2016 MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL THREAD

SuperDave

O's win!!!!!  They are certainly better at home They must get better away.  But one thing is for sure.  We do not have the flu and we have a new starter in Bundy.  And Gausman shut down Cleveland tonight.  7 innings and no runs.  I now hear we are pursuing Cashner.  He is the one I want.  hIm or Hill.  Not as hot on Hellisckson who is also on the rumor block.  I see the Cards had won 5 in a row until Big Blue got a hold of them.  That Dodger bullpen can be menacing. Trumbo has 30 HRS.  Steal of the decade maybe?  Trumbo for Clevenger, our 3rd string catcher.  LOL

Some Rumors.   Sale of course is likely to be traded as he has been suspended 5 games for refusing to wear a throw back uniform.  Do you want a guy like that on your team?

The Yankees are reportedly close to dealing Chapman the reliever with a blazing fastball.  Likely to the Cubs for Shwarber who is on the shelf til next year.

The Orioles are after either Cashner from SD or Hellickson from the Phillies, Hill has been mentioned but Oakland likely wants too much.  Also, Upton is in talks to go to the Orioles also.  He would give us that speedy, good hitting left fielder and make us rock solid at all 8 positions.

Many other deals are likely and there is rumor the Yankees may unload A Rod and Texeira

Baltimore Orioles have the best record in the American League!

13 hours ago, redrum said:

Looks like SF is trying to give the division to L.A.   <_<

I think they will win tonight.   But the Dodgers are hot on their heels.  I am slightly more worried about Toronto than Boston but I still believe the Orioles will prevail.  Their offer to SD for Upton was  better than Toronto's.  So what the fuck is that about?  Any guess's?  I mean, the little shit could have been in left field.  I now think Kim might be the better guy because he is back tonight.  I did not know he was ready to go.  We are fine and dandy.  And so is our staff.  Bundy and Worley have shocked the baseball world so far.  So with Gausman and Tillman who goes for win 15 tonight, we have a lights out pen to boot.  Get us to the 5th inning and you are dead.  I hope Chris Tillman is on like he has been his last two.  We are now 18 games above 500.    Love it!

3 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I think they will win tonight.   But the Dodgers are hot on their heels.  I am slightly more worried about Toronto than Boston but I still believe the Orioles will prevail.  Their offer to SD for Upton was  better than Toronto's.  So what the fuck is that about?  Any guess's?  I mean, the little shit could have been in left field.  I now think Kim might be the better guy because he is back tonight.  I did not know he was ready to go.  We are fine and dandy.  And so is our staff.  Bundy and Worley have shocked the baseball world so far.  So with Gausman and Tillman who goes for win 15 tonight, we have a lights out pen to boot.  Get us to the 5th inning and you are dead.  I hope Chris Tillman is on like he has been his last two.  We are now 18 games above 500.    Love it!

I know that the Orioles have a better record then the Cardinals at this point in the 2016 season, but I do wish that your team and my team would have had the chance to play each other this year.  Obviously, the only way for that to happen would be in the World Series.  Just because the Orioles have the best record thus far in the American League does not mean that they are guaranteed to make it to the World Series (you should know that).  On the flip side, just because the Cardinals are just a few game above .500 does not mean that they are out of contention to make it to the 2016 Post-Season.  (Again, you should know to never count out the Saint Louis Cardinals when it comes to baseball in September). 

Good Luck to your Baltimore Orioles (and my Saint Louis Cardinals). 

17 hours ago, kingzoso said:

I know that the Orioles have a better record then the Cardinals at this point in the 2016 season, but I do wish that your team and my team would have had the chance to play each other this year.  Obviously, the only way for that to happen would be in the World Series.  Just because the Orioles have the best record thus far in the American League does not mean that they are guaranteed to make it to the World Series (you should know that).  On the flip side, just because the Cardinals are just a few game above .500 does not mean that they are out of contention to make it to the 2016 Post-Season.  (Again, you should know to never count out the Saint Louis Cardinals when it comes to baseball in September). 

Good Luck to your Baltimore Orioles (and my Saint Louis Cardinals). 

I am well aware of this King.  Well aware.  I am hoping our GM gets his arse a moving and gets us some damn insurance like Rich Hill, or Cashner or Hellickson and to go with it Bruce from Cincy.  If we could land Bruce, turn out the lights.  Bundy pitches tonight and if he continues to pitch well and wins, him and Worley could be big surprise starters for us.  We have the power to go deep into this thing.  Manny Machado is the real deal.  Even you have to admit that  this kid is special.  Jonathan Schoop is a very great player  both on offense and defense.  Our defense in the infield is spectacular.  I know the Cardinals are in the race, but its for the Wild Card more realistically.  The Cubs are no joke.  I am sure you know this by now.  I tell you watch out for the Dodgers too.  They have one hell of a bullpen and are clicking on all cylinders.   The SF Giants are hanging by a thread.  

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-power-rankings-orioles-new-no-1-as-al-east-race-becomes-most-fun-in-baseball/

Nice comeback win for the Saint Louis Cardinals against (something) Familia of the Mets.  The Cardinals ended his save streak of about 50 games since the middle of last season (not including the Mets post season last year).  The announcers were saying all this while the game was being played, and they said that this Familia dude blew 3 games when he came in to relieve in the 9th inning of the playoffs or even the 2015 World Series. 

Paul would know his name better then I do and have a better understanding and better factual information, that is if he cares to provide it. 

20 hours ago, redrum said:

How SF can lose to the lousy Reds is beyond me.

The Reds have been tough lately and have been scoring.  We lost at Minnesota but Buck was smart to rest his better relief pitchers for a much bigger two games in Toronto starting tonight.  We have to be better on the road.  I am waiting with no patience to see what this GM does for us?  I am hoping for Cashner or Helliskson if not Hill who I now feel is not within reach.  Unless they shock us.  We also would be crazy not to pursue Bruce.  If Cincy lets him go to a team that team is going to be getting big time help.  I just would not move him if I were the Reds.  

Well so much for us getting Cashner, the Marlins just grabbed him.  So now there is Helliskson and one Rich Hill that appears to be staying in Oakland?  i hope we can land one of these guys?  We have to do something or Buck will be forced to work his bullpen after the 5th inning on a consistent basis unless its Tillman or Gausman.  I am expecting Gausman to go into Toronto and light them up!

8 hours ago, redrum said:

Way to go, SF. How does it feel with L.A. breathing down your necks? <_<

Kinda the same way it feels in Baltimore, I'd guess...  

Looking at the standings, some of these division races are heating up. The Giants better kick it in the ass--who would have thunk with Kershaw on the DL, that the Dodgers could still catch them.

Blue Jays in front of the O's now, but it's only 1/2 a game, so nothing to sweat about yet. Don't know if the Astros can really catch Texas, but 4 games is hardly an insurmountable odd.

Still wondering what noise--if any--the Mets will make before the deadline....

2 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

Looking at the standings, some of these division races are heating up. The Giants better kick it in the ass--who would have thunk with Kershaw on the DL, that the Dodgers could still catch them.

Blue Jays in front of the O's now, but it's only 1/2 a game, so nothing to sweat about yet. Don't know if the Astros can really catch Texas, but 4 games is hardly an insurmountable odd.

I am hoping Tillman puts us back on top before we leave that fucking hell hole.  Jus got a text the O's are looking at Seattle pitcher that is 7-8.  Wiley.  Has been good lately like Hellisckson.  I hope they do something

8 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

Amen to SF.

24 minutes ago, ebk said:

Except he's now on a team in first place.  That can't suck too bad.

I am happy as a pig in crap right now.  Great to see Adam slam that ball out into the midst of those 46000 scumbags.  I am not happy with Wieter's effort at the plate and I am totally disgusted that Davis is getting 170 Mill to fuck us nightly.  He had best wake up before I show up in Frisco 30 seats behind the O's dugout.  I am not going to yell at Davis.  No.  Terry Crowley, yes.  And Terry will remember some of the names I have in my hat.  Fro Rochester in the good ole days with Bobby Grich and Baylor and company.  Well, we are back in first where we belong and I am waiting for Duquette to hit the fucking send button on a trade.  I am all in for Wiley now.  Go get him!!!!!!

Last  night I went to CitiField and be part of the retirement of Mike Piazza's #31.  Only the second player in Mets' history to have their number retired.  The first being Tom Seaver's ("The Franchise") #41.  That was 1988 and the Mets should do more of this as there are probably a few other Mets who may deserve this honor. 

The Wilpons at times do not know how to run a team as spending very cheaply and not build a competitive team and especially in a market like NYC as the Yanks do, but one thing I will give them credit for is ceremonies like this as they do such a great job with!  I've been to a few of these and not only enjoyed them, but found them to be quite emotional!  Yesterday was no exception and the overall ceremony was great.  Mike Piazza's acceptance speach at Cooperstown last weekend was amazing and so emotional in a lot of ways.  Talking about his family and how his father Vince got him to be selected by the Dodgers in 1988 in the 62nd round after Vince, who knew Tommy Lasorda had him take a look at Mike in action.  Making it to the major league level from the 62nd round is mind blowing and even more being rookie of the year in 1993.

Piazza means a lot to me being a big Mets fan and to me is just a great guy and in his two speeches at the Hall and last night at CitiField puts these honors with the Mets fans and without them he feels he would be there.  Mike is a very honest and appreciative man.  He is also a big music fan and especially into metal. I know he is good friends with Eddie Trunck, whom I know many of you are familiar with.  He's quite the the musical historian in a lot of ways.  I have conversed with him twice at the Celebration Day premier in NYC in 2012 and JP's talk also in NYC at 92Y in November, 2014.

I know this is long but means a lot to me.  I also went to the first Mets game after 9/11 on September 21st, when Mike Piazza hit the two run hr against the Braves to bring back NYC after the terror attacks.  It was an amazing night from all the pre game ceremonies with the NYC fireman, police and emergency personnel involved in an emotion pregame ceremony.  Lot of celebs with Mark Anthony singing the national anthem as well as Diana Ross with God Bless America and Liza Minelli's New York New York.  It was a great  night and took a lot of the negativity from my frame of mind as I'm not far from the city.

It was an incredible night and one I will never forget!  Piazza's hr is one of the most iconic moments in New York City sports history.  It finished number 2 in Mets all time moments just behind game 6 in 1986 and the Mookie Wilson/Bill Buckner moment!  Tough company and this brought NYC back and was broadcast throughout the world as I saw the HR on the BBC, Skynews etc later that night, when I returned home.  I stayed up late and couldn't sleep after this game!

Archived