Orchids

jimmie ray

Anyone have orchids? I got our first plant early this spring, and the flowers lasted until late summer.  Supposedly, the flowers will come back next year. I figured I could buy a second plant, and alternate putting them out in our bay window, if they reflower. The second plant's flowers fell off after a month, but then the remaining buds opened up. I think this is much better than cut flowers for display, and would make a nice, long lasting gift. Seems to be a new thing at the store.

Image result for phalaenopsis orchids colors

^ Even if they don't rebloom, I still think they're a good value. I'll just keep putting the older ones in the sunny basement window, and be patient about the results. There are so many color choices and patterns - it will be nice to mix it up, anyway.

I'm going to look up tips for getting them to rebloom. It might be a year before it is possible to happen. Maybe someone with good experience will post here? Any flower talk would be nice. I planted some roses outside this spring, and noticed they are still flowering in mid November! I've never had luck with roses, but was very excited to see them doing so well. 

I looked tips for getting orchids to rebloom. It said they prefer cooler temps, but still need decent light, when not flowering - so my strategy of putting my first plant in the basement window box seems to be good. They also like humidity, though. That's tough, in the winter. Some people put them by their kitchen sink, so the steam from doing dishes is beneficial. They shouldn't be fertilized while blooming, but need it regularly after the blooms fall off to "recharge".

• 1 year later...

Archived