SEATTLE TRIBUTE TO JIMMY PAGE

truth and beauty

I wouldn't read too much into it. I think the fact Paul was there and performed with and without Jimmy speaks for itself. 

Yeah, I agree. Maybe they had a more friendly greeting earlier in the night.

I just got this notion that maybe Jimmy might invite Paul back for his new solo stuff.

Maybe they had a more friendly greeting earlier in the night.

I would imagine that would have been the case.  

...and why didn't Jimmy perform on Radioactive, it's pretty basic guitar stuff. There didn't seem much love there. 

Maybe JP didn't want to emphasize anyone there over anyone else.  By doing a LZ song he got to play and everyone got to honor him by joining in equally in a song that belonged to none of the rest.

I just got this notion that maybe Jimmy might invite Paul back for his new solo stuff.

I am one of those who would consider bringing Paul Rodgers back to sing would be throwing out the opportunity for Jimmy Page to express new music at the elevated level we expect to hear.  To me the Rodgers-Page combination has zero magic.  Rodgers is an excellent vocalist - I don't deny that - but he can't give himself up to JP's guitar.

I thought the same about the coolness between them, and why didn't Jimmy perform on Radioactive, it's pretty basic guitar stuff. There didn't seem much love there. 

If Page had joined anyone else during the night it would have made the finale anti-climatic. As far as coolness between them, again I wouldn't read too much into it. Perhaps Paul had to take a piss, or return to British Columbia, whatever.  

There's a huge difference between joining one of your peers on stage, who you had a creative partnership with and wrote songs together, and playing with some random young turks doing cover versions of Zep. As for being "anti-climatic", well, playing with fifty other guitarists on a barely audible guitar was no real finale, to be honest. 

There's a huge difference between joining one of your peers on stage, who you had a creative partnership with and wrote songs together, and playing with some random young turks doing cover versions of Zep. As for being "anti-climatic", well, playing with fifty other guitarists on a barely audible guitar was no real finale, to be honest. 

THANK YOU.  Yes, it is good to see JP on stage again, but at BEST, he was playing rhythm guitar.  Let's hope we see a bit more soon.

Yes, it is good to see JP on stage again, but at BEST, he was playing rhythm guitar.  Let's hope we see a bit more soon.

Seems to me Mr. Page is always just playing rhythm guitar when he jams unless it's with *his* musicians.  When he jams with others, he might take a little solo, then back to the background.  He even does that with people like Jeff Beck (remember Beck's Hall of Fame jam?)  About the only exception I can recall would be with Grohl and Hawkins at Wembley, but then it seemed to me Jimmy and John Paul Jones were playing to each other and Dave and Taylor just had to go with the program.  

So for me, it was great to see Mr. Page on the stage at the Seattle Tribute, but I didn't expect more of the performance than there was.  It was still him, though, and worth at least one listen.

I doubt very much those actually in attendance felt this way at all.  

I doubt very much those actually in attendance felt this way at all.  

The reporter from Rolling Stone was pretty underwhelmed, but I wouldn't like to make assumptions about how the crowd felt. I'm just saying, for me, it was like, meh. Rhythm guitar to rock and roll and you could barely hear it. It was almost like, what's the point.

Archived