New Soundboard - March 3, 1975 Fort Worth

apantherfrommd

Does anyone else think it could be Scarlet Page or a different band member's kid supplying these tapes? There not getting enough "allowance" from daddy maybe. That's always what I thought. Could be an ex-wife or girlfriend too.

Those are more likely than Showco.

Don't remember where, or when, but I do remember hearing that somebody doing sound with Showco left some things to their family. Don't have a source, and I'm probably just remembering someones speculation anyway. But that makes sense to me, because I can't think of anyone else who would have (any) rights to the stuff, besides somebody doing sound. Say they were doing sound, and recorded things for their own interests/Showco's own interests. Idk. Me just speculating now, but if I did sound professionally, I'd want to keep a recording of what I worked on, just as a way of record keeping really. And if you had tapes to prove the sound was consistent each night, nobody could say you did a bad job as a sound man, ex. at the end of the tour. Who knows. Unless the person comes forward (possible that has already happened and I just missed it, too) I don't really care.

Do think tapes are like cars, in a way. Cars are meant to run, they want to run. Tapes are meant to be heard, they want to be heard. B)

Just got a copy but my eyelids are getting heavy so a proper listen will have to wait till tomorrow.Looking forward to it!

I'm stunned that in this day and age people spend this much money (or any, for that matter) on bootlegs. Back in the day you'd buy some to get you started or fill in what you couldn't get through trading, but to pay more for a boot than even a remastered compilation? I don't get it...

No musician children were used in the leaking of these live show recordings. I mean, it's possible like an armadillo becoming an astrophysicist is, but highly improbable. There's better more lucrative ways of making money, like, say, having a career. Crazy idea, I know...

Some interesting insights about this show here already, but unlike giving away surprises of a movie, no matter what's written, it won't take anything away from the experience of listening to it. 

I'm stunned that in this day and age people spend this much money (or any, for that matter) on bootlegs. Back in the day you'd buy some to get you started or fill in what you couldn't get through trading, but to pay more for a boot than even a remastered compilation? I don't get it...

At the risk of pointing out the obvious -and it's interesting that this particular show, though it's already circulating, still hasn't appeared on any of the usual suspect live music torrent sites yet- but SOMEBODY had to shell out the bucks for the thing in order to circulate it freely. 

There will always be people who buy bootlegs, just like there will always be people who go out and buy CDs/vinyl etc instead of merely downloading them for free. Holding an actual physical copy of something and digging the artwork and whatnot is always nice. So, yeah, there is and will always be a market for these things, even if it has gotten smaller over the years. And it's a good goddamn thing, too, because if nobody was buying them then there'd be no reason for bootleg companies to keep making them, right?

Anyway, I've heard this show, finally :lol: IMO it's good, but not great- there are certainly better '75 shows to be had. I just think it's cool that they actually put out something previously uncirculated for a change.

At the risk of pointing out the obvious -and it's interesting that this particular show, though it's already circulating, still hasn't appeared on any of the usual suspect live music torrent sites yet- but SOMEBODY had to shell out the bucks for the thing in order to circulate it freely. 

There will always be people who buy bootlegs, just like there will always be people who go out and buy CDs/vinyl etc instead of merely downloading them for free. Holding an actual physical copy of something and digging the artwork and whatnot is always nice. So, yeah, there is and will always be a market for these things, even if it has gotten smaller over the years. And it's a good goddamn thing, too, because if nobody was buying them then there'd be no reason for bootleg companies to keep making them, right?

Anyway, I've heard this show, finally :lol: IMO it's good, but not great- there are certainly better '75 shows to be had. I just think it's cool that they actually put out something previously uncirculated for a change.

Your second last point is the soundest

reason, I think. I get the physical connection, too, but to official releases. Vinyl and cd's and all other physics formats used to be the only ways one could get their hands on listening material, but now, you don't need it. I mean, people could want it still, sure, and it's a source of pleasure for some to whatever extent, but to me the essence is always the music, and so if a boot box is nor cluttering the shelf and I still get the sound, and for free, all the better.

Seems like if five people decided to buy a box together then spread it, or better yet the bootleggers just went digital, there would be no need for lawsuits it questionable ethics, but profit rules the day for them.

It strange that someone is holding on to a possession that isn't theirs or of their making yet then puts in the effort to dress it up and use that to make a profit. Again, production used to be the only way, but now, it's not necessary, just desired by, I suppose, at least 150 people (which, by the way, is a clever way of increasing desire. Limited edition, hurry!).

I waited and got it for free on a trusted site (it IS already out there). If you or others like the physical product, well, then you pay for it, but I wonder if you were to go to said company's office and take a box off their shelf whether they would charge you with an offense lol

There are several issues woven in here and I don't think I unpacked them well, but maybe I'll have a clearer head once I've heard the boot :D

Hang on I have to clean this up a bit, on my phone, can't make the changes I want...

After a couple of cursory listens I think this is a very nice show indeed. Both JP and JPJ seem keen to go out on a limb at times and do things a bit differently. That's not being sloppy. Jimmy's playing great as ever in 75, and JB on drums is having a great time throughout. Jimmy does lose it a bit in Black Dog, but nothing tragic.

By "typical dry sounding" do you mean typical for the 1975 soundboards or typical for the 1977s? Because there is a world of difference between the two.

Speaking of The Rolling Stones, I don't know if anyone has noticed (especially Jimmy Page), but the Stones just released another show from the vault! In short order, the Stones have released Hampton '81, LA Forum '75, Marquee Club '71, Hyde Park 2013, and now Tokyo Dome 1990. There is also the 1971 Leeds show on the deluxe version of "Sticky Fingers" and Brussels '73 is also available thru the band officially. These are shows that have long been bootlegged and they are not perfect, yet the Stones have put them out as official releases with great sound, UNEDITED!, and to much acclaim from fans and critics alike.

Jimmy Page, are you paying attention? A Led Zeppelin Live from the Vault series would go over like gangbusters!

Not sure really, I'm not that familiar with 77 sbd's my 77 CDR's are the Millard Forum shows so I grabbed a couple of boards from Dime, I got Larry Badgley 27/4 and Landover 26/5. The 27/4 to my ears has a richer fuller sound than 26/5. TBH though I can't decide which year is better (sound  not performance) it depends on what the playback medium is, Hi-Fi, i-pod, Car stereo, PC speakers, Laptop speakers. I'm sorry I can't give a definitive answer to me dry is dry.

As for the Stones I have all the shows you mention plus the just out Vault release Leeds 82 Roundhay Park. As you say they are not perfect but as Stones fan I can forgive that, I will say though that having to buy the super expensive Sticky Fingers Deluxe to get Leeds 71 was a bit much.

I will need to listen again with headphones, but so far I would rate it in the second tier of '75 shows. Seems to be a lot sibilance from the cymbals and sometimes from Robert.  

Seems that the sibilance was from the iPhone FM transmitter I use in my car. On second listen with headphones, I didn't encounter any problems. 

A very good '75 show, but I would rate 3-5 higher and probably 2-28 as well (just mentioning those in "the vicinity"). "No Quarter" is really a good one, as is OTHAFA.

On IMTOD, when Jimmy ought to go into the solo, as it were, he holds back. I wonder if that was intentional or a goof. If a goof, it's one worth keeping. 

I got distracted and by the time I returned to edit my first response, it was too late, sorry :)

Basically, yes, there's a market for the physical format, though with the formats available today, there's a way to release the music online without anyone paying for it - pure sharing. I suppose that people will gripe about sound even of the highest digital quality, but I wonder how much of a difference that makes for these types of live recordings. 

And for those who simply like to collect the physical formats, even Jimmy gave options other than complete box sets. Just saying... 

Anyway, I downloaded mine, am looking forward to hearing the others in this set and will get them because I'm curious how they compare to what's already out there :D

• 3 weeks later...

Me, I've got no choice - only got internet/computer access at work. Seriously!

So if I want to hear bootlegs, I still have to buy them.

I don't mind - crappy 10th-gen cassettes used to cost a fiver from record fairs 30 years ago, so 15 quid for a good quality cd copy of this new soundboard was well worth it. 

• 10 months later...
On 11/25/2015 at 6:23 AM, mrledhed said:

Does anyone else think it could be Scarlet Page or a different band member's kid supplying these tapes? There not getting enough "allowance" from daddy maybe. That's always what I thought. Could be an ex-wife or girlfriend too.

Those are more likely than Showco.

I never knew she wrote any books and was took under the wing of Neil Preston or someone doing photography.   What a Coinkidink that under Scarlet's portfolio she has a bunch of Robbie Williams photos during different sessions.   I'd figure Robbie would play nice neighbor with Jimmy being there some relation with Scarlet, but guess not

• 1 year later...

Reviving this thread for the show's 43rd anniversary.  I've just finished my listen for the day, and I think it's a great show.  Would definitely rank it in my Top 15 '75 shows, maybe even the Top 10.

I don't find it to be as sloppy as some said in this thread back in 2015, and the excellent energy level more than makes up for any slight missteps.  Bonham, in particular, is really firing on all cylinders, and with more of his Europe '73/U.S. '77 style of almost overplaying (in the best way possible)--listen to the way he explodes after his usual 'big fill' spot in TSRTS, and how he makes the big fill at the return to the main riff in Dazed much more complex.  Also, I was reading some of the previous posts in this thread, and someone said that Moby Dick is mediocre; I vehemently disagree with that!

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 10:20 PM, Bonzo_fan said:

Reviving this thread for the show's 43rd anniversary.  I've just finished my listen for the day, and I think it's a great show.  Would definitely rank it in my Top 15 '75 shows, maybe even the Top 10.

I don't find it to be as sloppy as some said in this thread back in 2015, and the excellent energy level more than makes up for any slight missteps.  Bonham, in particular, is really firing on all cylinders, and with more of his Europe '73/U.S. '77 style of almost overplaying (in the best way possible)--listen to the way he explodes after his usual 'big fill' spot in TSRTS, and how he makes the big fill at the return to the main riff in Dazed much more complex.  Also, I was reading some of the previous posts in this thread, and someone said that Moby Dick is mediocre; I vehemently disagree with that!

Agreed, I really like this show.  It is on the sloppy side, but the energy and spontaneity are what make it so enjoyable, this is what's missing from many '75 performances.

Archived