New York 6-14-77 camera?

sam_webmaster

Curious hypothesis. It could be a film camera. Looks like the film reel casings are there. A little odd that it's on the man's left shoulder, not right, becuase most film camera viewfinders were on the left, forcing the camera to be held on the right shoulder. I'm pretty sure there's a geeky filmmaking forum out there which would have keener, more informed eyes.

I could watch and enjoy an entire Zeppelin concert filmed at that exact spot  wayyyyyy over what we have on TSRTS. That footage we have at Madison Square Garden 2/7/1975 from that exact spot (recently shared on here in the live section) is fantastic! Hopefully something from that camera reaches our hands someday!

To be between the security wall and stage certainly required vetted credentials I would guess.
If not in the Zeppelin camp, I'm with Steve on this. A MSG press pass to an operating camera rolling without prior consent, I would believe to be squashed.

Also, with JPJ on keyboards, how far was the band into their set?
SIBLY, NQ, I would guess. Five or six songs deep? 
There are no visible people to the right of the guy with the movie camera, and it looks like he's barely right to dead on center stage.
I'm guessing he had the legitimate docs to be where he was at that particular time.
If the dude was filming from the get go, to the still photo we see at top of the thread, that would be some badass footage to see to be sure.

• Administrators

It looks like a pro 16mm film camera. I thought it could be for another news report, like the one from 2/7/75. (We do have the complete raw footage from the archive of 2/7/75). Unfortunately, I've not yet found any 1977 reference in the industry archives. 

Thoughts? "Holy grail of Led Zeppelin" "1977 kicks major a**", were my first two thoughts. B)

And it is clearly Kashmir, but I guess you can never be sure.

TY Samwise, that brings this '77 fan a lot of hope for the future. Anything to better represent '77 that what is currently out there will no doubt change opinions about the tour in general.

It looks like a pro 16mm film camera. I thought it could be for another news report, like the one from 2/7/75. (We do have the complete raw footage from the archive of 2/7/75). Unfortunately, I've not yet found any 1977 reference in the industry archives. 

Well hell, Sam. This is like what you'd call a Zeppelin conspiracy theory. :lol: Way cool, Sam! :thumbsup:  Hey, I'm in. What's a conspiracy theory anyway, but a quest for truth? I wanna find out as much as you do now. This dude with the camera, stage left... Could he be any of the following in your opinion. (Courtesy of AA's site)

Source: Incomplete 8mm color 1st amateur footage with actual sound. Almost 22 minutes.
Details: The video is very dark. Distance scale ranges from full body filling half of screen height to full height. Most of copies have also footage from June 11th, 1977 incorporated in between The Battle Of Evermore and Whole Lotta Love because both are recorded by the same person and both dates were transferred in such way likely to match correct song order. Whole Lotta Love ad Rock And Roll are not available on any audio tape yet while here both are present with picture and sound. Snippets of this film were used in the "The Song Remains The Same" clip in a menu of the official DVD.

or

Recording: Incomplete 8mm silent color 2nd amateur footage. 7 minutes.
Details: It starts at the very front of the stage and distant but for Achilles Last Stand it's at the diagonal left hand side of the stage. Originally some songs out of proper sequence. Some copies are synched up with existing audio and with other New York June 1977 dates for those, which are not taped. Again, snippets of this film were used in the "The Song Remains The Same" clip in a menu of the official DVD.

Then again, those are 8mm. That's all I can contribute, that I know or read. Can we rule these sources out? If so, we've got some completely unknown sourced footage out there! B) Dude probably paid for his ticket in cash, so there's probably no way to identify dude by his location, I guess. Dag on! He was sure up there, wasn't he? Pretty darn close for a '77 show. Too darn close.

Rock on, Sam

Well hell, Sam. This is like what you'd call a Zeppelin conspiracy theory. :lol: Way cool, Sam! :thumbsup:  Hey, I'm in. What's a conspiracy theory anyway, but a quest for truth? I wanna find out as much as you do now. This dude with the camera, stage left... Could he be any of the following in your opinion. (Courtesy of AA's site)

Source: Incomplete 8mm color 1st amateur footage with actual sound. Almost 22 minutes.
Details: The video is very dark. Distance scale ranges from full body filling half of screen height to full height. Most of copies have also footage from June 11th, 1977 incorporated in between The Battle Of Evermore and Whole Lotta Love because both are recorded by the same person and both dates were transferred in such way likely to match correct song order. Whole Lotta Love ad Rock And Roll are not available on any audio tape yet while here both are present with picture and sound. Snippets of this film were used in the "The Song Remains The Same" clip in a menu of the official DVD.

or

Recording: Incomplete 8mm silent color 2nd amateur footage. 7 minutes.
Details: It starts at the very front of the stage and distant but for Achilles Last Stand it's at the diagonal left hand side of the stage. Originally some songs out of proper sequence. Some copies are synched up with existing audio and with other New York June 1977 dates for those, which are not taped. Again, snippets of this film were used in the "The Song Remains The Same" clip in a menu of the official DVD.

Then again, those are 8mm. That's all I can contribute, that I know or read. Can we rule these sources out? If so, we've got some completely unknown sourced footage out there! B) Dude probably paid for his ticket in cash, so there's probably no way to identify dude by his location, I guess. Dag on! He was sure up there, wasn't he? Pretty darn close for a '77 show. Too darn close.

Rock on, Sam

Hey Panther I looked at that footage too and thought that some of that footage may fit the distance this guy was at but again like you said that camera does seem to be 16mm. What an amazing mystery and not one Zeppelin story or source about this footage can be found. The possibility of it being for a news story like the 75 footage seems very possible but to get to film what looks to be Kashmir and not just the beginning of the set seems intriguing. Another thing is I looked at other pics from this show and dont see this guy in the same spot. Wish we could get atleast another clue...

I dunno, the two boxes in back go sideways, that doesn't seem right for a 16mm camera. But then it does seem too bulky for a still camera. Hmm. Would like to see any additional pictures the guy appears in. I want to believe, of course, but not really sure what the heck he's holding

I'm not sure which night is on Cosmic Energy's Assemblage, but during Kashmir (a small part that is synced), it appears the camera is near front row, close enough that Robert standing at his microphone is too close to fit entirely in the screen of the video. You can see Jones in the background (which makes it seem like the OP's photo could be another cameraman). I'd post a screenshot, but I'll leave that to someone with more knowledge on the subject. It appears that amateur footage was taken in the same spot. There is a lot of film from those '77 NYC gigs, maybe thats why the camera is so big? Idk. Just my two cents. I'm hoping its a 16mm though, and I hope it is professionally shot. Can't get enough '77.

Ps. it appears Kashmir is (one of) the only songs shot that close up, front row position.

Update on this, in addition to the long version of the amateur NYC '77 gig (not sure of date, almost an hour of dark footage), I watched the 6/14/77 footage again, and I'm almost 100% sure that you can see same cameraman filming during the end of Achilles. So, Kashmir to Achilles, which is a good hunk of film. Plus, if they are front row, filming during Kashmir, they no doubt filmed earlier in the gig. Seeing TSRTS-Sick Again from that angle, or a '77 Over the Hills and Far Away would be epic, my holy grail. :)

Any more info folks? If you have the '77 NYC footage, give it a watch. Close to end of that awesome film footage of Achilles Last Stand. Thx in advance

• 3 weeks later...

Update on this, in addition to the long version of the amateur NYC '77 gig (not sure of date, almost an hour of dark footage), I watched the 6/14/77 footage again, and I'm almost 100% sure that you can see same cameraman filming during the end of Achilles. So, Kashmir to Achilles, which is a good hunk of film. Plus, if they are front row, filming during Kashmir, they no doubt filmed earlier in the gig. Seeing TSRTS-Sick Again from that angle, or a '77 Over the Hills and Far Away would be epic, my holy grail. :)

Any more info folks? If you have the '77 NYC footage, give it a watch. Close to end of that awesome film footage of Achilles Last Stand. Thx in advance

That half hour of dark footage is from the 11th

Archived