the "BLAST OFF" solo in "IN THE EVENING"

z1inspector

the amazing "BLAST OFF" part of the solo in "IN THE EVENING" sO unique,original,perfect for the song!

Id like to hear some feedback on it:

-what musicians thought of it first X hearing it

-Page & Plant tour= someX's  PAGE did play that part ,it was hard live ,however somewhere on Utube i DID see him "pull it off" live!

One X in particular LIVE he REALLY NAILED IT! can someone share THAT link? or any other versions  audio or video ?

Edited by z1inspector
spelling

I've often thought that it would have been a great show-opener for them.    That swirling beginning sound would start softly while the house lights were still on, coming from a pre-recorded tape.  The volume would ever so slightly be raised until the house lights went off.  Now quite loud.  Then, a spotlight picks out Plant on stage with his, "In the eeeeeeeeevening"  Then, the stage erupts with those magnesium light-blasts as Page, Jones, and Bonham launch into that famous riff.    

I've often thought that it would have been a great show-opener for them.    That swirling beginning sound would start softly while the house lights were still on, coming from a pre-recorded tape.  The volume would ever so slightly be raised until the house lights went off.  Now quite loud.  Then, a spotlight picks out Plant on stage with his, "In the eeeeeeeeevening"  Then, the stage erupts with those magnesium light-blasts as Page, Jones, and Bonham launch into that famous riff.    

YES INDEED ! great reply ! i can see it ,  im all pumped now!  

the amazing "BLAST OFF" part of the solo in "IN THE EVENING" sO unique,original,perfect for the song!

Id like to hear some feedback on it:

-what musicians thought of it first X hearing it

-Page & Plant tour= someX's  PAGE did play that part ,it was hard live ,however somewhere on Utube i DID see him "poll it off" live!

One X in particular LIVE he REALLY NAILED IT! can someone share THAT link? or any other versions  audio or video ?

When I saw P&P in Phoenix Page nailed EVERY solo including the one in ITE. When they played again in 98' Page was, IMO, at the pinnacle of his guitar prowess, even better than his Zeppelin abilities. Just my opinion but Jimmy in 98'- 2001 was just as good if not better than Jeff Beck is today and Beck is currently at his best. 

If I'm getting your question correct, I thought the "blast off" part was Page slamming the cord against his strings when I first heard it. I have heard him say he actually pressed down the whammy bar as far as it would go and then "catastrophically" released it.

The blast off (depressed tremolo bar then released) is overdubbed part of the solo. If you listen to In The Evening from the companion disc, it's buried in the mix compared to the rest of the solo. He fixed the mix on the released version. Definitely a very cool effect. He took it to another level when he used the same guitar on Cadillac from The Firm.

The blast off (depressed tremolo bar then released) is overdubbed part of the solo. If you listen to In The Evening from the companion disc, it's buried in the mix compared to the rest of the solo. He fixed the mix on the released version. Definitely a very cool effect. He took it to another level when he used the same guitar on Cadillac from The Firm.

Oh yes, Cadillac, what a great tune. I try and imagine Robert singing this song, almost a sequel (in mood, not theme) to IMTOD. This is my all time favorite Firm tune and Jimmy's best post-Zeppelin tune bar none IMO. Love it!

• 2 weeks later...

It really is an amazing riff,and the solo is pretty incredible as well!  I know they played it at Knebworth and the power just wasn't there yet, sounded too hollow.  In some of the P&P shows, the power is there.

it really is !!  !would be great if anyone had any videos of it to post!

Well there are great live versions of this song, IMO more so 95' and further ??? Anyway I have never heard

a live version with the studio "blast-off", that is as someone posted a overdub and even if Jimmy tried

something like that live the Strat would likely go way out of tune and wreck the rest of the song. If there

is a version with that amazing blast off live, surely post it here.

Well there are great live versions of this song, IMO more so 95' and further ??? Anyway I have never heard

a live version with the studio "blast-off", that is as someone posted a overdub and even if Jimmy tried

something like that live the Strat would likely go way out of tune and wreck the rest of the song. If there

is a version with that amazing blast off live, surely post it here.

Could have pulled it off with a Floyd Rose setup, however it was not around until the 80's.

Possibly but the studio "blast off"almost sounds like a few things mixed together. I mean it almost sounds

like the Strat springs themselves are being miked or have their own pickup. Also as amazing as EVH is,

Iv'e never heard him sound anything like that live or in the studio. Page could simulate part of it live with

a Rose , but again my ears hear not just hitting the strings depressed and then pulling up, etc., but various

"ambient" sounds coming from the guitar , possibly miked. Actually, if you can play it, I'd love to hear it

posted.

The "blast off" effect was the result of Jimmy Page employing a Gizmotron. 

The Gizmo:  The device, a small box which was attached to the bridge of the guitar, consisted of six small motor-driven wheels with serrated edges to match the size of each string. The continuous bowing action was activated by pressing one or all of keys located on the top of the unit. Pressing a key would allow the wheel to descend against a motor-driven shaft and bow the corresponding string, while the other hand remained free to fret single notes or full chords. An extremely powerful sound could be created that changed dynamically depending on how hard or soft the wheels were pressed against the strings. The sound was also affected by the type of guitar strings (round-wound or flat-wound).

Well he certainly has the parts exactly after the "blast off", but Page couldn't even recreate that live, just like

he couldn't recreate the WLL studio solo live. Not positive, but I think Page in some interview talked about

the ITE solo ,  that it was a collage of sound from the strings being perhaps an octave(?) lower and the springs moving. The WLL solo, by the way, has wah wah, reverse echo and various other treatments that

would sound very fake if attempted stomp box style.

Well he certainly has the parts exactly after the "blast off", but Page couldn't even recreate that live, just like

he couldn't recreate the WLL studio solo live. Not positive, but I think Page in some interview talked about

the ITE solo ,  that it was a collage of sound from the strings being perhaps an octave(?) lower and the springs moving. The WLL solo, by the way, has wah wah, reverse echo and various other treatments that

would sound very fake if attempted stomp box style.

sure appears that he is attempting it LIVE , several dont sound too bad, not sure if the really good one i heard was an overdub, it didnt sound THAT perfect,so it might BE POSSIBLE 

It's surely possible that Page tried something like it, it would be really cool if someone could upload or

post that version. Again I really don't think just one guitar could do it; if you started throwing in loopers

and live multi trackers you could get closer, but getting exactly the springs and moving metal on the guitar

precisely, very difficult. I have about 15 95'-96' shows and Page never attempts that awesome "blast-off"

tremelo crashing, he just pauses very slightly and plays a conventional solo, although if I remember right

he may have been using an octave pedal or whammy pedal on parts of it.

It's surely possible that Page tried something like it, it would be really cool if someone could upload or

post that version. Again I really don't think just one guitar could do it; if you started throwing in loopers

and live multi trackers you could get closer, but getting exactly the springs and moving metal on the guitar

precisely, very difficult. I have about 15 95'-96' shows and Page never attempts that awesome "blast-off"

tremelo crashing, he just pauses very slightly and plays a conventional solo, although if I remember right

he may have been using an octave pedal or whammy pedal on parts of it.

Thanks for your input & i agree seems the later shows (or vice versa) the live song changes into other songs then back to ITE , skipping the blastoff 

HOWEVER theirs a handfull on youtube "somewhere" where he does something pretty close anyway

One of the problems today is that there is such amazing technology about that a prankster could very

well sample the "blast off", add a bit of dirt and diff EQ to create a mild difference, and there you go.

This of course has been going on forever on bootlegs, and in the last 10-15 yrs in particular many 

"average" boots have been quite skillfully(some made worse, too) made considerably better thru

various audio and computer means.

One of the problems today is that there is such amazing technology about that a prankster could very

well sample the "blast off", add a bit of dirt and diff EQ to create a mild difference, and there you go.

This of course has been going on forever on bootlegs, and in the last 10-15 yrs in particular many 

"average" boots have been quite skillfully(some made worse, too) made considerably better thru

various audio and computer means.

true however sampling isnt the same as pulling off playing anything close , but i understand your point ,

i guess we must watch how its played closely