2016 MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL THREAD

SuperDave

16 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

Maybe not the "greatest World Series"--I think anyone saying that may be getting a little carried away, but it is the greatest story; the Cubs finally beating the so-called curse.

Maddon may have been roasted for some of his moves had the Cubs lost--but as they say--all's well that ends well.

I'm not sure if I'm right about this, but apparently this was one of the highest rated Series ever--if not the highest. I think the Cubs would have been a huge draw no matter who they played, but the Indians were a great story as well...

I think it was one of the greatest World Series games ever played. It had it all.

I do feel for the Cleveland fans, but I'm sure they'll be in the thick of it next year, just like the Giants. :)

No reply from King. He has no class.

1 hour ago, redrum said:

I think it was one of the greatest World Series games ever played. It had it all.

I do feel for the Cleveland fans, but I'm sure they'll be in the thick of it next year, just like the Giants. :)

No reply from King. He has no class.

I have a lot of class, I just don't like the Chicago Cubs. 

6 hours ago, redrum said:

A Pence trade to the Cardinals. :lol:

I will send both of my Pence bobbleheads there.  That is what they gave me at AT&T Park.  That  and a ton of trash talk when they were up 7-1.  It did not end so well for them.  We won 8-7.  A very memorable victory though I wonder if Schoop even remembers that 3 run HR he hit?  What a park!  Its a great park.  

I am terrified of what our GM and Owner is going to do.  I guess its pretty much on the owner.  I know the Atlanta Braves are coming after Matt Wieters.  The only jersey i own has his name on it.  Its a Baltimore road jersey.  I like the old gray road jersey's the best.  I think we have the right to match any offer?

Is that correct King?   If a team makes an offer to one of your players, lets say Carpenter just to use as an example.  St Louis would have the right to match the offer like they do in hockey right/   I remember Edmonton in hockey offered Thomas Vanek of the Sabres, my favorite hockey team a ridiculous amount of money.  We had no choice but to match it to keep him.  He was our best forward at the time, or top 3 for sure. 

I do not have a ton of faith in Angelos.  He best pony up this year.  We are close.  we can get to the top of the mountain if he comes through.  WE led the majors in HRs and it was not even close.  Tons of power. And 5 gold gloves to boot!!!!

4 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I am terrified of what our GM and Owner is going to do.  I guess its pretty much on the owner.  I know the Atlanta Braves are coming after Matt Wieters.  The only jersey i own has his name on it.  Its a Baltimore road jersey.  I like the old gray road jersey's the best.  I think we have the right to match any offer?

Is that correct King?   If a team makes an offer to one of your players, lets say Carpenter just to use as an example.  St Louis would have the right to match the offer like they do in hockey right/   I remember Edmonton in hockey offered Thomas Vanek of the Sabres, my favorite hockey team a ridiculous amount of money.  We had no choice but to match it to keep him.  He was our best forward at the time, or top 3 for sure. 

How the Fuck am I supposed to know?  Just kidding, (I really am just kidding).

I know that the Owners, General Manager and the Manager of all MLB teams have a say in how they want their team to go forward for the next season or seasons.  The Owners have the money and the GM has clout.  Obviously there is a lot of front and back door dealings and negotiations that happen, but I do think that there is some sort of clause in a players contract that requires him to consider both sides of the deal.  Then again there is the clubs option to pick up or deny/release a player under contract.  A good case in point is the Saint Louis Cardinals decision (management) not to pick up the last year of Cardinals outfielder Matt Holliday.  I don't live in Saint Louis anymore but I still follow all this via my phone.  (MLB at Bat is awesome).  Matt Holliday has been with the Cardinals for a lot of years and was/is a Cardinals fan favorite, however the STL organizations declined his last year option. 

I do believe that anything can happen in Baseball during the off-season and for all I know the Baltimore Orioles could sign Matt Holliday to a one year deal. 

7 hours ago, kingzoso said:

How the Fuck am I supposed to know?  Just kidding, (I really am just kidding).

I know that the Owners, General Manager and the Manager of all MLB teams have a say in how they want their team to go forward for the next season or seasons.  The Owners have the money and the GM has clout.  Obviously there is a lot of front and back door dealings and negotiations that happen, but I do think that there is some sort of clause in a players contract that requires him to consider both sides of the deal.  Then again there is the clubs option to pick up or deny/release a player under contract.  A good case in point is the Saint Louis Cardinals decision (management) not to pick up the last year of Cardinals outfielder Matt Holliday.  I don't live in Saint Louis anymore but I still follow all this via my phone.  (MLB at Bat is awesome).  Matt Holliday has been with the Cardinals for a lot of years and was/is a Cardinals fan favorite, however the STL organizations declined his last year option. 

I do believe that anything can happen in Baseball during the off-season and for all I know the Baltimore Orioles could sign Matt Holliday to a one year deal. 

So you do not know the actual rules?  I believe that a team has the right to match any offer to keep a player.  Of course they have these no trade clause's now that I detest.  I mean, if Free agency is legal now, and it is in full bloom, then you really should not be able to block a GM from trading you to a certain team.  And what is the limit of teams on that list?  If I was playing and was lets say a SS, as I played infield in little league, I would put the NY Yankees on my list of "do not trade me to this team" list.  That would likely be it. In hockey it would be Philly.  I know the Atlanta Braves are going to make a pretty juicy offer to Matt Wieters.  I just hope that we match them or he turns them down.   I now he wanted to stay in Baltimore before.  The Yankees tried to steal Hardy and I know we went out of our way to keep him.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2016 at 5:51 PM, kingzoso said:

I have a lot of class, I just don't like the Chicago Cubs. 

Billy Bob Thornton is on Kelly Live talking about his "love for the Cardinals>"  Friends with LaRussa and he used to text La Russa in the dugout during games.  I guess Tony told him " you have to stop this man!"  But I am sure  this is something you knew?

Managers of the Year last night--no shock on either side as Tito Francona and Dave Roberts were both deserving of the award. 

Cy Youngs get handed out tonight & that should be interesting--some may think that Zach Britton would be a shoe-in for the American League, but you never know...

12 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Billy Bob Thornton is on Kelly Live talking about his "love for the Cardinals>"  Friends with LaRussa and he used to text La Russa in the dugout during games.  I guess Tony told him " you have to stop this man!"  But I am sure  this is something you knew?

I think that I recall hearing about Billy Bob being a Cardinals fan.  I know that Jon Hamm (of Mad Men) is also a very big Saint Louis Cardinals fan as well. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Bong-Man said:

Fire sale in Motown.....Anyone in need of a Cy Young Winner or an MVP Triple Crown winner ?  

Its not even Xmas and you are talking baseball?  Welll I have been getting texts that the Orioles are after Pagan from SF.  And are intent on keeping Wieters who the Nationals want now.  I am praying he stays.  We need Wieters.  And we need Trumbo but no word on him yet.

Someone needs to start a new baseball thread for 2017 at some point?  I think Paul is the guy?  Anyway, fucking Trumbo turned down our qualifying offer.  What a surprise.  So if he walks, or gets the keys to the city somewhere else, Duquette will have to work some more magic and find the next right handed power hitter that can take advantage of our friendly ball park.  I am hoping that no on bites because after all, Trumbo will demand a draft pick and also cannot play defense very well.  He is a DH.  His numbers will likely diminish in a larger park.  We have a very good team moving forward with 3 big moves that need to be made.  Replacing Trumbo if he is gone.  Getting a starting leftie.  And trying to sign Matt Wieteres.  This kid Sisco is supposed to be the next coming of Johhny Bench the way they talk about him but needs more grooming to get ready for the bigs?

Archived