the "BLAST OFF" solo in "IN THE EVENING"

z1inspector

Very  good version and Page does indeed  "blast-off", although still noticeably different than the studio version. But it

doesn't matter much, it's somewhere in the ballpark  and  it has the intended effect. Interesting, the shows I have Jimmy

doesn't  even try that part.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2016 at 9:13 AM, lcondo123 said:

I always thought that this live version was spectacular, this has one hell of a blast off solo IMO. It's got a nice bit of Carouselambra in there, too.

& BANG! there he pulls it off! LIVE  plenty close enough for anyone AWSOME!

(&  thats the EXACT look on his face I ALWAYS KNEW he wouid have!  )

thanks for posting

anyone find any more videos?

On 1/7/2016 at 2:13 PM, lcondo123 said:

I always thought that this live version was spectacular, this has one hell of a blast off solo IMO. It's got a nice bit of Carouselambra in there, too.

I love how  Page throws his Cigarette out of his mouth when starting the solo.

• 2 weeks later...

Love seeing a thread about that part of the song. It's always been my favorite part of the song. 

It shows how creative Page could be. Even in the state he was in during that period. 

So much energy and noise. I always turn the song up, and especially before that part of the song. 

14 hours ago, BlackDog71 said:

Love seeing a thread about that part of the song. It's always been my favorite part of the song. 

It shows how creative Page could be. Even in the state he was in during that period. 

So much energy and noise. I always turn the song up, and especially before that part of the song. 

i feel the same way,how amazing of an input by jimmy was that ! during those heavy addiction years!   sO amazing he was THAT on top of his creativity STILL & BLEW EVERYONE AWAY WITH THAT BLASTOFF!

im sure EVERYONE took notice & just shook their heads in aw when the song got to that part for the 1st time for them,

i mean the song alone was superior than anything any other band  could generate & then THAT too!   i cant imagine any band thinking  or feeling anything but pure amazement twords ZEP !

On 12/29/2015 at 9:50 PM, sixpense said:

Somewhat of an example around 3:08 

heres Another one thats even better , but u have to listen BEFORE the camara turns to page ,because he alteady started while the camara is on a violin? or ? 

AND ITS REALLY GOOD

Yeah, that's a damn good approximation. I as well salute Page for even when he was  burning the candle at both ends

and in the middle, his creativity on ITTOD had no limit and that "blast-off" in ITE had Jimmy outdoing the young and 

reckless EVH , for a few seconds, anyway. I was around when the song was first released and it never failed to make my

hair stand on end. Jimmy Page, Sonic Sculptor !!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2016 at 10:26 PM, Mithril46 said:

Yeah, that's a damn good approximation. I as well salute Page for even when he was  burning the candle at both ends

and in the middle, his creativity on ITTOD had no limit and that "blast-off" in ITE had Jimmy outdoing the young and 

reckless EVH , for a few seconds, anyway. I was around when the song was first released and it never failed to make my

hair stand on end. Jimmy Page, Sonic Sculptor !!!!

i wish i was catching the chatter about back then, there HAD TO have been ALOT of it!   wish some players would attempt it & post it here for us to see!

Well what I recall was Page was totally GOLD standard in 79' and it is maybe not that known that there were practically

no shabby boots from 77' to tarnish him, not even Destroyer really. I'm not even sure that fans who came into Zep

years after Bonzo's death realize what a GOD Page was before all the revelations and boots with bad playing emerged.

Anyway Clapton and Beck were great, but neither had the killer combo of great solos and GREAT

songwriting for a decade straight. EVH was considered a revolutionary, but although they were (VH) blistering live,

they never came up with songs as deep as Zep's, and in 79' obviously Eddie didn't yet have a long track record.

The "Blast-Off Solo"-- was considered awesome, but back then if you tried that on any Strat, forget it--the rest of

the song would be ruined, and it would take another 5 minutes to tune back up. Actually a good tech even back then

could set up your Strat to "Blast--off", but you would still risk breaking a string, tuning nightmares, etc.,.

On 2/21/2016 at 2:18 AM, Mithril46 said:

Well what I recall was Page was totally GOLD standard in 79' and it is maybe not that known that there were practically

no shabby boots from 77' to tarnish him, not even Destroyer really. I'm not even sure that fans who came into Zep

years after Bonzo's death realize what a GOD Page was before all the revelations and boots with bad playing emerged.

Anyway Clapton and Beck were great, but neither had the killer combo of great solos and GREAT

songwriting for a decade straight. EVH was considered a revolutionary, but although they were (VH) blistering live,

they never came up with songs as deep as Zep's, and in 79' obviously Eddie didn't yet have a long track record.

The "Blast-Off Solo"-- was considered awesome, but back then if you tried that on any Strat, forget it--the rest of

the song would be ruined, and it would take another 5 minutes to tune back up. Actually a good tech even back then

could set up your Strat to "Blast--off", but you would still risk breaking a string, tuning nightmares, etc.,.

i see.......love your reply , it put me to back then , a glimps of what was in the air

On 2/1/2016 at 5:29 PM, z1inspector said:

heres Another one thats even better , but u have to listen BEFORE the camara turns to page ,because he alteady started while the camara is on a violin? or ? 

AND ITS REALLY GOOD

what happend to the live footage i posted here of pagey doing the blast off ???

it was a very important video for this topic, a REALLY GREAT version

On 2/1/2016 at 5:29 PM, z1inspector said:

AND ITS REALLY GOOD

how will i find it again, im sure i posted it here,everyones got to see it! 

Yeah, that's real cool, close to what Page was aiming for on the studio version. Actually the gigs I saw on that tour, pretty

sure Page was using his Zep-era Lake Placid Blue Strat, maybe that's why he didn't even try the "blast-off". That dark/light

woodgrain Strat Page is using there has a much advanced tremelo system than the vintage. Another outrageous solo(well

some people hate it) is the 07' For Your Life .. Page goes totally off the cliff here, incredible echo/delay sound , the notes

sound like springs being pulled tight then released, never heard Page play anything like it. But, it's nowhere close to the

studio solo which may have disappointed some.

On 3/1/2016 at 0:16 AM, Mithril46 said:

Yeah, that's real cool, close to what Page was aiming for on the studio version. Actually the gigs I saw on that tour, pretty

sure Page was using his Zep-era Lake Placid Blue Strat, maybe that's why he didn't even try the "blast-off". That dark/light

woodgrain Strat Page is using there has a much advanced tremelo system than the vintage. Another outrageous solo(well

some people hate it) is the 07' For Your Life .. Page goes totally off the cliff here, incredible echo/delay sound , the notes

sound like springs being pulled tight then released, never heard Page play anything like it. But, it's nowhere close to the

studio solo which may have disappointed some.

thanks for your view ,& i just checked out that FOR YOUR LIFE solo , you can hear those springs for sure ,interesting!

its def a different kind of solo, likely if its also on the original version also is how IN THE EVENINGS "bladstoff" came about, maybe!

• 2 months later...

Yeah, let's hear some more attempts. I'm just slightly pissed that the 4 95' P/P shows I SAW  Page was using his blue

Strat, no blastoff. He never did it with Zep in 79'-80' either. Page did some pretty cool tremolo stuff in 98' on the live

version of "Walking Into Clarksdale". Forget the studio version, Jimmy's doing some really twisted stuff, although if

I remember right he's playing a PRS without a Floyd, but the tremolo stays in tune.

On January 19, 2016 at 4:05 AM, z1inspector said:

& BANG! there he pulls it off! LIVE  plenty close enough for anyone AWSOME!

(&  thats the EXACT look on his face I ALWAYS KNEW he wouid have!  )

thanks for posting

anyone find any more videos?

The Detroit/Auburn Hills one from April '95 is great - and it sounds among the best because it's a multitrack mixdown that was originally considered for a CD-single/EP release - there are 4 or 5 tracks from that show available in great sound quality (slightly light on the bass, but that's easily fixed with a little EQ).

What I love about the original studio version, though, is that it's not a simple "blast off" like these live versions (which also are great). Page is sort of hit-hit-hitting the whammy bar in the studio version, so there's the sound of multiple impacts, like the whole thing is about to fall apart, but doesn't. It's inspired.

On 5/15/2016 at 1:55 AM, Mithril46 said:

Yeah, let's hear some more attempts. I'm just slightly pissed that the 4 95' P/P shows I SAW  Page was using his blue

Strat, no blastoff. He never did it with Zep in 79'-80' either. Page did some pretty cool tremolo stuff in 98' on the live

version of "Walking Into Clarksdale". Forget the studio version, Jimmy's doing some really twisted stuff, although if

I remember right he's playing a PRS without a Floyd, but the tremolo stays in tune.

• 2 years later...

I'm pretty sure that actually I read in one of those English Rock magazines that Jimmy said that "crash" part was a collage

of 3 or 4 tremolo "crashes". Even some metal guy with the best Floyd Rose couldn't pull that off. It's like the noise section

in studio WLL, back then at least you couldn't reproduce it live, impossible. But the YouTube posts definitely have Jimmy

being pretty radical.

I seem to recall an interview where Page talked about that intro to the solo and how proud of it he was.  He made the point that he would like to see someone else try to do something like that.  It, is remarkable.  I always thought it sounded like lightning and it reminded me of bits in the freakout section of WLL but not exactly.