Best Page & Plant boot

godzilla777

Yes, I second this request. Is there a "best" or even top five boots from both the 95' & 98' tours? Also, for added bonus, is there a complete show on video / DVD? I would love to have that Japan gig where Page plays Tea for One.

I have a DVD of the September 24, 1998 concert in Phoenix, it's the complete show, and it's damn good, Page is on fire! From what I remember reading from other people's reviews Page was just getting better and better as the tour went on, so from that standpoint I would look for the later shows.

Edited by luvlz2

I'm much better versed on the audio than the video. Some recommendations for audio:

1. 1995 04 01 Auburn Hills (Detroit) - great-sounding multitrack mixdown exists of about five of the songs from this show
  2. 1995 05 19/20 Oakland/San Jose - very nice 1995 performances. 5 19 is thought to be a slightly better performance and exists in a fantastic sounding audience recording. 5 20 exists in a similarly good-sounding AUD, as well as a mono soundboard - but by far the best is a Westwood One source for an FM broadcast. Only covers 11 of the songs, but by far the best-sounding, fantastic
  3. 1995 06 25 Glastonbury - a shorter, festival set, but sounds great, and kicks ass. Either a professional mix or a soundboard, I forget which. The best-sounding version I've heard is from a DVD that includes video.
  4. 1995 09 29 Albuquerque/10 03 Irvine Meadows - Two great shows in the Western US. I think many fans prefer 9 29, but I favor 10 03, partially because of the sound.
  5. 1996 02 13, 15 and 17 Japan - Fantastic Japan run, these are the three shows that exist in SBD quality. These shows include the aforementioned Tea for One performance, as well as a stupendous version of The Rain Song. My favorite is the final show on the 17th, but all three are great. They are available in excellent, though very slightly dry, soundboard quality - but my favorites are fan-made soundboard-audience matrix versions. You can't go wrong with these three dates in virtually any format.
  6. 1998 03 25 Shepherd's Bush Empire (London) - opening show of the 1998 tour. Most folks feel the later shows on this tour are better, and it's true that Page was in his best form since 1973 during the later '98 shows. But this one is still great IMHO, and available in very good sound quality. In fact, three tracks are available in full official-release quality on the Japanese CD max-single of "Shining in the Light." The sound quality is phenemonal.
  7. 1998 03 30 Paris - an FM radio source of a very energetic show. Source is a bit compressed (because it's an off the air recording and FM stations always use compressors), but IMHO well worth it.
  8. 1998 08 23 Cologne - a festival performance but pretty much a full-length set. Also available in video. Great sounding soundboard - not official release quality but close. Fantastic performance - this is the show most folks point to when they argue that late 1998 saw Page playing his best guitar in 25 years.
  9. 1998 09 23 Las Vegas - I would rank this just below Cologne in performance and sound quality, but still excellent.
  10. 1998 10 01 New Orleans - I can't remember if this is an FM broadcast recording or a pre-FM soundboard. But it's a great, and somewhat overlooked, show. There are a couple of versions of this (based on different FM recordings I guess), and some are much duller sounding than others. The best-sounding one is very good indeed.
  11. 1998 12 10 Paris - a very brief set as part of an Amnesty International benefit show, and P & P's last show. There's an official DVD, and the soundtrack is excellent sonically. I think their mini-set from this show is great.

If I had to pick the top one from each year, I guess I'd choose 1995 10 03 Irvine Meadows; 1996 02 17 Japan; and 1998 8 23 Cologne.

Hope this helps!

Yes, I second this request. Is there a "best" or even top five boots from both the 95' & 98' tours? Also, for added bonus, is there a complete show on video / DVD? I would love to have that Japan gig where Page plays Tea for One.

This is not the complete show but this is Page and Plant playing "Tea for One" in Tokyo on February 13, 1996:

Also, I have the following Jimmy Page and Robert Plant dvds:  in chronological order:

1.  Milwaukee, Wisconsin:  May 1, 1995 (?)

2.  Glastonbury Festival:  June 25, 1995

3.  Albuquerque, New Mexico:  September 29, 1995

4.  Irvine (Meadows), California:  October 3, 1995

5.  Buenos Aires, Argentina:  January 25, 1996

6.  Tokyo, Japan:  February 13, 1996 (the same dvd as the above clip for "Tea for One").

7. Osaka, Japan:  February 19, 1996

8. London:  No date given.  The cover of the dvd says, "Jools Holland Later", BBC TV Studios, White City, London, England...

I have not watched these in a long while but I do seem to recall that all 8 of these dvds are of very good to excellent to professional video quality.  I suppose I just might have to watch these dvds again in the near future.  I also seem to recall that I paid no more then $20 for each of these dvds.  Well worth the money or money well spent. 

Also, I have the following Jimmy Page and Robert Plant dvds:  in chronological order:

1.  Milwaukee, Wisconsin:  May 1, 1995 (?)

2.  Glastonbury Festival:  June 25, 1995

3.  Albuquerque, New Mexico:  September 29, 1995

4.  Irvine (Meadows), California:  October 3, 1995

5.  Buenos Aires, Argentina:  January 25, 1996

6.  Tokyo, Japan:  February 13, 1996 (the same dvd as the above clip for "Tea for One").

7. Osaka, Japan:  February 19, 1996

8. London:  No date given.  The cover of the dvd says, "Jools Holland Later", BBC TV Studios, White City, London, England...

I have not watched these in a long while but I do seem to recall that all 8 of these dvds are of very good to excellent to professional video quality.  I suppose I just might have to watch these dvds again in the near future.  I also seem to recall that I paid no more then $20 for each of these dvds.  Well worth the money or money well spent. 

Thanks King, now I know what to look for. Happy New Year!!!

I have several P/P shows, but here are some of my favorites for tracklisting and sound:

Together Again- This has several things from P/P from '88-'94 including a version of You Shook Me featuring Chris Robinson! (i'm a huge  Black Crowes fan)

Together Again V- This is another compilation that has their '95 Atlanta performance of Achilles Last Stand and their '95 New Orleans performance of House of the Rising Sun/Good Times Bad Times!

Simple Truth- This is the excellent sounding broadcast of their '95 San Jose stop!

Presence Now- This is their '95 Toronto show that includes their RnRHOF set!

Two Swans on a Century Lake- This is one of my favorites on the Real Dragon label. It contains the entire '96 Nagoya, Japan show as well as some other Japanese rarities, their one-off performance of Ten Years Gone and a stunning performance of The Rain Song in which Jimmy plays the beginning twice over! All in perfect sound!

OOH LA LA- This is their '98 Paris broadcast. Excellent sound and notable for it's almost complete performance of We're Gonna Groove!

L'evolution De Led Zeppelin Continue- These CD sets have two of my favorite shows. The first being their '98 broadcast from New Orleans, excellent sound and a fantastic performance!  The second is the '98 ULU London show where they do Trampled Underfoot and Night Flight!

Honorable mention: Together Again VII- This is their '96 Rio De Janeiro show. This has, IMO, THE greatest version of SIBLY ever played by Page!

• 3 weeks later...

One of my faves is 10-26 or 10-27 95' at MSG, the last show with Cure guitarist on board. Another is NO 98' with

an unbelievable version of HMMT. Page's solo is just blazing, even matching early versions and the bow solo is

almost more unworldly than Lucifer Rising. Sometimes even with Zep Page ended up disjointed or ineffectual

with the bow. Here and in other 98' shows the bow solos are spectacular and malevolent.

• 1 month later...
On 12/29/2015 at 10:57 AM, godzilla777 said:

Started collecting Page & Plant shows. They are actually pretty good performances. Any recommendations for some of the better boots?

I have yet to see even a posted picture of a vinyl boot from the WIC tour. I'm hoping someone on our board has one, or at least a picture of one they could post, if so, thanks in advance.

Edited by luvlz2

On January 22, 2016 at 11:34 PM, Mithril46 said:

One of my faves is 10-26 or 10-27 95' at MSG, the last show with Cure guitarist on board. Another is NO 98' with

an unbelievable version of HMMT. Page's solo is just blazing, even matching early versions and the bow solo is

almost more unworldly than Lucifer Rising. Sometimes even with Zep Page ended up disjointed or ineffectual

with the bow. Here and in other 98' shows the bow solos are spectacular and malevolent.

So, how would one get a hold of a good quality boot of this show? IMO 98' P&P showed Page at the zenith of his prowess as a guitarist. I would love to have this show.

1 hour ago, IpMan said:

So, how would one get a hold of a good quality boot of this show? IMO 98' P&P showed Page at the zenith of his prowess as a guitarist. I would love to have this show.

I'm sending you a PM lpMan.

On 1/22/2016 at 11:34 PM, Mithril46 said:

Another is NO 98' with

That was broadcast on FM radio by the Superstar Concert Series,  I still have the cassette I recorded it with, hot show.

Edited by luvlz2

What's strange about that 98' tour is how easily some dismiss it. Of course the criticism is no Jonesy or Bonzo.

But many who pan it, seriously , really sound like they never heard it in the first place. Besides many other

perks from these shows, I dare say that Page is actually playing more consistently and effectively than a lot

of Zep shows.95' was more uneven, definetly some great shows, but especially the first leg of the tour, some

weak spots for Page.

• 2 months later...

The 10 show run in Japan '96. has just about everything you'd want to hear them play that they never played live with Zep. Great run of 10 shows . There is a boxed set in existence but I ripped mine from the net. Fukuoka ( spelled like it's pronounced) on the 2/20 was the last show of that run. But Budokan  2/8 & 2/9 they do Tea For One and it's played from the gut .

The ' 98 shows mentioned previously is when jimmy REALLY had his chops back. I favor them because of the live stuff from Clarksdale. The song are really given life and Jimmy DOES NOT sound so buried at all , in fact it's quite the opposite. He lets it rip and his sound is in your face . No mistaking it's Jimmy Page.

'95 has some great shows too Glastonbury has an incredible Kashmir with an excellent orchestra and If I'm not mistaking they do Break On Through , a full version. I didn't know it was a pro recording but it makes sense since the orchestra sounds incredible. And of course the Forum Show. An excellent Hey Hey What Can I Do and a some of the best acoustic stuff since 75. It also has Shake My Tree , it has to be one of the few recordings out there. I believe the tour was cancelled because the album was so poorly received.

Irvine is one of two shows I did not rip from the net. It is very high quality video (maybe not Blu-Ray). I later ripped the audio from the net later on. It was kick seeing jimmy paying so fluidly and he would just keep getting better with each tour. And he wielded that bow like a maestro. 

This would have been the time to get JPJ and Jr. on the road . Robert and Jimmy  were clearly having fun and I believe those 3 or 4 years were Jimmy's  swan song. They played everything and especially in 98 Jimmy was in early Zep form. The songs had some acoustic variations but the full electric stuff was spectacular.  1998 was a great tour . You really can't miss with the shows that are out there. There is a guy who has a you tube channel that enhanced a bunch of the shows and another channel where the do some very good enhancements on a ton of the material.

Great Stuff. Easy to find. Except for that boxed set from Japan 96. I REALLY want that collection. Gold box looks very high quality. 

I would love for Jimmy to remaster 6 discs worth of songs  from those three years. No Chop Suey just the best songs of each tour .  That would cap his legacy perfectly.

You know over the span I mentioned not even a hint of Stairway. Why was Robert so adverse to playing it ? I could speculate but does anyone really know ?

• 5 months later...
On 04/01/2016 at 10:38 AM, Paul said:

I have several P/P shows, but here are some of my favorites for tracklisting and sound:

Together Again- This has several things from P/P from '88-'94 including a version of You Shook Me featuring Chris Robinson! (i'm a huge  Black Crowes fan)

Together Again V- This is another compilation that has their '95 Atlanta performance of Achilles Last Stand and their '95 New Orleans performance of House of the Rising Sun/Good Times Bad Times!

Simple Truth- This is the excellent sounding broadcast of their '95 San Jose stop!

Presence Now- This is their '95 Toronto show that includes their RnRHOF set!

Two Swans on a Century Lake- This is one of my favorites on the Real Dragon label. It contains the entire '96 Nagoya, Japan show as well as some other Japanese rarities, their one-off performance of Ten Years Gone and a stunning performance of The Rain Song in which Jimmy plays the beginning twice over! All in perfect sound!

OOH LA LA- This is their '98 Paris broadcast. Excellent sound and notable for it's almost complete performance of We're Gonna Groove!

L'evolution De Led Zeppelin Continue- These CD sets have two of my favorite shows. The first being their '98 broadcast from New Orleans, excellent sound and a fantastic performance!  The second is the '98 ULU London show where they do Trampled Underfoot and Night Flight!

Honorable mention: Together Again VII- This is their '96 Rio De Janeiro show. This has, IMO, THE greatest version of SIBLY ever played by Page!

Anyone know where I could get the '98 ULU London show? 

4 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Thanks steve. How about a link to an actual boot? Anyone? 

I listened to the Paris La Cigalle gig the other day. Jimmys playing blew me away. NQ in particular is phenomenal. And the WIC material is really brought to life

On 30/12/2015 at 4:19 AM, kingzoso said:

This is not the complete show but this is Page and Plant playing "Tea for One" in Tokyo on February 13, 1996:

I've just watched all the Tea For One clips on you tube and think this is probably the best of the four or five. or maybe the 17/2/96 which is very laid back but has some dodgy camera work, though the audio is fine.

Page's tone and playing are sweet as molasses, though being British I've never actually tried molasses