D'yer Mak'er

Bozoso73

If they hated those particular songs so much why'd they release them in the first place? 

You gotta wonder, right?  Well, I suppose you gotta be in their shoes.  If your friend is digging this song and wants it on the album, at some point you're just be like "Alright."  Good example of this is Maxwell's Silver Hammer...everybody hated that song except Paul, yet it's still on Abbey Road.

When it comes to doing it live, though, you're not going to be like "Alright." you're gonna say "Hey, we already put the damn thing on the album, screw you man!"

You gotta wonder, right?  Well, I suppose you gotta be in their shoes.  If your friend is digging this song and wants it on the album, at some point you're just be like "Alright."  Good example of this is Maxwell's Silver Hammer...everybody hated that song except Paul, yet it's still on Abbey Road.

When it comes to doing it live, though, you're not going to be like "Alright." you're gonna say "Hey, we already put the damn thing on the album, screw you man!"

Probably, it's just weird that they put "D'yer Maker" on HOTH when they had other songs they could have put on in its place, like "The Rover" or even "Houses Of The Holy" itself. 

As for "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" it's been my theory that McCartney wanted that on the album deliberately, at the expense of other -better- songs unused at that point such as "Let It Be", "Two Of Us" or "The Long And Winding Road" (after all the Get Back/Let It Be project was still up in the air when The Beatles did Abbey Road)

I always end up editing the track lists, (for example Abbey Road I cut both Maxwell's and Her Majesty) and yeah, I replace Crunge, Dancing Days and Dyer with House of the Holy.  Tighter, better album.

Ya know, I heard The Crunge not that long ago. I never cared for it, but after not hearing it in a long time, I didn't mind it, to me it's better than D'yer Maker.

The Crunge worked a lot better as a transition from the beginning of Whole Lotta Love to the theremin duel between Page and Plant live imo, especially with the grooves that Jonesy and Bonzo were laying down underneath. Never cared a whole lot for the studio version but the live jams are pretty sweet, especially when Robert goes into say 'Lickin' Stick'.

I know, tom kid, you always have '77 on your mind!  :) 

Haha you're not wrong there mate, I'm sure Nutrocker can attest to that as well. Been my favourite tour for years now, it's about time something new from '77 saw the light of day!

The Crunge worked a lot better as a transition from the beginning of Whole Lotta Love to the theremin duel between Page and Plant live imo, especially with the grooves that Jonesy and Bonzo were laying down underneath. Never cared a whole lot for the studio version but the live jams are pretty sweet, especially when Robert goes into say 'Lickin' Stick'.

I would agree Tom, but I haven't heard this one in so long, always skipped past it, that it was a refreshing change. It's never going to be up there among the great songs, but even hearing the studio version once in a a while is ok.

Dancing Days > The Crunge >>>>> D'yer Mak'er.

D'yer Mak'er is my very least favorite Zeppelin song on Led Zeppelin I - In Through The Out Door. 

However, I REALLY like The Crunge & Dancing Days! I have always thought that those 2 songs belong together, but they're not even together on the album on vinyl. The Crunge was awesome with Whole Lotta Love on the '75 tour, but I like the album version as well. I used to dislike The Crunge & Dancing Days, but during the release of the 2014 remaster of HOTH both songs really caught my attention and I've really liked both songs ever since.

I think D'yer Mak'er, like Fool in The Rain, also LLM as mentioned, wouldn't fit anywhere on a set list.

I think standalone they aren't bad, and on radio after Heartbreaker often LLM would follow. But these

songs and a few others would cause serious momentum damage live. To my ears the reggae element

in Mak'er isn't pulled off right anyway. It certainly doesn't have any Marley or Cliff groove to me.

For a song that was pretty big for the band (US #20). .the band never played it in its entirety. .any reasons known out there??

I think some of the band members didn't like it. 

I'm fine with it never really being played. Not one of my favorites. 

Archived