New Soundboard - March 3, 1975 Fort Worth

apantherfrommd

Listen to you!  :-D    Thanks for the kind words, "S"...

Was living in Colorado Springs in 1977.....  Somehow Barry Fey failed to snag them on their way to the Seattle show in July 1977 and we know now that the following weeks' two Oakland shows were the final US shows ever....  While on vacation in Houston in early '77, my sister very cruelly showed me HER ticket to the "Dragon Snake" Houston Summit 77 show, and my wife attended as well.....

At least my Houston '75 experience was front row center and the very first live Zeppelin show after the actual release of Physical Graffiti - so I got one chance to hear Kashmir on the album before JP blew me away with that hypnotic riff live on his Les Paul as you mention, not the Danelectro....  Those '75 versions of Kashmir were powerful indeed and it was brand new music to us!

Here's a few of my cheesy little Kodak instamatic 110 photos of the "undocumented" Houston gig in February 1975:

Led Zep Houston Watermark 1975.jpg

JPJ James Patrick Page and Bonzo Houston 1975.jpg

housotn75-c.jpg

Jimmy Page Houston 1975 WM.jpg

JPJ and JP Houston 1975.jpg

I always liked that rhinestone choker Jimmy occasionally wore on the 1975 tour.

Just listened to my copy of the Fort Worth show; without question, this show is a John Bonzo Bonham showcase.

He stretches and changes some of the arrangements with his drum fills. (Rock and Roll, OTHAFA and others) Bonzo gets really crazy at the end of the Stairway solo so much that they mess up the end of the song.

The band does get lost during a section of In My Time of Dying and John Paul Jones has trouble finding the correct bass pedal notes during The Rain Song. But overall the performance by the band is very good with Bonzo shining above all.

Roberts vocals are not at top performance at the beginning of the show but seem to warm up by the time of Kashmir.

Sound quality is very good. So much so that you can hear Bonzo tell his drum tech (off mic) after Sick Again “Snare drum sounds very timid – turn it up a bit” and you can hear the guitar amplifiers hum during the middle bow section of Dazed and Confuzed.

The balance (mix) of the sound is a little off. The bass and keyboards dominate most of the show. (Except The Song Remains the Same)However, Bonzo’s bass drum is prominent during Moby Dick solo (to good effect) and there is panning from left to right on the timpani section.

Robert talks to the audience quite a bit. After Kashmir he says “ The more you play ‘em – The better they seem to get. Maybe we should record’em again.

The best performance during the show is Over The Hills and Far Away. One of the most powerful I ever heard. (and I’ve hear most of them) Honorable mention to the performance of Sick Again; Jones and Bonham are locked in.

Now to revisit the Dallas shows along St. Louis and San Diego.

Just listened to my copy of the Fort Worth show; without question, this show is a John Bonzo Bonham showcase.

He stretches and changes some of the arrangements with his drum fills. (Rock and Roll, OTHAFA and others) Bonzo gets really crazy at the end of the Stairway solo so much that they mess up the end of the song.

The band does get lost during a section of In My Time of Dying and John Paul Jones has trouble finding the correct bass pedal notes during The Rain Song. But overall the performance by the band is very good with Bonzo shining above all.

Roberts vocals are not at top performance at the beginning of the show but seem to warm up by the time of Kashmir.

Sound quality is very good. So much so that you can hear Bonzo tell his drum tech (off mic) after Sick Again “Snare drum sounds very timid – turn it up a bit” and you can hear the guitar amplifiers hum during the middle bow section of Dazed and Confuzed.

The balance (mix) of the sound is a little off. The bass and keyboards dominate most of the show. (Except The Song Remains the Same)However, Bonzo’s bass drum is prominent during Moby Dick solo (to good effect) and there is panning from left to right on the timpani section.

Robert talks to the audience quite a bit. After Kashmir he says “ The more you play ‘em – The better they seem to get. Maybe we should record’em again.

The best performance during the show is Over The Hills and Far Away. One of the most powerful I ever heard. (and I’ve hear most of them) Honorable mention to the performance of Sick Again; Jones and Bonham are locked in.

Now to revisit the Dallas shows along St. Louis and San Diego.

Groovy sixpense! Thanks for the early review. Record show is coming up next month and I hope to get my copy then.

Howdy folks. Who has given this a listen, and prefers it over the two Dallas shows the nights after? Looking forward to giving this a listen. :D

ps. I don't have a copy of the files yet, myself, but if you have any trouble finding one PM me. i will at least point you in the right direction. :) Non-torrent downloads are out there already for the less tech-savvy, like myself.

I listened to my copy 4 or 5 times today. Solid performance, soundboard a little sterile, Plant's vocals sound a little rough in spots (maybe still a touch of the flu from February) Jimmy sounds decent. A 7.5 performance in my opinion. 

This show is a fantastic addition to the collection! The night is packed with energy and you can tell the band is having a great time - and I'd agree it's one of the best shows of '75

This is definitely Bonzo's night and you can tell just from the opening Rock and Roll what type of night it's going to be! 

The sound quality is excellent to boot. 

This show is a fantastic addition to the collection! The night is packed with energy and you can tell the band is having a great time - and I'd agree it's one of the best shows of '75

This is definitely Bonzo's night and you can tell just from the opening Rock and Roll what type of night it's going to be! 

The sound quality is excellent to boot. 

Nice pun. ;)

My thoughts so far. I give Kashmir and NQ 9.5 for sound, because many of the ’75 soundboards have balance issues with Jonesy’s bass pedals, which are either missing, missing for the first half of Kashmir, or too loud and drown out the guitar. TSRTS and IMTOD are my favorites. No Quarter is decent, but lacks energy and focus. Great show for John Bonham, one of the best caught on soundboard IMO. John Paul Jones sounds loose, but as usual he’s great. He just sounds like he’s had a couple glasses of wine behind the amplifiers. Robert is hoarse throughout, but actually does a decent job making the best of it. Jimmy sounds really focused and alert (most of the time), which is nice, but during the solos it is obvious he’s having trouble stretching those fingers to hit the notes. You can hear him trying his best though. At times it sounds like he’s playing with two fingers only. Which isn’t all that hard for a seasoned guitarist, just not even close to ideal. Great gig. Loose and full of energy. Sound quality and balance is especially nice on this one.

ROCK AND ROLL
Performance- 7/10
Sound/Balance- 8/10
SICK AGAIN
Performance- 7/10
Sound/Balance- 8.5/10
OVER THE HILLS AND FAR AWAY
Performance- 7.5/10
Sound/Balance- 9/10
IN MY TIME OF DYING
Performance- 9/10
Sound/Balance- 9/10
THE SONG REMAINS THE SAME
Performance- 9/10
Sound/Balance- 9/10
THE RAIN SONG
Performance- 7.5/10
Sound/Balance- 9/10
KASHMIR
Performance- 9/10
Sound/Balance- 9.5/10
NO QUARTER
Performance- 8/10
Sound/Balance- 9.5/10
TRAMPLED UNDERFOOT
Performance- 7/10
Sound/Balance- 9.5/10

Edit to add that I'd give TSRTS a 9.5 on performance if I were making the list now. Almost did when I made it, but it isn't perfect. But MAN! :blink::oB)

B)

Amen. That was my first impression of the new board. "Finally, a good '75 board with a decent ending" (Stairway to the end). True true. Stairway is playful, and Bonham is a giant on that track. The encores are just solid performances. Listen to the other sbd's from '75 and you'll get really messy and sloppy encores. Not that slop is bad, its good IMO, but too much just takes all the enjoyment out of the listening experience. Visually and aurally, like the people seeing it happen live, I'm sure it was fine. But we don't want too much slop on these crystal clear, unforgiving, soundboards.

Still listening to this one! Its such a fun recording.

Ps. if you want a copy, mp3 or flac, and have a few hours to spare :lol: just google guitars101 led zeppelin ;) and you might get lucky

I am listening to this right now thanks to a good friend of mine living in England :-)  I tend to not over analyze sound quality from 1975 but in my opinion this one is gold :-) I have 140+ shows and this one sounds as good as any show could. . Percy as mentioned in the other reviews is having it rough go at it and Bonzo seems tiptop… The band over all sounds pretty damn good. .it doesn't seem to me the EVSD  guys screwed with this one too much because the sound quality is superb… It's a must-have :)

PS  The humming on DAC can be a little maddening

Fantabulous audio. Awesome sync! Great angles for Jimmy and Robert. 

Jonesy's fingers are flying there at the end of the video. Looks like his typing 90 wps with one hand. :lol:  I'm glad we have some Kashmir in there too. Super job LZF.  Thank you. :thumbsup:

ditto. .thanks LZF:)

Howdy folks. Who has given this a listen, and prefers it over the two Dallas shows the nights after? Looking forward to giving this a listen. :D

I know you have by now given this a listen, but FWIW, I definitely prefer this to the Dallas shows - better performance and easier on the ears.

I also agree with others who talk about the strong ending. Some of the soloing late in Black Dog is subpar because (as others have noted) Page clearly is having trouble playing without the full use of his busted finger. But the whole band is focused, "tight but loose," and judging by Plant's words and tone, in a very good mood that night - and the mood really seems to show in the quality of the performance.

Finally, I find this sounds very nice with a little EQ and a little reverb - and also a bit less congested sounding than a lot of other '75 boards.

Attending both Dallas shows, both good, but the March 4th show edges out the 2nd Dallas show.

The experience of being there.... D&C was the pinnacle of that '75 show, Jimmy was white hot on the solo. It seems that --all-- of the band members were firing on all cylinders. R&R, TSRTS, NQ, & HB were also stand outs for me. Which was a make-up of sorts for the previous two Dallas shows, '73, with JPJ ribs issue, and '71 with Robert's throat ailment. 

Hi, 

There is that huge cut in No Quarter on the soundboard of the first Dallas show. (maybe other cuts too, i dont remember)

Is it still there on the new ''remastered'' version in Statistical Analyzing Shot? 

And is there other big differences on the remastered second Dallas show, San Diego and St. Louis shows, compared to the older versions?

Hi, 

There is that huge cut in No Quarter on the soundboard of the first Dallas show. (maybe other cuts too, i dont remember)

Is it still there on the new ''remastered'' version in Statistical Analyzing Shot? 

And is there other big differences on the remastered second Dallas show, San Diego and St. Louis shows, compared to the older versions?

Yes, sections still missing. I haven't finished listening to the rest, Just St, Louis s far, which sounds very good.

Yes, sections still missing. I haven't finished listening to the rest, Just St, Louis s far, which sounds very good.

Thats a bummer, but I'm guessing its cut because it wasn't recorded. Tape ran out, etc, who knows. I just think if it was intentionally cut, there would be more cuts than just that one. Well, thats the biggest NQ cut I know of from any of the '75 boards, I mean. Could be worse. (cough '77)

Thats a bummer, but I'm guessing its cut because it wasn't recorded. Tape ran out, etc, who knows. I just think if it was intentionally cut, there would be more cuts than just that one. Well, thats the biggest NQ cut I know of from any of the '75 boards, I mean. Could be worse. (cough '77)

That NQ from the first Dallas show was shaping up to be epic...and then it's cut. Such a bummer. 

That NQ from the first Dallas show was shaping up to be epic...and then it's cut. Such a bummer. 

I'll never forget stumbling upon that cut. I was thinking "man, this might be one of the best ones on soundboard" and about 10 seconds later it went to the end of the cut. I was like "wha... oh. well thats nice." :rolleyes: But both Dallas recordings are great to have, and the 2nd night has a decent version. Just probably nothing like the night before. Hopefully an audience tape will surface.

Archived