Zeppelin with Black Sabbath

searcher200

Never knew our fave was called the "kings of acid-hard rock", not to mention the butchering of the titles, I do get it was a long time ago, media is not what it is today, still good for some grins though.

Yes, and Zeppelins drummer, Moby Dick, was awesome too. I guess Bonzo was taking a vacation day that show.

Lucky sob's got to hear the ultra rare "Black Velvet". :rolleyes::lol:

Bonzo was best man at Tony Iommi's wedding.Bonzo got absolutely shitfaced the night before and when Tony took him home in the early hours with some abuse from Pat he wondered if he would make the wedding.Sure enough Bonzo turned up next morning in his suit as best man and chauffer.Read Tony's biography Iron Man for the full story  with a pic of the wedding.Bonzo was also in the wings at a Sabs gig when he said that Ronnie Dio had a great voice for a midget which didn't go down to well with RJD.

As much as I love and respect Bonham for his talent, he was obviously a very insecure man. RJD was one of the kindest, sweetest people in the world of rock, not just a massive talent, but a truly nice person. For Bonzo to act as he did, to be so blatantly and openly offensive to RJD, there is no excuse. Maybe he was still pissed off from getting the shit kicked out of him by that mini-bouncer who decided to teach Bonzo a lesson.

As much as I love and respect Bonham for his talent, he was obviously a very insecure man. RJD was one of the kindest, sweetest people in the world of rock, not just a massive talent, but a truly nice person. For Bonzo to act as he did, to be so blatantly and openly offensive to RJD, there is no excuse. Maybe he was still pissed off from getting the shit kicked out of him by that mini-bouncer who decided to teach Bonzo a lesson.

:wacko:

Never knew our fave was called the "kings of acid-hard rock", not to mention the butchering of the titles, I do get it was a long time ago, media is not what it is today, still good for some grins though.

Lol, no the media hasn't changed a bit. 

• 3 weeks later...

Sabbath's keyboard player, Geoff Nicholls, said the incident with Bonzo making 'midget' quips about Dio took place backstage at Hammersmith Odeon, when Sabbath did a run of shows there in 1980. Geoff said that all four members of Led Zeppelin went to see the same gig, but didn't mention anyone else going back to the dressing room afterwards, except Bonzo.    

I remember reading in Circus that Zeppelin went to see Sabbath with Ronnie. Bill Ward said something about them going backstage and Robert was chatting away while Jimmy didn't say a word but just stood there and smiled. The Bonham / Ronnie incident wasn't mentioned, but I would assume it was the same night.

I also read that Jimmy actually travelled with Heaven and Hell for a show or two. I don't really know the details... but sounds pretty cool.

• 2 weeks later...

RJD was a gentleman, loved his work with Rainbow, that is where he was best.

• 2 weeks later...

Sabbath were at their creative pinnacle with Ronnie.

"Lonely is the Word" and "Children of the Sea" (a nod to Zep) are beautiful in their composition.

Although I don't consider that Sabbath, the Ronnie albums were great, I think Ronnie would've benefitted more if they would've called the band something else other than Black Sabbath, maybe Black Rainbow. But yes the DIO/Sabbath albums were good, from Heaven and Hell to The Devil You Know.

• 7 months later...
On 10/23/2015 at 11:02 AM, The Rover 75 said:

It was a popular term back them.  I remember my dad saying Led Zeppelin was acid rock.  He was not into that music at all and grew up before Rock and Roll and listened to Big Band 1940's music.

4 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

Black Sabbath's Ozzy Osbourne and Tony Iommi look back on their legendary studio jam with Led Zeppelin - the greatest session you've never heard

http://teamrock.com/feature/2016-07-05/black-sabbath-led-zeppelin-story-of-jam-session

well, the greatest session you've never heard :P an old story but its nice to have a bit more insight.

• 5 months later...

Archived