Slate Chocolate Marble
Slate Chocolate Marble

Led Zeppelin Official Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

thozil

The Led Zeppelin Book List

16 posts in this topic

Thought I'd start a thread on all the books written on the boys. I'd like to keep this to bios/histories, etc. (i.e. no music books with guitar tabs, etc.).

Gross, M. (1975). Led Zeppelin's Golden Boy Robert Plant. New York, NY: Popular Library

This was put out by Circus magazine. I have a copy and as far as I can remember it's not a bad read. Has many photos, most of which are well known.

CircusPaperback.jpg

Edited by thozil

Hammer of the Gods, Stephen Davis (multiple different editions exist)

Hammer.jpg

Edited by thozil

I'll add a few: The original biography by Ritchie Yorke (1976), a collection of Howard Mylett's early books, and The Montreux Concerts with photos by Gilles Chateau (2001).

ritchie_yorke_biography_1976.jpg

mylett-books-1.jpg

on-stage-action.jpg

montreux_concerts_book.jpg

Trampled Underfoot: An Oral History of Led Zeppelin by Barney Hoskyns.  

I don't have pictures, but the books I've enjoyed are:

Get the Led Out by Denny Somach - has a nice Zeppelin timeline and lots of interesting interviews.

Led Zeppelin Revealed by Jason Draper - mostly good for it's pictures.

Led Zeppelin: Shadows Taller Than Our Souls by Charles Cross - lots of good pictures and memorabilia reproductions.

Led Zeppelin: Dazed and Confused by Chris Welch - an analysis of individual songs. Some interesting information.

Led Zeppelin: The Illustrated Biography by Gareth Thomas - mostly just good for it's pictures.

Led Zeppelin: When Giants Walked The Earth by Mick Wall - biography, probably more accurate than Hammer of the Gods.

LZ-'75 - by Stephen Davis - an in depth chronicle of the 1975 tour. Good read.

What You Want Is In The Limo by Michael Walker - how the 1973 tours of Led Zeppelin, Alice Cooper and The Who created the modern music business.

12 hours ago, Balthazor said:

Led Zeppelin: When Giants Walked The Earth by Mick Wall - biography, probably more accurate than Hammer of the Gods.

That book cost him his social and professional relationship with Jimmy.

Just now, SteveAJones said:

That book cost him his social and professional relationship with Jimmy.

Yeah I remember reading something about that, though I don't recall the details. It's been a while since I flipped through this one, but I seem to remember it being less absurd than Hammer of the Gods.

I just got my copy of Jimmy Page by Jimmy Page in the mail today. Ordered it from Amazon for $40. It's just jam packed full of awesome photos.