Best Page & Plant boot

godzilla777

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 12/29/2015 at 9:29 PM, tmtomh said:

I'm much better versed on the audio than the video. Some recommendations for audio:

1. 1995 04 01 Auburn Hills (Detroit) - great-sounding multitrack mixdown exists of about five of the songs from this show
  2. 1995 05 19/20 Oakland/San Jose - very nice 1995 performances. 5 19 is thought to be a slightly better performance and exists in a fantastic sounding audience recording. 5 20 exists in a similarly good-sounding AUD, as well as a mono soundboard - but by far the best is a Westwood One source for an FM broadcast. Only covers 11 of the songs, but by far the best-sounding, fantastic
  3. 1995 06 25 Glastonbury - a shorter, festival set, but sounds great, and kicks ass. Either a professional mix or a soundboard, I forget which. The best-sounding version I've heard is from a DVD that includes video.
  4. 1995 09 29 Albuquerque/10 03 Irvine Meadows - Two great shows in the Western US. I think many fans prefer 9 29, but I favor 10 03, partially because of the sound.
  5. 1996 02 13, 15 and 17 Japan - Fantastic Japan run, these are the three shows that exist in SBD quality. These shows include the aforementioned Tea for One performance, as well as a stupendous version of The Rain Song. My favorite is the final show on the 17th, but all three are great. They are available in excellent, though very slightly dry, soundboard quality - but my favorites are fan-made soundboard-audience matrix versions. You can't go wrong with these three dates in virtually any format.
  6. 1998 03 25 Shepherd's Bush Empire (London) - opening show of the 1998 tour. Most folks feel the later shows on this tour are better, and it's true that Page was in his best form since 1973 during the later '98 shows. But this one is still great IMHO, and available in very good sound quality. In fact, three tracks are available in full official-release quality on the Japanese CD max-single of "Shining in the Light." The sound quality is phenemonal.
  7. 1998 03 30 Paris - an FM radio source of a very energetic show. Source is a bit compressed (because it's an off the air recording and FM stations always use compressors), but IMHO well worth it.
  8. 1998 08 23 Cologne - a festival performance but pretty much a full-length set. Also available in video. Great sounding soundboard - not official release quality but close. Fantastic performance - this is the show most folks point to when they argue that late 1998 saw Page playing his best guitar in 25 years.
  9. 1998 09 23 Las Vegas - I would rank this just below Cologne in performance and sound quality, but still excellent.
  10. 1998 10 01 New Orleans - I can't remember if this is an FM broadcast recording or a pre-FM soundboard. But it's a great, and somewhat overlooked, show. There are a couple of versions of this (based on different FM recordings I guess), and some are much duller sounding than others. The best-sounding one is very good indeed.
  11. 1998 12 10 Paris - a very brief set as part of an Amnesty International benefit show, and P & P's last show. There's an official DVD, and the soundtrack is excellent sonically. I think their mini-set from this show is great.

If I had to pick the top one from each year, I guess I'd choose 1995 10 03 Irvine Meadows; 1996 02 17 Japan; and 1998 8 23 Cologne.

Hope this helps!

I've gotten back into sharing live torrents and found the 1996-02-17 Nagoya, Japan show. It's a matrix (SBD-AUD mix). The sound is superb and holy F', Pagey? He's gotta be kidding with that solo on Custard Pie.😲 Granted it was over a decade earlier, but this blows away the 02 show, just FYI in case anyone is wondering if it's worth digging into these shows. (It is. 🙂

• 4 months later...
9 hours ago, AchillesLastBand said:

I'm not an expert, but 1996-02-17 - Century Hall, Nagoya, JP is STELLAR. The very popular '98 New Orleans show is for me unfortunately ruined by sound quality. Swishy drums.

ALB

Don’t really listen to NO. But if you haven’t heard them, you should check out the Vegas and Rockplast (?) 98 shows. 

In any case, better than when I saw them in 98 in Manchester. 

On 6/26/2021 at 7:25 AM, luvlz2 said:

Not heard this boot before, so thanks for posting. Really enjoyed it and the matrix is brilliant. Does anyone happen to know if there is a good matrix of the 15/2/96 Osaka show, the night they played ten years gone? 

• 1 year later...

Bringing this old thread back as I haven't seen too much love given to the November shows from this tour. The final leg in November has some of Page's best playing of the entire year imho, as well as Robert being in fantastic form on most nights. You really can't go wrong with any 98 show from this month. Some personal favorites:

Erfurt 11-16, energy from the crowd is through the roof, band and crowd feeding off each other, just a tremendous show. The taper and his buddy are quite vocal and add to the fun. He's like a German Artie, if you can imagine that.

Munich, 11-23, an unbelievable BIGLY solo from Page

Toulon, 11-28, Plant is having one of his best nights, he just sounds fantastic here. A lot of nice moments between him and Page throughout the performance.

Oberhausen, 12-2, probably my favorite of the 98 shows. Incredible vibe and knockout versions of every song. Killer crowd too, they come back for 3 encores.   

If anyone reading this has a copy of the Montpellier 11-25 show, please let me know. To my knowledge, there is nothing out there in bootleg land for this show. But someone could have taped it and just never put it online.

Update: recently discovered Gent 12-1 (after extensive searching, this is the final boot from Nov/Dec leg I hadn't heard yet) and adding it to the list. An absolutely incredible show - great energy/crowd and Jimmy playing at his peak for this era. I need to give this one more time as it's new to me, but first impression is I like it even more than Oberhausen.

• 3 months later...

Are there any good websites devoted to these Page & Plant late 1990's years? There are so many unique Zeppelin websites, There must be a few sites that dive deep into these concerts. I'm most hoping to see info on the 1995 Tour, but the other two are also needed.  Actual bootleg archives would be the best, but even write ups, stories, set lists, etc. Something with excellent attention to detail like The Garden Tapes would be amazing...but maybe not that detailed, lol.

On 4/13/2023 at 2:12 PM, 1975NQ said:

If anyone reading this has a copy of the Montpellier 11-25 show, please let me know. To my knowledge, there is nothing out there in bootleg land for this show. But someone could have taped it and just never put it online.

These are the only Page/Plant performances that do not circulate:

1998.05.27 North Charleston, South Carolina USA (North Charleston Coliseum) *Recording exists, owner will not circulate*

1998.08.06 Kenmare, Ireland (Dromquinna Manor)  *Impromptu performance at Tom Kenny's wedding - 5 songs*

1998.11.12 Zagreb, Croatia (Mala dvorana Doma sportova)

1998.11.25 Montpellier, France (Zénith Sud)

All the rest of the performances (216, I think) are out there.

On 10/4/2017 at 8:19 AM, Bong-Man said:

This one gets my vote, but of course I'm prejudiced.  I've always told people this was the best concert I've ever seen.  Interesting enough, out of only 7 comments, 3 people agree with me !  As mentioned by one person, the buzz in the parking lot after the show is something I will never forget.  Jimmy's obviously feeling good and quite animated on the stage.  Cracks me up when he's stomping his leg during Heartbreaker.  Don't hurt yourself !

I've never had this level of post concert buzz in the parking lot right after a show. Sept 19, 1998 in LA was the only show I've ever been able to make it to and I'll never forget it. The stairway teaser at the end of BIGLY...I was beside myself for a sec, as I thought they were actually gonna play it.  Such an unreal night and unreal buzz...and I was stone cold sober!

On 7/28/2023 at 1:54 PM, HollywoodBowl1998 said:

I've never had this level of post concert buzz in the parking lot right after a show. Sept 19, 1998 in LA was the only show I've ever been able to make it to and I'll never forget it. The stairway teaser at the end of BIGLY...I was beside myself for a sec, as I thought they were actually gonna play it.  Such an unreal night and unreal buzz...and I was stone cold sober!

:you_rock: Cool man! I saw them a few day after you on the 24th in Phoenix and I'll never forget it either!

On 4/15/2023 at 3:11 AM, 1975NQ said:

Update: recently discovered Gent 12-1 (after extensive searching, this is the final boot from Nov/Dec leg I hadn't heard yet) and adding it to the list. An absolutely incredible show - great energy/crowd and Jimmy playing at his peak for this era. I need to give this one more time as it's new to me, but first impression is I like it even more than Oberhausen.

Any idea where I can get hold of the Gent and Oberhausen recordings? 

14 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

:you_rock: Cool man! I saw them a few day after you on the 24th in Phoenix and I'll never forget it either!

Nice! Really cool to learn, after reading this thread, that they kept getting better and better and so these later shows were tight. I recall thoroughly enjoying it, but didn't fully realize that they were really peaking on this tour. I'm from Canada, so I actually had to travel to LA to see it.  Such a good time, I'll never forget it!

On 7/24/2023 at 5:58 AM, SteveAJones said:

I think we can agree all must exist, they're just not circulating. Page/Plant coming to Croatia was historic. There must be at least one person who taped.

1998.05.27 North Charleston, South Carolina USA (North Charleston Coliseum) *Recording exists, owner will not circulate*

I attended the Charleston, SC 5/27,1998 concert and saw two tapers (video) in the stands as well as pro videographers up front. Lili Haydn (violinist) opened for P&P walking into everywhere tour. Hopefully, they’ll finally release it one day. Incredible show. 

R😎

On 7/31/2023 at 9:01 PM, 1975NQ said:

I've been listening to them off YT, Conneyfogle channel

I was there, together with my friend Jan, The pics from this show  on  YT are mine , BTW (not that I remember Conneyfogle asked permission to use them 🤔).  Indeed a great show, although the acoustics of Flanders expo were horrible (the hall isn't used for concerts anymore). 

Jan managed to find a VHS boot of the show, but unfortunately I never digitised that tape 

Edited by duckman

2 hours ago, duckman said:

I was there, together with my friend Jan, The pics from this show  on  YT are mine , BTW (not that I remember Conneyfogle asked permission to use them 🤔).  Indeed a great show, although the acoustics of Flanders expo were horrible (the hall isn't used for concerts anymore). 

Jan managed to find a VHS boot of the show, but unfortunately I never digitised that tape 

The acoustics/sound at the arena in Manchester in England ruined the gig for me. It was terrible 

4 hours ago, duckman said:

Very cool, and those are great pics. That sucks about the acoustics, but the boot is very listenable at least.

I caught them in Mountain View for the 98 tour. The crowd kinda sucked that night. I remember turning to my gf at the time and saying "what is wrong with these people?". In my mind, what you give is what you get with live performances. The crowd had high energy at the beginning but kinda petered out after the acoustic section. I could also tell Plant was not super enthused to be there that night, but it was still a great performance.

Edited by 1975NQ