Slate Chocolate Marble
Slate Chocolate Marble

Led Zeppelin Official Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Bail Tekey

1977 Close Up Behind John Bonham Drums Pic's

39 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Mook said:

Having looked again, you are right about the bass drum head, it's clear, the angle was throwing me - apologies.

The heads on the toms are coated though, I'm certain of that.

Haha, we are really getting into geeked out minutiae here but ...look at the gloss on that 14 inch tom head, its too shiny to be a coated head IMO. It has a different texture look than the snare head. I wish there were more pics of the kit from back or above. Maybe he was experimenting at this time, just before the loud Vistalites arrived. The clear heads offer more in terms of projection, less warmth. Could be?!

3 hours ago, porgie66 said:

Haha, we are really getting into geeked out minutiae here but ...look at the gloss on that 14 inch tom head, its too shiny to be a coated head IMO. It has a different texture look than the snare head. I wish there were more pics of the kit from back or above. Maybe he was experimenting at this time, just before the loud Vistalites arrived. The clear heads offer more in terms of projection, less warmth. Could be?!

Yeah, I don't think we can really get to the bottom of it without more pictures. I'm still in shock about the clear head on the bass drum to be honest.

Be great to see more of these though, love them & you can really get a feel for what it must've been like to have played to those crowds.

This doesn't prove anything as it's from a different gig but you can see he's using coated heads on his toms here...

c60b00549df9a47ca545f5c99a555a1c.jpg

15 minutes ago, Mook said:

This doesn't prove anything as it's from a different gig but you can see he's using coated heads on his toms here...

c60b00549df9a47ca545f5c99a555a1c.jpg

Yes, the floor toms...but I think there is another shot where you can clearly see the snare and possibly tom head are clear. Also, this was taken in Australia, over a year before the other pic from Paris. If I find that pic I will post it.

Another couple of interesting ones...

161307359.jpg

1249.jpg

15 hours ago, Mook said:

Another couple of interesting ones...

161307359.jpg

1249.jpg

Hmm, that looks like a clear head on the snare in the pic with the goofy mask. Is that Newcastle 72?? It's a different color and texture than the tom head and it looks like you can see the bottom edge of the drum though it, even part of the snare wires. 

21 minutes ago, porgie66 said:

Hmm, that looks like a clear head on the snare in the pic with the goofy mask. Is that Newcastle 72?? It's a different color and texture than the tom head and it looks like you can see the bottom edge of the drum though it, even part of the snare wires. 

I'm really not sure about the snare head at all.

The person who wrote the website below appears to agree with you about the clear tom head on the earlier picture although again, I remain unconvinced.

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsle4l5/johnbonhamdrums/index2.html

18 minutes ago, porgie66 said:

Summon the time machine!! 😋

Ha ha, if we had a time machine I reckon we'd have so much fun enjoying the music that the drum heads would be the last thing on our minds.

One interesting thing I read was an interview with Mick Hinton saying they had spare drums by the stage so if Bonham ever broke a head they would simply replace that drum as quickly as they could in between songs, I suppose it makes sense really but I don't think he broke that many heads as he hit the drums so sweetly.

1 hour ago, Mook said:

Ha ha, if we had a time machine I reckon we'd have so much fun enjoying the music that the drum heads would be the last thing on our minds.

One interesting thing I read was an interview with Mick Hinton saying they had spare drums by the stage so if Bonham ever broke a head they would simply replace that drum as quickly as they could in between songs, I suppose it makes sense really but I don't think he broke that many heads as he hit the drums so sweetly.

Indeed!! 

Yes, I read that too. You can see the spare snare on the stage in some photos. There's a show , Leicester 71 , where Bonzo breaks his bass drum head on Celebration Day. 

32 minutes ago, porgie66 said:

Indeed!! 

Yes, I read that too. You can see the spare snare on the stage in some photos. There's a show , Leicester 71 , where Bonzo breaks his bass drum head on Celebration Day. 

Yeah, Hinton did say that he went through a few bass drum heads as the beater would fly off his pedal & the stick would go right through the head.

From my own experience of playing drums, that's the worst thing that can happen & you would be hoping the roadie could sort it out quickly (not that I ever had a roadie myself).

And the 'Always There' felt strip on the batter!!!!

Posted (edited)

Dudes dudes dudes. I had no idea John Bonhams stainless '77 kit was reproduced by Ludwig. If I ever buy another kit thats gonna be the one. I'll find one, somehow, someway! 

ssteel_reissue.jpg

cool as fuck

Edited by Dirty Work