What was a LZ concert like in the 70s?

ZepFan73

Hi Everyone,

I am a die-hard Led Zeppelin fan in my early thirties. Like almost everyone else on this forum, I dream of the prospect of actually being able to see my favorite band perform live at least once before I depart this Earth. I am clearly not old enough to have seen Led Zeppelin perform in concert in the 70s, but I was hoping others who did see them would share their experiences.

When I see those grungy, long-haired 70s teens in the audience at Madison Square Garden in "The Song Remains the Same," I get jealous. What I wouldn't do for a time machine to take me back to 1973 (the year of my birth) with a Led Zeppelin concert ticket in hand! For those of you who were teens back in the 70s and saw Led Zeppelin in concert, please tell me what you remember most about the experience. Thanks for humoring me!

If you'll just scroll down a bit, there a 144 responses addressing that exact thing. Take a look around this forum, and a few others here...and you'll find enough to read to keep you busy for awhile.

Look for 'who's seen Zep before 1980'..or something like that...plus if you look in the 'timeline' section of this site, you'll find more experiences written about.

RIF

Hi Everyone,

I am a die-hard Led Zeppelin fan in my early thirties. Like almost everyone else on this forum, I dream of the prospect of actually being able to see my favorite band perform live at least once before I depart this Earth. I am clearly not old enough to have seen Led Zeppelin perform in concert in the 70s, but I was hoping others who did see them would share their experiences.

When I see those grungy, long-haired 70s teens in the audience at Madison Square Garden in "The Song Remains the Same," I get jealous. What I wouldn't do for a time machine to take me back to 1973 (the year of my birth) with a Led Zeppelin concert ticket in hand! For those of you who were teens back in the 70s and saw Led Zeppelin in concert, please tell me what you remember most about the experience. Thanks for humoring me!

Having a good time; hearing Whole Lotta Love the first time live in concert before it was released on vinyl; looking out my window and seeing a Houses of the Holy billboard; looking up and seeing Robert Plant next to me; seeing a guy in a white dragon suit in the hotel lobby; concert after concert that totally rocked and so on.

I must tell you that music was far better in the 70s than now. Concerts were better, better quality bands like Zed Zeppelin, the likes of which will never be equaled in my opinion. I used to envy those that were teens in the 50;s for the simple and fun way of life they had. the old cars and the dances, etc. Like in the movie American Graffitti. But I believe that rock music peaked in the 70s. Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd and I will include the Beatles even though they actually broke up in 70. Bands of this caliber have never been touched in the last 25-30 years. And music isnt like technology, it is art. The great composers of the Rennisance are still big today. Led Zepp and the Beatles have passed the test of time. Alot of these fly by night bands of today will not. If you have a good set of speakers you can catch the same sound we did in all its glory. I hope your dream of seeing Zeppelin comes true!

If you know where to look for it I'd say that there just as much great music to be found beyond the 70's, the difference for me is that the standard of live shows seems to have declined alot. The impression I get is that back in the 70's the likes of Zep and Floyd valued there live performance just as much as the quality of there albums. Tracks were rearranged for concerts and generally there was an effort to take things "to the next level" live. Maybe it was MTV or the post punk idea that the press was the public face of the band but the amount of bands who put on a good live show from the 80's onwards definately declined.

Archived