too, but the studio version has it's own vibe and strengths which stand on their own against live versions. Despite being a Frankenstein production, the whole soundtrack is awesome and laid the foundation for my obsesssion.

I would say "The Song Remains The Same".  The one song that's definitely more effective than the studio version. For me, it's the quintessential officially released version. "The Rain Song" too, but the studio version has it's own vibe and strengths which stand on their own against live versions. Despite being a Frankenstein production, the whole soundtrack is awesome and laid the foundation for my obsesssion.

Was gonna ask,where is the title cut?  I am not a fan of the soundtrack, but the version of TSRTS is so good, with all the stops and starts just perfect.

Well actually my fave is NQ....I am a guitarist and the solo has not one mistake or weak point, It's just

one climax after another, incredible. And the whole performance is very atmospheric. RS, though, is

very close behind as Robert IMO lays out a almost mythic ally powerful AND subtle rendition.

I have to agree, this version of NQ is very good.

NQ, that jam the three did blew me away when I first heard it. That was when I knew at a very young age of 15, Led Zeppelin is the best rock and roll band ever to form.

some can say Pink Floyd, others might say the Who, they are great, but in my opinion none of those bands came close to Zeppelin.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, a lot of people don't like The Song Remains the Same soundtrack - it's generally considered a poor presentation of a mediocre concert.

But I've never quite understood that. Yes, there are better performances from 1973 (much of the March European leg, and even a couple of the July '73 shows in the week or two before the Madison Square Garden shows). But as this poll shows, there are a good number of great performances there, and whatever your personal ranking, I think it's hard to argue against the notion that The Rain Song, No Quarter (original edit), Stairway, Celebration Day (original edit), and perhaps Black Dog are among the very best live versions that exist in any recorded form, with Dazed and Whole Lotta Love being quite good too, if not best-ever. Plus, while there are better renditions of Since I've Been Loving You, the Misty Mountain Hop-Since I've Been Loving You sequence on TSRTS is the equal of any similar sequence I've heard.

I agree. Pre-internet, I remember reading Dave Lewis's Celebration and it been described as a bit of a tired performance. When you actually listen to later tours - which were marred by Plant's flu, then drugs, then more drugs - you realise it's an absolutely brilliant concert. I think the definitive TSRTS release, with all the extra tracks (SIBLY, Black Dog, etc.) make you realise it's perhaps their finest moment live. For me, the gem was The Ocean. The swagger, the sound and the fact that Jimbo was still on the top of his game and had loads of confidence. '73 was Zep at their peak live. Because of the songs they had to draw on by that point, and Jimmy was still more or less at his best. It's controversial, but I actually prefer Plant singing lower. After '73, it was patchy. Although some of the '75 nights are sublime, and '77 has its own macabre glory.

I don't actually like "The Song Remains the Same."  In fact, I hate it...sorry.  It just grates on my nerves.  Does anyone else not like it or am I the only one? 

The soundtrack or just the song?  As others have pointed out, some don't like the soundtrack.  But IMHO, the song is one of their best!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived