Phish butchers The Ocean

Dirty Work

Phish should have quit while they were ahead back in 2003-2004. They suck these days. They have some really OK live releases, Amsterdam '97, Hampton Winston Salem '97, Ventura '97 and '98, and most of their releases from 1997 2000 and 2003 are decent listens IMO. But this is BAD. Learn the f**king song. And leave No Quarter alone. At least they are promoting a good band to their fans. :wacko:

Well I certainly agree in some respects, but they really do have a bit of a history with train wreck covers and playing a

cover decent up to a certain point and then chaos. Agreed that their most recent live stuff is a far cry from the 90's etc.

glory days. But this happend to all bands where they simply play together less and less. And although Trey still plays

very well, wasn't he found with needles and some heavy drugs a while back ?? Not good. Anyone, unless they have 

diabetes or some totally valid reason for having a syringe, there's no way  there's some mixup. Zep and the Dead fell

into some of the same morass as Phish, although the Dead kept playing but Jerry IMO was really declining since the

80's. Some may disagree. As well Trey loves Zep but his style is simply not volcanic enough to play Zep properly.

He was found with pounds of oxycodone and hydrocodone pills, as well as hash and possibly heroin. I saw him once, in 2006 (which I thought was closer to Band of Gypsys than Phish) his band was actually very impressive and he played an acoustic set mid-show, which was the highlight for me. Months later he was busted, but I can relate. Those types of things really get your improvisational juices flowing, which I admit is why I was once hooked on them at one point.

He played better before he was busted, but would nod off completely mid-solo almost every other night, every other song. From a listening perspective.

They do Fire and Izabella just fine, the Ocean and No Quarter should be as difficult as they make it look.

FWIW Page M, who plays the keys in Phish, has never had a great voice, but its just high enough to do Zeppelin. At least they're tipping their hats to the best band of all time, and promoting Zeppelin. Not that Zeppelin needs it, but maybe it will show Phish fans that Phish isn't the greatest band of all time like they all say so often.

Just should have listened to TSRTS No Quarter and The Ocean a few times before playing it to tens of thousands. They sure knew Jimi's songs like the back of their hand, don't see why they wouldn't with Zeppelin.

Honestly, I think a long 25+ minute jam, lets say Ghost or Tweezer or Down with Disease, makes great background music. But I never listen to them like I do with Zeppelin, via headphones in the car driving or when flying etc. Not anymore. Too repetitive and predictable to be something I give my full attention to.

It was ok. Not great or terrible. They probably decided to play it that day or even that minute because they were right in front of the ocean. If it was a regular song in the set, it would be a different story, but for what it was, not bad.. The drummer pulled it off. 

Interesting that the Ocean is considered hard to play. I guess for some it's hard to get Page's feel, but the solo is 

hardly difficult, the rest of the song is easy.. NQ the song too is not hard, but yeah, getting the solo like in TSRTS, a

project. Some fans think that because Trey can play very complex Zappa and prog type stuff that anything technically

below that should be a piece of cake. Well, music just doesn't work like that. Just listen to most of the greatest blues

players, who can make a whole universe out of 5 basic notes(well, including all the bending, vibrato, etc.).

2 hours ago, Dirty Work said:

I like how The Hotel has the same thread, in their Air Above the Din, has it titled "First Time Phish Plays Zeppelin!!!"

So factually incorrect it makes me sad.

^_^

:lol:

:P

Interesting how people speak badly about Zeppelin.com and then come over here to the "kiddie table" to report.  Not singling you out, just making an observation of conversations I've read over there that have transferred over here and the same usernames/personalities  involved. 

I have a tape of them doing GTBT from years ago, not so great - IMO.

34 minutes ago, Dirty Work said:

Kiddie Table? I'll take any kiddie table over Auschwitz music forum dot com. Shoot me. :angry:

Didn't mean to stir up any personal emotions, just making an observation.  If you've been banned 10 times, why would you continue on where you're not wanted?  I've always wondered that about forum members.

Just thought die hard Zeppelin fans were about Zeppelin i guess. Crosstown Torrents is a very friendly place, for example. Quiet, so I guess that could be one thing to consider. I guess the elite status of being a member on a great site causes people to join again, hell if i care anyways. Just enjoying music the best I can. B)

9 minutes ago, Dirty Work said:

Just thought die hard Zeppelin fans were about Zeppelin i guess. Crosstown Torrents is a very friendly place, for example. Quiet, so I guess that could be one thing to consider. I guess the elite status of being a member on a great site causes people to join again, hell if i care anyways. Just enjoying music the best I can. B)

Not sure what you mean.  If you're banned from a site 10 times or more, as you've stated, then obviously it was more than just being a hard Zeppelin fan, on a Zeppelin fan site no less.  Being 'elite' status would only buy you more leeway, based on this site and others I'm a part of.  If you're just enjoying the music the best you can, why would you ever be banned?  I'm curious about this and always have been - why would someone who isn't wanted as a member of a site, continue to rejoin so many times?  Personal entertainment?  Personal displeasure?  

Archived