Jason Thinks Led Zeppelin Will Play Again

Whigged

The interviewer discusses at length a concert from EIGHT YEARS AGO but tells readers essentially nothing about the show the JBLZE will be performing in Boston on December 19th 2015.

The show is dedicated to Led Zeppelin. The interviewer asks about Led Zeppelin. It's not a show review, it's an interview. Also, regarding the JBLZE, he asks him:

1. Hardest songs to play

2. How he decides on what version of the songs to play

3. About the songs he's playing live that are underrated.

It's for the mainstream as well, and the line of questioning was meant to cover a wide range of topics that many people are not that familiar with.

Vanyaland has a pretty wide ranging interview with Jason today. He talks about playing with Jimmy on the Outrider tour and says that "In my heart of hearts" that he thinks Zep will perform again.

I thought this was a really great interview. I love how much his dad's legacy means to
Jason. He's sounds so grateful and honored by it all as he's gotten older. The fact 
Jason's been able to embrace it, yet also bring his own style into it is wonderful. The
Jimmy comment about copying the wrong John was telling of that

It's one thing to be the child of one of the 4 Zep members an be told your dad was / is
a musical legend, but to be able to experience it the way Jason has is very special. It
probably makes him feel that much closer to his dad. 
He's got the grab the bull by the
horns approach to it all. 

And  what a tease with the whole Zep playing privately! Somewhere in a garage
there's Jimmy, Robert, Jonesy and himself jamming away. Great read indeed!!

Whigged Thanks for posting :)

I thought this was a really great interview. I love how much his dad's legacy means toJason. He's sounds so grateful and honored by it all as he's gotten older. The fact 
Jason's been able to embrace it, yet also bring his own style into it is wonderful. The
Jimmy comment about copying the wrong John was telling of that

It's one thing to be the child of one of the 4 Zep members an be told your dad was / is
a musical legend, but to be able to experience it the way Jason has is very special. It
probably makes him feel that much closer to his dad. 
He's got the grab the bull by the
horns approach to it all. 
And  what a tease with the whole Zep playing privately! Somewhere in a garage
there's Jimmy, Robert, Jonesy and himself jamming away. Great read indeed!!

Whigged Thanks for posting :)

From what I've read the private Led Zeppelin performances took place at weddings and other private social functions.  My guess is that someone is getting married or celebrating another life milestone.

Nice interview from someone who has matured and got some perspective on his own life. Sounds like there might be some sort of private performance in the works. Is Jimbo marrying that young lady, at Boleskin, wearing a druid's mantle?

That was a great interview, Jason is and continues to be a class act all round, and one who would make his Dad proud were he still here... very touching when Jason stated about never telling his Dad how great he was prior to his passing, and it just made me think; if anyone here still hasn't told their folks how much they love them, for the love of God, do it... you may never get another chance, Jason didn't.  What better season than now to do so...

Merry Christmas and a happy 2016 to all.

Wishful thinking, Jason.  I can't say it will never happen, as Robert surprised us all by doing the O2 show when we had become convinced it would never happen.  However, the O2 show was a major success, performance wise, and Plant seems to have satisfied himself that they erased the awful reunion shows before.   The legacy was repaired in a big way as a closing chapter.  I am totally convinced that there will never be a tour, but it is possible, I guess, that if Robert's mood is right, his schedule is okay, and the cause/event is noble enough, we just MIGHT get another one-off.

I think if Jason is saying "we might all get together and play again sometime", I would be willing to bet some money on that.  I think it would be a two or three song thing, maybe accepting another award, or another LiveAid style thing.  But another tour is not gonna happen.

That was a great interview, Jason is and continues to be a class act all round, and one who would make his Dad proud were he still here... very touching when Jason stated about never telling his Dad how great he was prior to his passing, and it just made me think; if anyone here still hasn't told their folks how much they love them, for the love of God, do it... you may never get another chance, Jason didn't.  What better season than now to do so...

Merry Christmas and a happy 2016 to all.

Good advice. Good on you mate. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Much love.

I also don't think another tour would happen. I am not even convinced it would be as great a thing as some think. I think Robert sees this clearly. Although, You bet I would be going to every concert I could! And I'd love every second!

The occasional one off would be more likely (if anything).

Now for my 2 cents.....

What I think would be brilliant is unannounced appearances on shows like Rock Wiz (I fantasise about this so often!) followed by some local unannounced pub gigs. Would be so epic...

Rock Wiz - A local show here in Oz that mostly have local artists - sometimes international ones, and they play a track at intro and a track to end the show. It's a QandA show on music, casual format with 2 teams, a guest on each team, and an audience member also on each team. It is usually filmed from a small but great old pub in Vic. Sometimes, at a larger venue for special occasions. It truly is a great little show.  But I am rambling on.

An example of how good the backing band is (they are the BOMB)....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzrJRQgVTw4

A bit niche I know, but I had to get that out there. LOL

JP on one team, JPJ on the other. I think I would actually cry. I really do.

• 2 weeks later...

Well as some private functions were mentioned there is a small chance they could play privately. I think

if Robert said to Jimmy we could jam/play privately but not one word towards anything else otherwise

the situation is over before it begins, possibly it could happen. I think Jimmy would much rather play

with Robert even with no gig or tour than never play with him again at all. Might be hard to swallow

but Jimmy certainly seems to play and feel best with Robert, even though obviously this wouldn't be

what he exactly wants.

I think if Jason is saying "we might all get together and play again sometime", I would be willing to bet some money on that.  I think it would be a two or three song thing, maybe accepting another award, or another LiveAid style thing.  But another tour is not gonna happen.

Okay, so the 50th Anniversary of the formation of LZ in 1968 will be in 2018...

Despite the fact that the others could be up to it, Robert musically speaking simply couldn't do it(sang great

at 07'). This has to be repeated I guess for the millionth time. Robert having to sing the songs in a much

lower key, changing the song's feel and revealing him naked and exposed, Nobody wants that. Would

Page do a reunion with 2 fingers ?? That's what Page should have/ do now, is put himself in Plant's

shoes, as good as the 07' show was , there was much flak with the band lowering the keys of the

songs. And Plant was the target.

^ The issue I have with this narrative is that it switches the focus about why nothing materialized post-O2, this idea that Robert couldn't hack it. Yes the songs were in different keys, but that didn't bother me at all, and I was surprised to read how some people thought it somehow marred the songs, as if they weren't executed well. From all reports I've read about the event, the only one so far to have escaped criticism was Jonesy; the other three have gotten their fair share for various reasons.

But the main point is that Robert has been clear and consistent about his desire and reasons for NOT reforming Zep, these being repeated for years leading up to the O2 and then again post-O2. Some may think well he's just hiding the fact that he couldn't possibly sing well, but this concert stands up very well against many boots singing-wise, and Kashmir sounded better than in any other gig Zep had ever played it (voice cracks and all, with the primal screams toned but complemented by a wider vocal range; all of them were incredible and locked in for it). 

Anyone who attended a RP/SSS concert will attest that he can bring it out in any way he pleases, though there are undoubtedly challenges of maintaining the voice with age. But those who think he's hiding behind a faltering instrument have to explain why he refused in all the previous years as well. Just doesn't make sense, even if being older requires adjustments.

Seems people keep throwing different reasons out every now and again as if doing so will somehow clear up a mystery while turning a deaf ear to a very clear, oft-repeated message.

You have many good points, but all this has already been suggested, Why not play half a set of blues

numbers, and the rest Zep songs never played live. Or half acoustic set, the rest a combo of new songs

and a few Zep electric classics. IMO Robert will always have an incredible voice and had he a strong

desire he could hook up with Jimmy again, There are many threads that discuss this in hair splitting

detail, so I don't want to repeat previous ideas ad nauseum.

You have many good points, but all this has already been suggested, Why not play half a set of blues

numbers, and the rest Zep songs never played live. Or half acoustic set, the rest a combo of new songs

and a few Zep electric classics. IMO Robert will always have an incredible voice and had he a strong

desire he could hook up with Jimmy again, There are many threads that discuss this in hair splitting

detail, so I don't want to repeat previous ideas ad nauseum.

There's the rub. They already tried it, and the results on and off stage were what they were. Whatever temptation there may have been left is tempered with experience. That and the whole not being a juke box, you'd have to exhume, etc., etc., blunt comments ad nauseam, as you say, Mithril (excellent user name, by the way). He even sued a newspaper for writing rubbish about turning down wads to reform. Strong statement, that. Jason himself even recalled how he was told in a heartfelt way by Robert that Bonzo gone makes the band gone with him. So while all possibilities of show configurations still get poured over by fans, the four of them are clearly on different paths now. 

For the record, I wasn't singling you out, Mithril, just addressing an idea I've seen being repeated several times recently. Yes, let's let the hair splitting end.

Archived