Plant and Bonham

paplbojo

I know Plant and the others would hide Bonzo's drumsticks before shows sometimes.

But Plant and Bonham were best mates, and had known each other long before Led Zeppelin. I'm sure they "bantered" with each other all the time, so what do you mean? 

Are you wondering about fighting incidents?

According to legend, Bonzo punched Robert in the mouth and gave him a fat lip before an encore in Japan because Robert wanted Bonzo to pay him back for the petrol (gas) money that Robert paid and said that Bonzo owed him from an excursion the two had about a year or two prior while they where in their native Midlands. 

According to legend, Bonzo punched Robert in the mouth and gave him a fat lip before an encore in Japan because Robert wanted Bonzo to pay him back for the petrol (gas) money that Robert paid and said that Bonzo owed him from an excursion the two had about a year or two prior while they where in their native Midlands. 

I guess Jimmy was not the only Led Wallet in the band. They were millionaires by then, Plant asking for 5 quid or whatever from some stupid two year old gas bill is just being an asshole. Plant deserved a punch in the mouth, lucky Bonzo did not jam a drumstick up Roberts tight ass.

I remember it a little differently. Robert owed John the money. John punched Robert because he never paid it back.

They were close enough friends that this kind of stuff could happen and it wouldn't change their friendship.

I have heard stories from way back, not from the media, but from Midlands locals who spent time on the fringes of occasional unofficial band activities.  Money arguments were not uncommon, always over seemingly incidental matters like paying for drinks, etc.  These would be social gatherings and not actual touring.  I believe the story that was related to me was some kind of get-together with Plant and Page with Roy Harper in the Herefordshire countryside way, way back.  I don't know, but I suspect that one probably involved more Jimmy than Robert.  Jimmy's tight fistedness was famous.  Touring was always a lot more formalized when it came to paying for meals and drinks, as those occasions were taken care of by Grant/Cole. 

Now if you want to hear real cheapskate stories, Rod Stewart was legendary, making Jimmy seem like a drunken sailor.

I have heard stories from way back, not from the media, but from Midlands locals who spent time on the fringes of occasional unofficial band activities.  Money arguments were not uncommon, always over seemingly incidental matters like paying for drinks, etc.  These would be social gatherings and not actual touring.  I believe the story that was related to me was some kind of get-together with Plant and Page with Roy Harper in the Herefordshire countryside way, way back.  I don't know, but I suspect that one probably involved more Jimmy than Robert.  Jimmy's tight fistedness was famous.  Touring was always a lot more formalized when it came to paying for meals and drinks, as those occasions were taken care of by Grant/Cole. 

Now if you want to hear real cheapskate stories, Rod Stewart was legendary, making Jimmy seem like a drunken sailor.

Richard Cole mentioned that Plant and Bonham frequently argued over "stupid stuff like whose turn it was to pay for a round" in his book, Stairway To Heaven.  The stories you heard would seem to support Cole's account.  

Care to post any any of those....?

if I didn't have to search for them, I would. I have a Sabbath book library, and the stories are in several of the books. There are stories and photos of Bonzo and Tony together, even as part of the wedding party. There are some YouTube videos as well. 

• 2 years later...
On 10/10/2015 at 8:12 PM, Disco Duck said:

Richard Cole mentioned that Plant and Bonham frequently argued over "stupid stuff like whose turn it was to pay for a round" in his book, Stairway To Heaven.  The stories you heard would seem to support Cole's account.  

I think that's hilarious. Gods of rock quarreling over the tab. 

Archived