Boleskine

Underfoot75

"But your holy place shall be untouched throughout the centuries: though with fire and sword it be burnt down & shattered, yet an invisible house there standeth, and shall stand until the fall of the Great Equinox..." (CCXX III: 34)

Cool, they finally found the special FX to turn it invisible....it's a miracle!

Crowley should have finished the Abra-Melin ritual there instead of leaving halfway through imo.

Edited by reswati

What bad news for a historic home, maybe rumour, but did the previous house on the site burn down also.

Originally named Boleskine Lodge, it was built as a hunting lodge in the late 18th century by the Honorable Archibald Fraser who was related to Lieutenant General Simon Fraser, Lord Lovat. The house was built on land acquired from the Church on a site reputedly chosen to annoy Lord Lovat whose estate surrounded the property. During the Jacobite rebellion of 1745, Lord Lovat had unpopularly supported the English. Legend has it that the lodge may have been built on the site of a church that burned down with the entire congregation inside, but this is unconfirmed and a myth in my opinion. 

There goes a place, that I really wanted to visit! It's been on my travel bucket list for quite a while now! :( What a shame! I really can't help but wonder whether the location of the Boleskine house might be cursed! :unsure: I mean, after all, this isn't the first time that a fire has occurred in the area! :wacko: 

Could be cursed. Crowley performed a ritual there which he never fnished (hence he had no time to ban the entities he summoned up).

Interesting article JTM.  It is a fascinating history - whether fact or fiction.  I'm not much of a believer of such things, however when there are that many different stories from all of those different people - it makes you wonder... 

I guess those "demons" had errands to run, or had a hard time finding a book of matches since it took 115 years, from the date of the summoning, to torch the joint.

So, in summation, old house burns down. Let's see, could it have been electrical? Maybe a lighting strike? How about some asshole flicking a cigarette butt into some dry-rotted lattice? Naw, must be those pesky demons. I knew they should have called the Ghostbusters.

Writing as someone who lives up the road from Boleskine House, word on the street - and bear in mind this is a rural area so news travels fast without getting too distorted - is that the very private house owners were, thankfully, not in the house when the fire broke out. The news was greeted with sadness and shock by many local people, especially in the music and arts communities.

The other thing that has been supposed by my local friends is that they would not be surprised that the house could have been arsoned by some of the more staunch and vehement Protestant church members who still hold sway and power up here. Unlikely, perhaps, but given the dark, hateful and sectarian history of certain churches up here, it's not impossible that arson is a cause. Unforgiving, sanctimonious, fire and brimstone-spouting, women-hating, bible-bashing bigots are capable of anything. [I am internet, hear me theorize!].

I look forward to hearing that a more rational cause is pinpointed, because there is a lot of nonsense (albeit spooky fun nonsense) spouted about the whole Boleskine/Crowley affair, mostly by people who don't know what they're talking about, and with too much time on their hands (unlike us fine, procreative folk on forums such as this, ahem!). :)

Writing as someone who lives up the road from Boleskine House, word on the street - and bear in mind this is a rural area so news travels fast without getting too distorted.

Can you post recent pictures if you live just up the road? Can you please post updates, such as if they bulldoze the remainder of the house? Please keep us informed since you have an insider view, I would be interested to know. Thanks.

Writing as someone who lives up the road from Boleskine House, word on the street - and bear in mind this is a rural area so news travels fast without getting too distorted - is that the very private house owners were, thankfully, not in the house when the fire broke out. The news was greeted with sadness and shock by many local people, especially in the music and arts communities.

The other thing that has been supposed by my local friends is that they would not be surprised that the house could have been arsoned by some of the more staunch and vehement Protestant church members who still hold sway and power up here. Unlikely, perhaps, but given the dark, hateful and sectarian history of certain churches up here, it's not impossible that arson is a cause. Unforgiving, sanctimonious, fire and brimstone-spouting, women-hating, bible-bashing bigots are capable of anything. [I am internet, hear me theorize!].

I look forward to hearing that a more rational cause is pinpointed, because there is a lot of nonsense (albeit spooky fun nonsense) spouted about the whole Boleskine/Crowley affair, mostly by people who don't know what they're talking about, and with too much time on their hands (unlike us fine, procreative folk on forums such as this, ahem!). :)

This seems interesting, thanks for this write up on Boleskine House. So sad that iit has been distroyed in a large fire. I hope the true cause of the fire will be found.......

Can you post recent pictures if you live just up the road? Can you please post updates, such as if they bulldoze the remainder of the house? Please keep us informed since you have an insider view, I would be interested to know. Thanks.

Hello - I haven't yet visited the site but intend to during our short daylight hours. It is, however, very difficult to get a full photo of Boleskine House without trespassing, which is not my intention to do. You can only partially see the house from the entrance gate and the road, which is part of the whole point of the design, I guess.

Here's a link to a short video clip of the fire, which look like it was filmed along the hillside, which means the person filming had to leave the narrow road and climb up through trees and bushes to get the shot (technically trespassing).

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/highlands/787946/fire-crews-battling-save-highland-mansion/

And here's another local press report on same. Note the mean-spirited comment below it - very typical of certain self-righteous nincompoops on this earth.

http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/News/Fire-rips-through-historic-Boleskine-House-at-Loch-Ness-23122015.htm

I'll post any decent pix of the house if and when I get them.