John Paul Jones with half of R.E.M. in Northern Norway (Photo)

Janvier

I stumbled upon this content on the website of the county of Finnmark, a region located in the extreme northeastern part of Norway bordering Finland to the South, Russia to the East.

It shows John Paul Jones in the company of mostly R.E.M. personnel: guitarist Peter Buck, bassist Mike Mills and multi-instrumentalist Scott McCaughey (along with Steve Wynn, formerly of The Dream Syndicate and artist Michele Noach).

jonesrem.thumb.jpg.5c2855c43b8165d533a18

The entry on ffk.no, using google translation from Norwegian to English, reads:

It was during Monday's press conference (that) we got to meet the world-renowned musicians who have arrived (in) Vadsø. to play the  mini festival Ice Station.

Another report, posted on the website of the Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation (NRK) quotes John Paul Jones as saying that the group of musicians arrived on the invitation of Australian artist Michele Noach.

According to NRK:

"Jones will also look Vadsø landmark Airships Masta, where polar heroes Roald Amundsen and Umberto Nobile moored before his expeditions in the 20th century. The artists will also visit the memorial of witch burnings in Vardø and hopefully see both reindeer and northern lights - even though the weather forecast offers little hope for the latter" (google translation from Norwegian).

Here are some links to the content (in Norwegian) and source of the photo reprinted here on the forum:

Of all the news I expect to wake up to on a Tuesday morning, 'Jonesy in the Arctic Circle' wouldn't make the top 100, although by now I should better expect it given his eclectic tastes. I adore him... Arctic Circle, honestly, who'd have thought?! But still, it's so way out there it seems like a lark that makes you think pics or it didn't happen... oh hey! 

Embedded image permalink

(Instagram/ellemarjaeira) via @ledzepnews 

^ Thanks for posting, Janvier! This thread better get the love it deserves once the music videos surface!

Of all the news I expect to wake up to on a Tuesday morning, 'Jonesy in the Arctic Circle' wouldn't make the top 100, although by now I should better expect it given his eclectic tastes. I adore him... Arctic Circle, honestly, who'd have thought?! But still, its so way out there it seems like a lark that makes you think pics or it didn't happen... oh hey! 

I thought it was going to be a quiet week for news, then JPJ turns up in the Arctic Circle!

^Hi everyone,

Thanks Janvier for letting us know about this. Thozil, thanks for the link and Patrycja, I have searched and so far no videos. Thanks Sam for providing these great photos!

JPJ, never ceases to surprise. I do hope someone has a video to be found soon:peace:

Edit to add a few more great photos:

http://www.remhq.com/news/ice-station-vadso-update/

http://www.remhq.com/news/‎icestationvadso‬-update/

Thanks for checking, Deb :) You can almost hear "When the Levee Breaks" on that bass lap steel, can't you? Guess we'll just have to imagine it... hint hint...

I love this photo. Doesn't look like a Zep tune, though... hint hint. hint...

Embedded image permalink

(Instagram/torgrimhalvari) via @LedZepNews 

I was browsing the festival site and was impressed with all the creative ventures they've got going. I also love that they embrace and incorporate their situation, calling it "Ice Station" and holding it in November. The festival's Facebook page has some photos that have already made their way about, but perhaps some more updates will come this way. And besides, I like reading people's impressions. It's in Finnish, but the translator communicates the marrow well enough.

https://www.facebook.com/icestationvadso

Well would you look at that. Had I known I could get what want, I'd have asked for a ticket. Aahh well... BUT, there is another video of Levee and the recorder had the good sense to focus on Jonesy for his solo. The audio's a touch sharper, though I'm not fond of the singing in either. Nevertheless, sounds like a fun night. Hopefully more videos will surface:

Now I wish for a ticket and a time machine :D

John Paul Jones in the Arctic Circle in Norway? What's the big deal? Jones is in Norway so often playing with Supersilent, I'm surprised he doesn't have dual-citizenship.

I am kidding, of course. 

Always happy to see him playing somewhere...with a bass or mandolin or whatever is handy in his capable hands.

Thanks to Janvier, Sam, Patrycja, and Pagemeister for providing the treats.

Archived