2016 MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL THREAD

SuperDave

Congratulations to the Texas Rangers for being the first American League Team to clinch a 2016 Playoff berth.  The Rangers are my home team so I will support them and acknowledge them as a person that lives in their/my city (Dallas, Texas... Baby!!!).  I am not so one dimensional as to support and cheer on one team and one team only.  With that being typed, I still have much faith in the Saint Louis Cardinals to be the team to beat. 

This moment will stay with Me for the rest of My life (and it is a great moment for Me and not so much for others):

5 hours ago, kingzoso said:

Congratulations to the Texas Rangers for being the first American League Team to clinch a 2016 Playoff berth.  The Rangers are my home team so I will support them and acknowledge them as a person that lives in their/my city (Dallas, Texas... Baby!!!).  I am not so one dimensional as to support and cheer on one team and one team only.  With that being typed, I still have much faith in the Saint Louis Cardinals to be the team to beat. 

This moment will stay with Me for the rest of My life (and it is a great moment for Me and not so much for others):

Looks like our teams are in the exact same position.  We were in first most of the year, that is the difference.  But right now it means nothing.  So we both have to overcome a small deficit.  You have to beat out either SF or the Mets.  SF is playing very bad.  So if St Louis did not have the misfortune of playing the big bad Cubs they may have already caught them.  We have to hope the Indians can continue to beat up the Tigers but I doubt that is going to happen if they clinch?  We have to go to Toronto and NY so we need to beat the D Backs and today we have Miley up  I do not like that one bit.  We have to find our bats fast.  I do not know what is wrong with Machado.  To me he is the main problem but so too are Davis and Schoop and Jones.  Davis needs to go look in the mirror and ask himself how he feels with his $170 million dollar contract from hell?

2 hours ago, zepscoda said:

How The West Was Won .....Let's go Rangers !!!!

PS: Chris, Im sure you'll understand why I won't watch that flash back from '11...lol

2016-09-24-08-57-46-1.png

Must be nice to be in that DICK division?  I would not know having to play the Red Sox, Yankees and Toronto and a very tough Tampa team every year 16 times.  I would like to know how Oakland did what they did to KC?  I mean not only did they sweep them, and in KC, but did anyone see those scores?  I saw 16-0 one game?  An ass whipping on the defending chumps of monumental proportions.  It screams out that they have quit playing.  What a joke.  And I have to hope they show up vs the Tigers.  Not happening.  I can only wait and hope Cleveland can continue their mastery of the Tigers and we can just win our own games.  If we were in any other division we would be sitting pretty with at least the top WC.  We have a huge series in Toronto and that is assuming we can wake up and score.  We need to beat Arizona and we are sending Miley who has sucked.  We should be able to out score them but for reasons unknown we have gone South with our bats over night.  Maybe Trumbo's blast will wake them all up?  Get us in and we could be dangerous as hell

Man this news on Fernandez is terrible.  If you have not heard, Miami star pitcher Jose Fernandez died at approx 3 am as a passenger on a 32 foot boat entering a harbor at Miami Beach pier.  The boat hit the rocks at high speed and none were wearing vests.  Terrible for baseball and Miami and all!

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/17632541/miami-marlins-ace-jose-fernandez-dies-boating-accident

3 minutes ago, paul carruthers said:

So sorry to hear the news about Fernandez. Dead at such a young age, a terrible tragedy...

Yes indeed.  It sucks.  I say he was the best pitcher in baseball hands down.  Kershaw second.  Maybe one of your Mets on the list but all injured.  Os just hit a 2 run shot and Tigers down 4-0 to KC.  WE could go up on Tigers by more.  

Not since Roberto Clemente do I remember a tragedy of this magnitude in baseball

1 hour ago, paul carruthers said:

^^ I just looked at the scores--the Yanks have gotten a run, so they won't get the doughnut for 4 straight...

The Mets are taking care of their business too...

:yes2:

Who pitched for the Phillies?  Unreal.  Two TDs and a FG for Mets  Fucking Yankees cant help us again

So horrible on Jose Fernandez!  Just considering how good of a pitcher he is, one of the really good guys in the game and his story on getting here from Cuba.  He failed twice to get here from Cuba and was jailed at 15 years old for it.  He was successful on his third attempt and came through Mexico to get to the USA.  He was reunited with his father in Tampa and with his mother later, which is quite an emotional story.  He won NL Rookie of the Year in 2013 and been selected to the All Star Game twice, most recently this year.  Just an incredible loss for baseball.  I can't even imagine what his family must be going through.  Even sadder is he has his first child on the way!

Listening to Vin Skully's last game.  67 yrs.  He just said that Jose Fernandez tweeted a year ago "If you could read the story of your life, would you read the end of the book?"  Thus the then 23 yr old had some deep thoughts going on.  It turns out he was to pitch today and instead they told him to go fishing today and pitch Monday.   If only.

STILL, watching Dodgers and Skully.  

6 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Arizona infield is brutal.  Enjoy the game EBK. I am watching and flipping to the Bills who are winning

Game was fabulous.  Weather was perfect.  Dinner was spectacular.

10 minutes ago, ebk said:

Game was fabulous.  Weather was perfect.  Dinner was spectacular.

Did you go back to that restaurant near the stadium?  I hit a couple nice ones in California.  Anyway, we got some help today as the Tigers went down.  They now must play Cleveland who has owned them all year.  The good news there is Cleveland still has motivation to play, as they are fighting for the best record. If we an manage to win straight out 5 of 6 we are in no matter what happens elsewhere.  The Yankees must face Happ tomorrow so we will miss Toronto's best pitchers also.  They can be beaten up there.  I still hate a one off but like our chances.  I would send Gausman if we make it.

1 hour ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Did you go back to that restaurant near the stadium?  I hit a couple nice ones in California.  Anyway, we got some help today as the Tigers went down.  They now must play Cleveland who has owned them all year.  The good news there is Cleveland still has motivation to play, as they are fighting for the best record. If we an manage to win straight out 5 of 6 we are in no matter what happens elsewhere.  The Yankees must face Happ tomorrow so we will miss Toronto's best pitchers also.  They can be beaten up there.  I still hate a one off but like our chances.  I would send Gausman if we make it.

We did - Sobo Cafe.  Since it was the last regular season game, we figured we'd end where we started.  Love that place! 

Hopefully, we'll be back in a week or so...

9 hours ago, ebk said:

We did - Sobo Cafe.  Since it was the last regular season game, we figured we'd end where we started.  Love that place! 

Hopefully, we'll be back in a week or so...

I loved it too an of course your company.  Someday I hope to return.  I am really hoping we can secure this wild card spot.  Go beat Toronto and maybe get the game at home?  If we do I am convinced Guasman is our best starting guy.  I mean, Miley was great the other day but it was Arizona.  I did not see anything like Gausman did to Boston.  Wilson actually pitched a 3 hitter up in Boston early in the year and I do not even think Jim Palmer remembers it?  Cleveland is at Detroit and I hope they beat them up and that will help us also.  Seattle is playing in Houston and that helps also.  So its up to us to help ourselves and hit the ball in Toronto.  We have to win to make it.  Then who knows?  We win the one off and then we get to go to either Cleveland or Texas.  But that is a long way off right now.  I am not sure i would use Mancini as any more than a pinch hitter in this crunch time.?  I know the kid came in with a bang but I think Kim gives us a chance at the plate to get hits and I am wondering if Rickard even is in the plans going forward?  He is better than Stubbs who sucks.  He cant hit.  Born can.  He is the guy I would go to if needed over Stubbs for speed.  I would use Stubbs only as a pinch runner.  Trumbo, Machado and Jones and oh yes, Davis must come though.  Davis has been way off his game.  He needs to wake up and fast.  And Schoop too.  Schoop has been Mr Clutch for us.  Remember the HR at the game I went to in SF.  Miracle come back.  He has to be better.  The day off hopefully will help him.  Go O's.

Back to Vin Skully and the Dodgers, it was a fitting end.  And the guy hit his first HR all year on the walk off!  Skully will call the road games I have heard?  I will tune in on my MLB channels.  The game at SF Friday night will be big.  I know that King will be cheering for the Dodgers to help out his Cardinals.  

It was a great thing that all of the stadiums had a ceremony for Jose Fernandez.  What a tragedy.  I still cant believe it.

4 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

^^ O's are 1.5 games up on Detroit at the moment, but I'm sure you already knew that. Like I said before, I like the O's and Detroit, so I'm kind of torn about who to root for in that race.

Let's go Mets and G-Men....

Well then hope we put an ass whipping on Toronto and Detroit ends the domination Cleveland has had over them.  I am not sure that is going to happen because Cleveland was flat vs the White Sox and lost so they are out to make ammends and have the best record.  I think Detroit will give them a fight and a split is something I can accept.  I am of course cheering for Cleveland to put them out.  I am not really scared of Seattle and Houston but if either of them tie us, we are in trouble.  Detroit we won the series against.  So how does that work?  Do they implement the tie breaker and award the wild card or do they make the teams play a one off?  Does anyone know?

^^ If you're asking what would happen if the Tigers and O's finish with the same record, I'm not sure either. If I had to guess, I would think they would play a tiebreaker game then travel to Toronto for the wild card playoff. But again, I'm just guessing, I'm not sure what would happen...

:unsure:

2 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

^^ If you're asking what would happen if the Tigers and O's finish with the same record, I'm not sure either. If I had to guess, I would think they would play a tiebreaker game then travel to Toronto for the wild card playoff. But again, I'm just guessing, I'm not sure what would happen...

:unsure:

I thought they did it for the division title for sure but you might be correct?  I know that we would beat Detroit in any tiebreaker and lose to Houston or Seattle who are both farther back.  We are not done with Toronto.  We can still get the number one seed and play at home.  We are only 1.5 back depending on the outcome vs the Yankees tonight.  I think I already know how that will go.  Happ is a 20 game winner vs a team that has scored 3 runs in 5 games.  All in one game.  We are going to miss Happ and our best guys in Gausman and Tillman are ready to go.  Our bullpen is ready and O'Day is rested.  Its a matter of guys like Manny Machado hitting the ball.  If we hit, and guys like Trumbo and Davis hit, I like our chances.  I would like to win at least 2 in Toronto.  If we only win 1 we are not dead but then may have to sweep the Yankees.  Doable.

The Saint Louis Cardinals are not helping themselves by letting the Cincinnati Reds beat them by a score of 15-2.  Just like the Giants and the Mets, the Cardinals need to bring out their best and win as many games in this last push to make the 2016 Post-Season. 

It feels pretty weird and different knowing that the Saint Louis Cardinals are not a lock to make it to the Playoffs this year, like they have been in the past 5 years.  Just like Rick, I have faith that my team will prevail.  If they do not, all I can say is that I know that the Cardinals did their best and gave it their All and that they will be even more determined to reclaim their recent domination of the National League Central Division next year and all the years to come.

15 hours ago, kingzoso said:

The Saint Louis Cardinals are not helping themselves by letting the Cincinnati Reds beat them by a score of 15-2.  Just like the Giants and the Mets, the Cardinals need to bring out their best and win as many games in this last push to make the 2016 Post-Season. 

SF is a super letdown this year.

Archived