Christmas Songs You Hate

apantherfrommd

I second that horrid Paul McCartney tune and add the 12 Days of Christmas plus as a bonus Feliz Navidad (fuck you Jose Feliciano).

BTW, what sort of psychotic girlfriend gives her man the shit this twisted gal does in the 12 Days of Christmas not to mention the logistical nightmare in general. Birds, trees, swans, lords o' leaping, etc. Who the hell has the cash to pay for all that upkeep and you know them damn lords will get annoying pretty quick?

There's 3 that stand out with me.

Carol of the Bells

Paul McCartney - Simply Having A Wonderful Christmas Time

?? - The Worst is this instrumental where it has a horse and they beat it to death and whip it into salami (Can't think of the name but it's sad)

I second that horrid Paul McCartney tune and add the 12 Days of Christmas plus as a bonus Feliz Navidad (fuck you Jose Feliciano).

BTW, what sort of psychotic girlfriend gives her man the shit this twisted gal does in the 12 Days of Christmas not to mention the logistical nightmare in general. Birds, trees, swans, lords o' leaping, etc. Who the hell has the cash to pay for all that upkeep and you know them damn lords will get annoying pretty quick?

It doesn't get much cornier than that Paul song. 

I enjoyed the X-rated Xmas!

I don't care for Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer or Do they Know it's Christmas? sappy crap. But there are many wonderful Christmas songs, most of them old: Hark! The Herald Angels Sing, Winter Wonderland, Silent Night...of course Hark! and Silent Night were written by classical composers....

Nothing in particular...but after the nyc tree lighting thing with james taylor, sting, pentatonics etc. My reaction was, is christmas over yet?

Oh yeah, that sucked big time. Can't wait until they drag out that over the hill tart Mariah Carey for New Years. Nothing like an alcoholic, middle aged, has been wearing lingerie and chasing around teen aged boys in Rockefeller Center. That nasty old tart makes the drunk, drugged up performances of Judy Garland look classy. 

BTW, my favorite Christmas album is, without a doubt, Afroman's Colt .45 Christmas...enjoy:

The ones I can think of right now:

"Little Drummer Boy" used to bore me. Now, I actually find it annoying. 

The "Grandma got run over by a reindeer" song.

The stupid "chestnuts roasting on an open fire" song. 

And ANYTHING performed by The F**KING Chipmunks! It's not cute, It's not funny. It sucks, and I want it to die. LOL!

The ones I can think of right now:

"Little Drummer Boy" used to bore me. Now, I actually find it annoying. 

The "Grandma got run over by a reindeer" song.

The stupid "chestnuts roasting on an open fire" song. 

And ANYTHING performed by The F**KING Chipmunks! It's not cute, It's not funny. It sucks, and I want it to die. LOL!

prr rumpa tum tum [little boy gets backhanded]

grandma got run over by a 747 works better imo.

backhand nipping at your nose

and, wow. famous because you sped up a godawful song.

agree. bah humbug. :lol:

Count me as another who hates the Macca one..it's treacly to the extreme. "All I Want for Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth", "Little Drummer Boy", "Grandma Got Ran Over by a Reindeer" also make my list of Christmas songs I avoid...as well as just about every heavy metal/rap/hip-hop updated abomination.

Oh, and KILL THE CHIPMUNKS! Utter ear torture.

All of them. Can't stand them - ANY of them. What is even worse is that every shop you go in they either have dreadful songs from the past ( we all know who) or Carols. I mean why are these playing when it is the 5th of December? 

My soulmate!!!!

I feel exactly the same. 

AND I work in retail, so I have to listen to them from DEC1 till 25. over and over and over and....

:ahhh:

All of them. Can't stand them - ANY of them. What is even worse is that every shop you go in they either have dreadful songs from the past ( we all know who) or Carols. I mean why are these playing when it is the 5th of December? 

Sorry but I disagree. Even though I am agnostic, there are still some Christmas songs that I find have musical and/or emotional value. 

Do you really find nothing to like in any of Bach's Christmas music? Technically, Bach's music was composed in service to God/Jesus, so you might say all of Bach's music is Christmas music.

What about Vince Guaraldi's lovely jazz score for the "Charlie Brown Christmas Special"? Mel Tormé's "A Christmas Song"? (Take your pick of three exquisite renditions: Mel Tormé, Nat King Cole, or Ella Fitzgerald) Chuck Berry's (or Keith Richards) "Run Rudolph"? Pharoah Sanders "We Three Kings"?

I could go on and on...but my point is that there is more to Christmas music than the pablum that is played in retail stores and pop radio.

The one by The Eagles, I think it's called "Come Home for Christmas"

Yes, that one is pretty good. Also, as Strider said, I agree. Most of the pre-1950's Christmas songs are pretty good, except for Drummer Boy which is horrible, even when sung by the great Bing Crosby. Not a huge fan of Baroque but I do like most Bach, in small doses that is, anything more and the damn scales begin to annoy me.

I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus, especially the Jackson Five version of this song.  

This Christmas by Donny Hathaway

Merry Christmas, Darling by the Carpenters

The last is actually a nice song, beautifully sung by Karen Carpenter, but 8 weeks as a seasonal employee at Macy's ruined it for me.  All three songs were played at least once an hour over the mall's PA system every damn day.  They also played The Christmas Song (aka Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire) to death but I still like it; go figure.  

Sorry but I disagree. Even though I am agnostic, there are still some Christmas songs that I find have musical and/or emotional value. 

Do you really find nothing to like in any of Bach's Christmas music? Technically, Bach's music was composed in service to God/Jesus, so you might say all of Bach's music is Christmas music.

What about Vince Guaraldi's lovely jazz score for the "Charlie Brown Christmas Special"? Mel Tormé's "A Christmas Song"? (Take your pick of three exquisite renditions: Mel Tormé, Nat King Cole, or Ella Fitzgerald) Chuck Berry's (or Keith Richards) "Run Rudolph"? Pharoah Sanders "We Three Kings"?

I could go on and on...but my point is that there is more to Christmas music than the pablum that is played in retail stores and pop radio.

my dislike of Christmas songs had nothing to do with my lack of relreligion.  I just find them really annoying and daggy! Especially the ones about bloody Rudolph or Santa. Fair enough for little kids, but not me. I haven't heard enough classical instrumentals to comment on on, really, but I don't think the OP meant those (?).

I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus, especially the Jackson Five version of this song.  

This Christmas by Donny Hathaway

Merry Christmas, Darling by the Carpenters

The last is actually a nice song, beautifully sung by Karen Carpenter, but 8 weeks as a seasonal employee at Macy's ruined it for me.  All three songs were played at least once an hour over the mall's PA system every damn day.  They also played The Christmas Song (aka Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire) to death but I still like it; go figure.  

I hear you, Disco! I am a retail worker going through the same thing!

:ahhh:

Archived