When will Plant retire?

Flares

With Plant announcing new tour dates next year, he seems in no mood to slow down or call it day. But I wonder if he should go out on a high with Lullaby and the Ceaseless Roar. It seems to me he has produced one of his best solo albums to date, and in terms of the fusion concept he was reaching for, I don't think he can top this record. I wonder if it crossed his mind to go out on a critical and commercial high? What is there left for him to achieve?

Personally I think he will keep going for a while longer. He is a bit of wanderlust and as far as I know does not have a new long term partner (I could be wrong). So with limited short tours, he can still see his family a lot and travel and perform. I just wonder when the point will come when he hangs up the microphone. Will it be a faltering voice, health or some other factor that forces his hand? When he makes a decision he's pretty dogmatic about it, so I imagine there will be no comebacks.

I think he'll keep going as long as he personally sees value and substance in his voice. Once he is not happy with things, he'll retire. It won't be from any pressures outside. So can he continue to find new projects to occupy his creative mind and be satisfied? That will be the question.

In my opinion, Robert Plant, despite his current folksy and bluegrassy style, is a true and honest Bluesman, from beginning to end.  To that end, I think that Mr. Plant will continue to sing and tour for as long as he desires. 

I can picture Robert Plant singing well into his 80's.  Being pushed out onstage in a wheelchair and singing "Squeeze My Lemon till the Juice runs down My leg" and everyone in the audience, myself included, is standing on their feet and roaring with approval. 

1 minute ago, SteveAJones said:

That album is a turd and the band is a bore.

Would you rather he was grabbing his crotch and wailing over power chords, pretending it was 1973?

The album is a belter and Plant has aged and performed with dignity.

Robert Plant is doing exactly what he wants, when he wants. I don't like some of it, love some of it.

I can do without some of his reworking of things like Black Dog in particular, but I respect the way he has approached his post Zeppelin career very much.

I don't see him retiring any time soon. If he decides to, he's had an incredible run.

9 hours ago, Flares said:

Would you rather he was grabbing his crotch and wailing over power chords, pretending it was 1973?

Do really think so? I'd rather he drop this band and limit the setlist to no more than two Led Zeppelin songs. No worries, stopped going years ago.

13 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

That album is a turd and the band is a bore.

and its probably still ten times better than anything you have done musically B)

im not a huge fan of his new band but I dont think its horrible.

42 minutes ago, sk8rat said:

and its probably still ten times better than anything you have done musically B)

Apples to oranges comparison. Compare it against his own solo album output...it's easily the weakest of them all.

36 minutes ago, sk8rat said:

also he also recently announced he is working on a new album along side of the tour.

He and this lineup have had a second album done for quite some time now.

I don't think Robert will ever stop his career unless he literally drops dead or is stuck very ill in a hospice or

hospital. I think the quality of his material is not the point here, although I myself  have found a lot of his post-2000

work to simply not "gel". But if your'e still a big fan now, great, each to his own.

50 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

He and this lineup have had a second album done for quite some time now.

he announced they just began working on a new album in January.

“Our recent travels have taken this wild whirlwind of a band though many incredible and inspiring places. Having just begun work on our new album, we thought we’d take time out to raise a little sand and welcome springtime with one more adventure, another celebration of life and song.” - Robert Plant

I think post millennium he's had a great run with Dreamland, Alison K, Band of Joy and now Space Shifters.

Any artist in their 50s and now 60s would be delighted with that.

I don't think he has anything left to prove and will now just perform for the sheer joy.

I think like Strider, res and many others have already stated, it will all (in the end), be up to him.

IMO, as long as Robert continues to enjoy himself, has terrific bouts of creativity and finds the task of touring, etc. to be incredibly fulfilling and joyful, he should just go for it and seize the day! :) 

I actually got back into his work through L&TCR. Loved it immediately and caught the Glastonbury gig on TV and all the old memories of enjoying his solo work came back. Bought all his solo Lp's and played them in reverse order and they actually stand up well and are so incredibly diverse. This also got me to buy the LZ CD's and appreciate them something that would never have happened in my teens.

He is obviously enjoying his music and live work.

4 hours ago, anniemouse said:

I actually got back into his work through L&TCR. Loved it immediately and caught the Glastonbury gig on TV and all the old memories of enjoying his solo work came back. Bought all his solo Lp's and played them in reverse order and they actually stand up well and are so incredibly diverse. This also got me to buy the LZ CD's and appreciate them something that would never have happened in my teens.

He is obviously enjoying his music and live work.

I also enjoyed his Glastonbury spot in 2014. I thought his band and song selection was great. To be honest I have no need or want to revisit his solo career as Shaken and Stirred put me off for life. But there will be always be a soft spot for the man, even if he did refer to Manchester as "worse than Detroit"

11 hours ago, The Dark Lord said:

He probably won't retire anytime soon. If he retired tomorrow, it would have no impact on me, as I have marginal use for most of the post Zep material, with a couple of exceptions. 

I have to totally agree, well said.

When will Robert retire?  When he wants to, obviously.  When older people stop doing what they love to do, they typically perish.  I hope he goes as long as its fun for him.  Looking forward to seeing him once again in March!

Archived