2016 MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL THREAD

SuperDave

Why do teams like Cincy do business with their enemies?  Why the hell would they help the Mets out?  I am sick of stupid ass GM's.  I tip my hat to Duquette for whom has put my Oriole right smack in the race to win it all.  Yes.  ALL.   Miley is just what we needed.  And he is a leftie.  Just what we wanted.  We have solid long relief guys in Worley and Givens and the best two set up men in the game in O'Day and Brach and the best closer in Britton.  A lineup full of power.  Bring on the bitch ass Red Sox and Jays and Rangers.  Oh, I guess KC is no worry this year. 

The Cubs are a very good team.  They are the favorites for sure i the NL.  To me the team to watch out for are the Dodgers because of their pen.  I welcome Puig if he winds up in Baltimore by some chance?  I am kind of hoping.

OMG, the Dodgers just landed Rich Hill

Imagine Lucroy and Texas going into Cleveland in playoffs and the reception he will get?  I am not sold on Texas.  At my Orioles tomorrow.  We can beat them.  I am hoping we beat them and take the top spot again in the AL.  We can really benefit being at home.  I am just shaking my head over this Miller talk.  Sooooo overated.  We had 3 hits in one inning on him.  He has that sweeping bullshit curve that is off the plate more often than not.  Just wait, and the hit the ball into the cheap seats

28 minutes ago, zepscoda said:

Going to be a good series...Darvish on the mound for game 1. 

I know, vs Dylan Bundy.  Steve Pearce is coming back to Baltimore.  I love this.  So he will be plugged into the LF vs lefties and Kim vs Righties no doubt.  Unless Buck wants to rest Davis and DH him and put Steve at first.  Davis needs to take his head out of his ass.  Maybe Buck will sit him for a game and let him think?  Put Steve in.  Darvish?  Will this be like his third start since his return?    You guys are walking into a snake pit tomorrow.

At 14.5 games behind as August begins, the Angels' season has long been over. But now our GM is just throwing more dirt on the grave by giving away our few decent pitchers for overpaid joirneymen and unproven names to be named later. Santiago to the Twins for useless Nolasco? Joe Smith to the Cubs? The Angels might as well wave a white flag above their stadium.

6 minutes ago, Strider said:

At 14.5 games behind as August begins, the Angels' season has long been over. But now our GM is just throwing more dirt on the grave by giving away our few decent pitchers for overpaid joirneymen and unproven names to be named later. Santiago to the Twins for useless Nolasco? Joe Smith to the Cubs? The Angels might as well wave a white flag above their stadium.

LOL:lol:

18 hours ago, SuperDave said:

Last  night I went to CitiField and be part of the retirement of Mike Piazza's #31.  Only the second player in Mets' history to have their number retired.  The first being Tom Seaver's ("The Franchise") #41.  That was 1988 and the Mets should do more of this as there are probably a few other Mets who may deserve this honor. 

The Wilpons at times do not know how to run a team as spending very cheaply and not build a competitive team and especially in a market like NYC as the Yanks do, but one thing I will give them credit for is ceremonies like this as they do such a great job with!  I've been to a few of these and not only enjoyed them, but found them to be quite emotional!  Yesterday was no exception and the overall ceremony was great.  Mike Piazza's acceptance speach at Cooperstown last weekend was amazing and so emotional in a lot of ways.  Talking about his family and how his father Vince got him to be selected by the Dodgers in 1988 in the 62nd round after Vince, who knew Tommy Lasorda had him take a look at Mike in action.  Making it to the major league level from the 62nd round is mind blowing and even more being rookie of the year in 1993.

Piazza means a lot to me being a big Mets fan and to me is just a great guy and in his two speeches at the Hall and last night at CitiField puts these honors with the Mets fans and without them he feels he would be there.  Mike is a very honest and appreciative man.  He is also a big music fan and especially into metal. I know he is good friends with Eddie Trunck, whom I know many of you are familiar with.  He's quite the the musical historian in a lot of ways.  I have conversed with him twice at the Celebration Day premier in NYC in 2012 and JP's talk also in NYC at 92Y in November, 2014.

I know this is long but means a lot to me.  I also went to the first Mets game after 9/11 on September 21st, when Mike Piazza hit the two run hr against the Braves to bring back NYC after the terror attacks.  It was an amazing night from all the pre game ceremonies with the NYC fireman, police and emergency personnel involved in an emotion pregame ceremony.  Lot of celebs with Mark Anthony singing the national anthem as well as Diana Ross with God Bless America and Liza Minelli's New York New York.  It was a great  night and took a lot of the negativity from my frame of mind as I'm not far from the city.

It was an incredible night and one I will never forget!  Piazza's hr is one of the most iconic moments in New York City sports history.  It finished number 2 in Mets all time moments just behind game 6 in 1986 and the Mookie Wilson/Bill Buckner moment!  Tough company and this brought NYC back and was broadcast throughout the world as I saw the HR on the BBC, Skynews etc later that night, when I returned home.  I stayed up late and couldn't sleep after this game!

Great post Super Dave! Just a fabulous read and I share your feelings completely. Always liked Piazza and the way he fought his way onto the team from the 62nd round. 

Rick is always asking me why I am not a Dodger fan and I can tell you that Fox trading Piazza to the Mets is a big reason why. I grew up an Angels fan as I grew up in Orange County, not Los Angeles.

But after settling into L.A. in the mid-80s, I definitely went to Dodger games because they were convenient and cheap. Even saw a few of the 1988 WS season games in person. So after a decade or so living in L.A. I was definitely thinking of switching completely from the Angels and over to the Dodgers.

Until the unthinkable happened...Peter O'Malley, tired of the city bureaucrats and politicians fucking him over the NFL thing, sold the Dodgers to Fox TV and Fox traded Piazza away.

That ended any thought of me being a Dodger fan.

Well said as always Strider and glad you enjoyed it!  I also saw Piazza hit a grand slam off of Clemons,  This was in 2001 as well the first time he faced the Mets after the World Series, when Sean Estes for Mets didn't hit Clemons but through around is back.  Sort of ridiculous, but he wasn't a part of that as he just came to the Mets and shows he didn't want a part of it.  He wasn't on the Mets much longer after that.  Obviously, didn't do what he was asked to do and most likely from Bobby V.

O'Malley is a joke.    He's worse than the Wilpons for the Mets.  They irk me sometimes in mot wanting to spend the money in a big market area like NY.  Just crazy and baffles me with their thinking at times.  At least Alderson has done a good job and with his colleagues built up a great farm system although not as good as a few years ago.  They blame a lot of this budget constraints on the Bernie Madoff ponzi scheme, in which they got screwed big time.  That was their own fault, but don't take it away from your fans.  I'd definitely welcome new ownership to Queens.  I know Spielberg got screwed as well in this with Madoff as well. 

Glad we landed Jay Bruce today as a great move and major pawn in trade was Dilson Herreira and am more comfortable with that than originally it was reported that Brandon Nimmo was the one.  I won't even pay attention to Rick's nonsense about trading with the enemy.  Reds are in the Central division and Mets in East so not like trading with the Nats! 

Mets need a lot of help but mostly due to lack of hitting and so many players in IF/OF on DL as well as Harvey.  Before all these injuries with Duda first going down, they were doing well and things escalated.  Perhaps, some will return soon and can make a run for playoffs.  As long as you get in, that's the key and goes on from there.  Lot of things to address but depends on these players injured returning and so on.  Just my take on things.  I'm sure Paul will chime in soon about this.

4 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I know, vs Dylan Bundy.  Steve Pearce is coming back to Baltimore.  I love this.  So he will be plugged into the LF vs lefties and Kim vs Righties no doubt.  Unless Buck wants to rest Davis and DH him and put Steve at first.  Davis needs to take his head out of his ass.  Maybe Buck will sit him for a game and let him think?  Put Steve in.  Darvish?  Will this be like his third start since his return?    You guys are walking into a snake pit tomorrow.

Here's his stats ( for the last 3 games since his return are isolated )

He hasn't gone past 7 innings after the return. ..and he throws strikes, so it could be a slug fest.

2016-08-01-20-46-47.png

15 hours ago, zepscoda said:

Here's his stats ( for the last 3 games since his return are isolated )

He hasn't gone past 7 innings after the return. ..and he throws strikes, so it could be a slug fest.

2016-08-01-20-46-47.png

Camden Yards vs the best home team in baseball.  See tonight.  I wonder if Lucroy is going to be there?  You would think he would need a day to get from SD to Milwaukee and take care of his business before he joins his new team in Baltimore?  Do you know?

We are up 1 game on Boston and Toronto.  No room for error.  We need to take advantage of our home advantage and beat Texas and try to move past them and the Injuns once again.  I hear Texas's one weakness is their bullpen?  Not really that familiar with them.  Do not see them much   Darvish has some good numbers above but he does give up hits.  And tonight he pitches in an enemy environment.  Not a rival team.  You have Houston by I think 5 or 6?  Houston has been hot.  The Tigers are on fire.  So the East has to be aware of the Tigers and Astros breathing down their necks.  Texas and Cleveland get  ton of love now on MLB>  Not much for my Orioles but that is fine with me. We will prove ourselves on the field as we have all year

5 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Camden Yards vs the best home team in baseball.  See tonight.  I wonder if Lucroy is going to be there?  You would think he would need a day to get from SD to Milwaukee and take care of his business before he joins his new team in Baltimore?  Do you know?

We are up 1 game on Boston and Toronto.  No room for error.  We need to take advantage of our home advantage and beat Texas and try to move past them and the Injuns once again.  I hear Texas's one weakness is their bullpen?  Not really that familiar with them.  Do not see them much   Darvish has some good numbers above but he does give up hits.  And tonight he pitches in an enemy environment.  Not a rival team.  You have Houston by I think 5 or 6?  Houston has been hot.  The Tigers are on fire.  So the East has to be aware of the Tigers and Astros breathing down their necks.  Texas and Cleveland get  ton of love now on MLB>  Not much for my Orioles but that is fine with me. We will prove ourselves on the field as we have all year

Yes, Lucroy is in.... it'll be interesting to see he and Darvish do together...

18 hours ago, zepscoda said:

Yes, Lucroy is in.... it'll be interesting to see he and Darvish do together...

Well Darren O'Day is one of if not the best relief man in baseball.  You found that out last night.  Bundy pitched a gem.  Orioles gain one on Boston but Toronto held serve.  I say Houston will be  desperate and beat them tonight.  We will have a fight on our hands with Texas but its in Baltimore and we are one very tough team to beat at home.   Gausman must improve and go back to his form of two games ago if he wants to remain in this rotation.  We have options now.  Miley may go on Wed?  I might rest him one more day until we go to Chicago.  I will be in Vegas and will be i LA when they are in Oakland.  When they get to Frisco I will see them there.  Cant wait.   We need to try and jump over Cleveland and Texas once more.  Detroit is on fire.  I would not want to play them or Colorado right now.  Yes Colorado.  They are on their usual late season push.  Its too bad they lost Story.  That is huge.  It may cost them a shot at the wild card.  

5 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Well Darren O'Day is one of if not the best relief man in baseball.  You found that out last night.  Bundy pitched a gem.  Orioles gain one on Boston but Toronto held serve.  I say Houston will be  desperate and beat them tonight.  We will have a fight on our hands with Texas but its in Baltimore and we are one very tough team to beat at home.   Gausman must improve and go back to his form of two games ago if he wants to remain in this rotation.  We have options now.  Miley may go on Wed?  I might rest him one more day until we go to Chicago.  I will be in Vegas and will be i LA when they are in Oakland.  When they get to Frisco I will see them there.  Cant wait.   We need to try and jump over Cleveland and Texas once more.  Detroit is on fire.  I would not want to play them or Colorado right now.  Yes Colorado.  They are on their usual late season push.  Its too bad they lost Story.  That is huge.  It may cost them a shot at the wild card.  

Oh yeah, O'Day was once a Ranger, not too long ago...I thought Desmond was going to go yard with the bases full...but no such luck. Darvish again get little run support.

Should be a good one tonight!

Manny Machado is the best player in the game.  And he is damn young.  Go Orioles!!!!!  See you one week from today in San Fran!   

SF may end up as the wild card with the way they keep losing.

18 hours ago, redrum said:

SF may end up as the wild card with the way they keep losing.

Dodgers are on fire too.  Don't forget to give the Dodgers some credit.  My boys are doing fine.  Go O's!   They are now 7 hours or so up the coast.  I am leaving for LA in the morning.  AS much as I would like to see them in Oakland I will wait for SF

Dodgers are on fire too.  Don't forget to give the Dodgers some credit.  My boys are doing fine.  Go O's!   They are now 7 hours or so up the coast.  I am leaving for LA in the morning.  AS much as I would like to see them in Oakland I will wait for SF

Hazards of the game:

Archived