R.I.P David Bowie

Reggie29

RIP Starman. IMO deserving of a thread, as would be Page or Plant or Paul McCartney. Listening to Space Oddity... as sad as it is, its hard to be sad considering how much great music he gave the world.

Agree with what Jimmy said on twitter, "Bowie was an innovator, a unique artist with a vision that changed the face of popular music." Well said.

15 hours ago, SuperDave said:

Great choices on the vids Strider and especially the last two of 3 as two of my favorite Bowie songs with Panic and TVC15 as two of his best.  Unfortunately, with someone of his stature it always shoots up the sales of their work as it takes their death to do this!  I just think people are just reminiscing about them and making them think how important a particular artist was to them!  I too am thinking about this and want to get some of his earlier releases!

Good luck on that. I went to the record store after work yesterday to get the new album and not only were they sold out of "Blackstar" but ALL the Bowie vinyl section was wiped out...not a single Bowie album was left!!! Even the Bowie CDs, new and used, were fairly depleted. Your only choice of Bowie cds left were "Pin-Ups", "Never Let Me Down", and "Tin Machine". :blink:

They said hopefully the new album would be back in stock by Wednesday.

4 hours ago, Strider said:

Flowers & Stardust tributes for David Bowie in Hollywood.

20160112_085900.thumb.jpg.2ea0cd327efeec

That is awesome.. Nice picture Strider. Someone even left him a half gallon of milk. The tributes have been pouring in from everywhere.  

This morning, WZLX in Boston played Under Pressure with the vocals isolated, Freddie Mercury and David Bowie at their best. I swear I got choked up. Two of the best perfectly complimenting each other. It almost seems like DB followed FM's lead and said goodbye through his music. The last 3 Queen albums were loaded with powerful messages.

I've seen a lot of my musical heroes live, including PP and J, Zappa, Buddy Rich etc.. and have been blown away by many, but the only one that I truly remember being in awe of was David Bowie... I can't explain it but I remember thinking "holy `•√Π that's Bowie up there"!

David Bowie sounds very similar to Led Zeppelin, to me. Most of the time. Just as unique. I prefer Zeppelin, but for what i see as a one man gig, gotta give him credit.

Hang On To Yourself, Santa Monica '72, sounds like Nirvana. First documented punk bro. Great gig to listen to.

9 hours ago, Strider said:

Good luck on that. I went to the record store after work yesterday to get the new album and not only were they sold out of "Blackstar" but ALL the Bowie vinyl section was wiped out...not a single Bowie album was left!!! Even the Bowie CDs, new and used, were fairly depleted. Your only choice of Bowie cds left were "Pin-Ups", "Never Let Me Down", and "Tin Machine". :blink:

They said hopefully the new album would be back in stock by Wednesday.

I'm not surprised in any way as how big and influential of an artist David Bowie was as one of the most diversified and creative ever.  This being along the leagues of The Beatles, Dylan and Led Zeppelin of course!  I don't know who I could also put in this league,,, Hendrix, The Rolling Stones (obviously), Elvis (of course), perhaps a few other artists, but not many!  This was unexpected as we were left in the dark and David's health was meant to be private, but sent a shock wave through me when I heard about it Saturday morning!  Just can't comprehend this at this point!  I'm sorry all!!!

15 hours ago, Ddladner said:

Wow!  What a beautiful tribute!  That one moved me to tears.

That was fun to watch!

Thanks to both of you for sharing. :) 

Nice version but I like this one better....not that it matters, but enjoy anyway!

My all-time favourite album by David Bowie. Yes, I love The Man Who Sold The World, even more than albums such as Space Oddity and The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars. It is dark, edgy and intense, with plenty of guitar riffs! Just the way I like it! B) 

9 hours ago, SuperDave said:

Nice version but I like this one better....not that it matters, but enjoy anyway!

A very nice version, indeed, SuperDave, thanks for sharing.  As a tribute to David Bowie, and in light of the mood over the last couple of days, the version that luvlz2 posted, with beautiful dynamics and complexity, perfectly match my feelings.  I hear so much sorrow and respect coming through the keys, simply beautiful.  

I have really enjoyed seeing all of the tributes posted here and on FB.  Very touching.

9 hours ago, SozoZoso said:

I have literally came across this video, utterly spine tingling

I guess you haven't read through this thread, for I posted this exact same clip yesterday.

Two of my favourite musicians together, sadly now deceased...David Bowie & Lou Reed. Two guys whose influence is incalculable.

But at least they're together again in the afterlife...I'd like to think they're jamming together somewhere in the cosmos.

I wasn't a big Bowie fan back in the day.  I liked a few of his songs during the 1970's but his various gimmicks turned me off.  I was in my thirties when I realized what I had considered "gimmicks" when I was in my teens was actually performance art.  I didn't really start appreciating him until the 1990's.  His contributions to music and popular culture were enormous.

23 hours ago, Strider said:

I guess you haven't read through this thread, for I posted this exact same clip yesterday.

Two of my favourite musicians together, sadly now deceased...David Bowie & Lou Reed. Two guys whose influence is incalculable.

But at least they're together again in the afterlife...I'd like to think they're jamming together somewhere in the cosmos.

Sorry Strider, you are right....I tend to quickly flick through here without reading all the other bits

Archived