Jimmy Page's Persona

BlueGhost

The nosy parker in me wants to know what makes Page tick.  However, part of  me admires his refusal to explain himself.  His reticence is rare in this age of celebrities who share way too much with the public.  Jimmy Page isn't sharing his innermost thoughts and secrets with us.  He isn't going to bare his soul for our entertainment.  

I haven't been on these forum for a while, i know....... (well, I've just been very busy). This discussion made me think....

I feel the same as Disco Duck does I suppose. A part of me is very curious and wants to know what makes Jimmy tick. Another part of me respects the fact that Jimmy refuses to be more outspoken about himself. I think somehow he is quite right, about not wanting to bare his sould, just for entertainment purposes....... We have enough young popstars/celebrities who do just throw everything out there, on social media, not the smartest thing to do..... The fact the JImmy leaves us some questions about himself/his personality, also makes him all the more interesting.

Since this thread is "Jimmy Page's persona" - I'll post this here....

THIS.

This is Jimmy page's persona...

I had thrill chills when I first saw this premiere at TIFF and I don't know if it's the recent full moon or what, but seeing this clip made me a bit misty eyed.  It always felt a bit bittersweet for Jimmy to be walking away into the house with the voice over being what it was. It would incredible to have him walking out of a space, whether that one or another, in his return. 

He is a very mysterious person, and that draws in the attraction. Page is a very intellectual person and he knows exactly what he's doing. He did so from the start. 

In his nature, he's a very introverted person. But he's not ashamed of his interests at all and he wants accomplishment. The thought of magic fascinated him at a young age and he got more and more intrigued by it. 

I get the sense he wants to be very well respected for being so hard working, but he doesn't want to exactly be the main attraction, that he left to Plant. But he still wasn't ignored. 

The mystery of him makes you want to know more and more. Makes you question. You perhaps even feel like Page did when he was just getting interested in everything that makes him who he is today.

Some people are a mystery, and Mr. Page is one of them. I liked that he managed to keep low-key unlike some of the other rockers who shoved their lifestyles in everyone's face.

It's weird that even though he is a rockstar, he doesn't really seem like one. He's more of, well, a genius. He is mild-mannered while maintaining his powerful, mysterious aura. The way his very name brings such curiosity to many and how monumental his music is, this is what makes him powerful.

He does have a very interesting personality and I like how he doesn't give too much away during interviews while still being polite. :)

I have never met, spoken to, or interacted with Page in any way-nor any other musician/actor or writer that I like. So unlike most fans I do not construct any ideas about what he might be like as a person as I don't know him at all. I read the occasional article/interview, but as such things are heavily edited prior to release, and many have a limited agenda as to what questions to ask etc, I never make the mistake of trying to base an evaluation of Page as a person on those. Nor do I do that by looking at the, very limited, actions you get to see as a fan-eg concerts or outcomes such as Page overseen releases as I have no idea at all of the context of any of his decisions, as I am not privy to any of those processes. So I find discussions such as this thread distinctly strange. But that's just me I guess.

Having been fortunate enough to meet Jimmy, and actually spend some one on one time with him, I can say (from my experience), that he is thoughtful and very much a gentleman. He is not self absorbed and was as interested in me, as I was in him. I did not sense that he was mysterious; I think that is mystique as much as anything. He struck me as a regular chap, and he didn't have a huge ego, or any ego that I could detect. Again, these are just observations that I made. It takes much more to really know someone than a short meeting. He exceeded my expectations of him.

Rather interesting all the different viewpoints, although not that different. Jimmy is certainly a private

person, yet he obviously felt a need some of the time for SOME public adulation. In many ways he is in

fact a gentleman, yet he could compete quite well with some of rock's more extreme characters. IMO

he is a very complex person, with contradictory qualities. I fully agree that he has preserved a certain

mystery by not disclosing every fine detail about his past and present life. You think he's mysterious now ??

After Bonzo's death, there was no net, no Page updates, nothing. In fact few even knew he was a drug 

addict, didn't even suspect it. Hard to believe, isn't it ??

Over time things have managed to leak out to the public. Rather scary territory for a guy who
isn't keen on his life being displayed like he's on some reality TV show. What does someone
do when unsavory details about their private life come out to the public many years later?
In Jimmy's case maybe you attempt to sweep it under the rug, but at the same time privately
deal with it. Compare if you will to Keith. Busted in the 70's for H. It was out there for the world
to hear about. Where as with Jimmy it was kept a bit more under wraps. Coming from an era with
no internet to now where people are in your face ready to whip out their phones and  tweet a 30 sec
video at your embarrassing worst - immediately as it happens. Nothing is kept hidden anymore.

As far as why would we want to discuss the personality of an individual we don't know? Well people
who are into human behavior and human psyche in general would give us a million reasons why.
There's a reason people go into those fields. I'm not interested in "Hammer Of The Gods" or "I'm
With The Band" books to help me figure out life for rock stars in the 70's. I can connect the dots
without that. Besides those books don't really tell me much about Jimmy. It tells me other peoples
views on Jimmy. Nah pass. The only book that maybe I'd read would be if Charlotte Martin ever took
that plunge, but something tells me that isn't going to happen.

Jimmy Page and who he is behind the music will always find a way to go down such a twisted little path.
Either it arouses your mind or it doesn't. Different personalities, ages, sexes make up Zep fandom.
Different threads will have different people participating in them. Like their music, songs, albums, live
shows we enjoy listening to compared to the next person. It's going to be different.

These postings seem to be mostly from guys. I'm humored by the seriousness of the comments, although I agree with most of them. I'm a women well into middle age, and am revisiting Led Zeppelin with a passion I didn't have when I saw them in Chicago during their first or second tour. Their music wasn't like anything else, even early in their career, and it has stood the test of time, in fact, it is timeless. Finally, every time I watch a video of Zeppelin, or look at the pictures of Jimmy in Page's pictorial biography, I am smitten, and totally in love! He is just stinkin' sexy!

• 7 months later...

Jimmy Page is a private guy.. He knows whatever he says will be read by millions.

About Jim Morrison being a fake, I think Jim acknowledged putting on a show on stage, but I was talking with a music friend about how some live. For example, you have some guy write lyrics about not selling out, and then putting out a commercial. Jim could have got half or even full musical credit, but it was split 4 ways. He was the guy who went berserk when the other three Doors sold their song. Now, I hear all those "anti-establishment" bands do it, and it's sickening.

I hate listening to Led Zeppelin on a commercial :(

Morrison a fake ?? He really pushed some boundaries, like his own mortality with totally reckless drug/booze intake,

and seriously pushing cops to the limit. A fake may manage a few outrageous behaviors, but Morrison was pushing 

everything to the limit. Anyway, my view of Jimmy's persona may be different than others, because I was into Zep

before the end, and it was terribly disappointing to find out in Hammer OF The Gods that Jimmy was so drugged

up. I know a lot about the occult, and serious occultists make a big point to not get addicted to any drug, as this 

can totally sap the will. This became very evident in Jimmy. So Jimmy's "occult powers" apparently vanished.

Anyway I agree with most that Jimmy is a very secretive and complex person, and he naturally emanates a sort

of royal aura. Luckily Jimmy regained his guitar skills, so that's great, and he is known to be friendly and humble even.

If you weren't around for Jimmy's downfall and rehabilitation, you may very well not like this post.

To understand Jimmy one needs to realize that Page, first and foremost, considers himself an artist. That has always been his goal, always been his muse...art. Like most great artists they can be meticulously controlled chaos and Page is no exception. Page may have been interested in the occult and Thelema in particular, but in the end he really was just a dilettante in regard to the occult, a collector like any true artist. Also like most great artists, the pressures to produce new, creative, cutting edge art (music or otherwise) can become overwhelming which can lead to substance abuse to quell the insecurities.

The really great thing about Page is, unlike most great artists in his position, he came out the other side, stronger, healthier, wiser with his chops intact. Van Gogh, Byron, Rimbaud, Verlaine, Mozart, Parker, Callas, Hendrix, Morrison, etc... were not so lucky.

On 12/6/2015 at 8:49 AM, The Dark Lord said:

Having been fortunate enough to meet Jimmy, and actually spend some one on one time with him, I can say (from my experience), that he is thoughtful and very much a gentleman. He is not self absorbed and was as interested in me, as I was in him. I did not sense that he was mysterious; I think that is mystique as much as anything. He struck me as a regular chap, and he didn't have a huge ego, or any ego that I could detect. Again, these are just observations that I made. It takes much more to really know someone than a short meeting. He exceeded my expectations of him.

I too have met Jimmy... 5 different times. The first is the most memorable as it happened on the Outrider tour, so security was nowhere around and he was sitting at the bar at his hotel having a beer. I approached him, wondering what would happen. I tapped him on his left shoulder, he turned and looked at me, and I was wearing a shirt of his that I bought at the show that night. He smiled. Then I asked if he would have some time to chat. He said... Absolutely! Then he got up and turned his chair around... the chairs had huge backs on them, and by turning it around it made it easier for us to have more personal contact.

He spent roughly 30 minutes with me and a friend and was as nice and as humble as one could be. As big of a fan as I was before meeting him, I was an even bigger one after. He really does want to know about you, what you thought of the show, if I had Outrider and what did I think of that. He is a fascinating person and a complete gentleman.

38 minutes ago, Dr Death said:

I too have met Jimmy... 5 different times. The first is the most memorable as it happened on the Outrider tour, so security was nowhere around and he was sitting at the bar at his hotel having a beer. I approached him, wondering what would happen. I tapped him on his left shoulder, he turned and looked at me, and I was wearing a shirt of his that I bought at the show that night. He smiled. Then I asked if he would have some time to chat. He said... Absolutely! Then he got up and turned his chair around... the chairs had huge backs on them, and by turning it around it made it easier for us to have more personal contact.

He spent roughly 30 minutes with me and a friend and was as nice and as humble as one could be. As big of a fan as I was before meeting him, I was an even bigger one after. He really does want to know about you, what you thought of the show, if I had Outrider and what did I think of that. He is a fascinating person and a complete gentleman.

That's the James Patrick Page that I've come to know for the past 31+ years.......  Here's a shot from the "Outrider era" in 1988....

Love the man - simply put - and how he has treated me and my entire family for decades -  Nuff said...!

jimbo.jpg

It is truly heart warming to think the hero of your mis-spent youth, and the brains/engine of the band that truly changed you is a gentleman and in the cases pointed out above, at least, if the occasion and mood was right, would sit for a chat with a respectful fan or associate in the industry. To think that could actually happen.

In other words...

Fucking LEGEND.

Ah, the public, yeah. But the press and industry people, Jimmy has had some noticeable problems. Not sure if many 

fans know( some do) but from early Zep till the very end, Zep was not revered by the press much. Although Jimmy

has perhaps exaggerated this somewhat, the tide of total Zep adulation really blossomed when the 1990 remasters

and so on came out. Another funny thing is that totally unlike today, Zep and Page really didn't give constant interviews

at all. No doubt Jimmy's eccentric habits and lack of exposure made him a legend or mythic figure in his own time.

But there are interviews (also post-Zep) where Page gets easily provoked and seems very cranky. Again Jimmy is pretty

complex.

• 3 weeks later...

I think to be private and have mystique about his private life and the drugs is fine and commendable, but when asked about music matters and he is deliberately vague time after time, it becomes tiresome, and makes for a crap interview. Sometimes a direct answer would be good. I think the majority of fans would appreciate, and deserve, that,

Yeah, I have been to Barnes& Noble almost dozens of times and not uncommonly there would be some British or

semi-obscure mag that had a Page article/interview. And, as Boleskinner said, it's not just the sensitive issues that

Page avoids, also somehow much of Zep's music, creative process, how and when he practices, blah, blah, there may 

be vague stock answers, or the classic reply to a question with another question. Of all the probably close to 50??

interviews of Page I have read, I can actually say  I can't remember even one where there were numerous amazing

disclosures, like "WOW", "I never knew that !!!" I have heard it said Jimmy communicates best with his guitar. So many

Page interviews sound labored.

Archived