1977 Close Up Behind John Bonham Drums Pic's

Bail Tekey

Hi All,

I have been searching for years to find a picture of John Bonham's 1977 drum kit (Ludwig Stainless Steel) taken from behind the kit, maybe if one were standing near the gong and taking the picture toward the audience.

There is a very similar picture in the Good Times Bad Times Zeppelin book of a shot like this, but of his Amber Vistilite Kit. I will try and find the image and post.

The closest I found have found is the image below, however I am  looking for one without John, and possibly a higher res?

Thanks all!

Mike

6-14-77---001.jpg

Edited by Bail Tekey

• 2 months later...

Jesus Christ, you look at the setup and it seems like there is very little there yet the sounds...the SOUNDS! You take a player like Neal Peart with a monster kit and it makes you think what a talent Bonham was to do so much with so little by comparison.

• 2 weeks later...

I have never seen any good shots taken behind Bonham's kit either. I have many taken beside or slightly above his kits but none taken behind him. Usually only roadies and photographers who were given specific permission to photograph the band in concert would have access directly behind him I would think. I also would love to have more photos from this angle. 

• 2 months later...

Hi all, another pic......this is probably the last one I have ever seen,

fello Bonzo fanatics.....whom ever you are....please, Iam down on my knees....post a 77' stainless steel shot from behind the kit, for us!!!!!!

there has to be one out there......?

image.jpeg

On 3/8/2016 at 6:43 PM, Bail Tekey said:

Here is a 1973 - 1975 behind the drum kit perspective.....

Please!!!!! Anyone have a 1977, 1979, or 1980 view of the stainless Steel kit from this angle????

1545124_10202738513721367_790659283_n.jpg

I can't tell if anything is obscured, but is Bonham really using a single snare drum in that photo?

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 11:59 PM, Bail Tekey said:

Hi all, another pic......this is probably the last one I have ever seen,

fello Bonzo fanatics.....whom ever you are....please, Iam down on my knees....post a 77' stainless steel shot from behind the kit, for us!!!!!!

there has to be one out there......?

[snip]

Note the Giant Beat Ride alongside the 2002 Crash/Sound Edge Hi Hats.

• 1 month later...
On 6/22/2016 at 7:24 AM, Bail Tekey said:

From behind The Green Sparkle

IMG_4211-GS.jpg

Really surprised to see a clear bass drum batter side head on the green sparkle kit! The mounted tom head looks clear too. I assumed he always had coated heads before he used the vistalites. Interesting...great shot!

• 3 months later...
On 3/8/2016 at 1:43 PM, Bail Tekey said:

Here is a 1973 - 1975 behind the drum kit perspective.....

Please!!!!! Anyone have a 1977, 1979, or 1980 view of the stainless Steel kit from this angle????

1545124_10202738513721367_790659283_n.jpg

any idea what venue this is?? i love shots like these when you can see the arena, like the photos from the forum in 1970

On 12/9/2016 at 1:27 PM, corduroyg said:

any idea what venue this is?? i love shots like these when you can see the arena, like the photos from the forum in 1970

Wish I could make out the print on the scoreboard. Pretty sure that's from 75, not 73. 

Edited by porgie66

Yes the drums look basic. All the equipment back in the day was that. Well compared to now anyway. Makes you realise how talented they are. Imagine if they had all the techno stuff. Would it be even better ?. I say no. They are exceptional and why change. Obviously as the years went on things were changing. Right up to the big one at the O2. All the Legend performers could do it without anything. Led Zepp, Beatles. All sound perfect to this very day. The pics look amazing with the sea of faces/fans looking on. Lucky people.

• 3 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 3:41 PM, porgie66 said:

Really surprised to see a clear bass drum batter side head on the green sparkle kit! The mounted tom head looks clear too. I assumed he always had coated heads before he used the vistalites. Interesting...great shot!

I don't think any of the heads are clear, the bass drum symbol is shining through to the beater head & the tom head is definitely coated, it's the shadow of the microphone you are seeing there.

Love the photographs in this thread, never seen some of them before.

1 hour ago, Mook said:

I don't think any of the heads are clear, the bass drum symbol is shining through to the beater head & the tom head is definitely coated, it's the shadow of the microphone you are seeing there.

Love the photographs in this thread, never seen some of them before.

I have to disagree with you there. That bass drum head is definitely clear. No way you'd see that much detail through a coated head. You can also clearly see the felt strip at the bottom. The tom also looks too smooth and reflective to be white coated. That looks like a reflection of the mic, not a shadow. Wondering about those floor toms. 

1 hour ago, sam_webmaster said:

Very cool shot! A revelation to see a black dot batter side head on the bass drum with the steel kit. Also, like earlier green sparkle kit, surprised to see a clear head on the back. I always assumed coated heads all around. Love these pics from behind his kit. 

1 hour ago, porgie66 said:

I have to disagree with you there. That bass drum head is definitely clear. No way you'd see that much detail through a coated head. You can also clearly see the felt strip at the bottom. The tom also looks too smooth and reflective to be white coated. That looks like a reflection of the mic, not a shadow. Wondering about those floor toms. 

Having looked again, you are right about the bass drum head, it's clear, the angle was throwing me - apologies.

The heads on the toms are coated though, I'm certain of that.