John Bonham vs Alex VH

10 hours ago, kingzoso said:

In a fair fight, John Bonham would knock Alex Van Halen the fuck out. 

In a fair drum battle, Bonzo would kill Alex Van Halen. 

How is that for a fair and honest analysis? 

I don't know.. if John Bonham was that tanked... Alex is a pretty big guy.

AVH has steadily improved as a drummer over the years as well. When I saw him in 2007-08 he was real good, better than the previous 2 times I saw him..

Maybe not as good as JB at his peak but... for me was the highlight of the show.

18 hours ago, kingzoso said:

In a fair fight, John Bonham would knock Alex Van Halen the fuck out. 

In a fair drum battle, Bonzo would kill Alex Van Halen. 

How is that for a fair and honest analysis? 

Agreed.  I don't know if it's the production or what, but Alex's drums always sound so thin.  No muscle at all to them.

1 hour ago, in_the_evening said:

Agreed.  I don't know if it's the production or what, but Alex's drums always sound so thin.  No muscle at all to them.

Exactly. And they often have a "boop" sound to them. Still love Van Halen though; it's just that Bonzo's tone was amazing. 

I get the critiques of AVH's drum sound. He tapes the tone out of his snare drums. The Simmons pads on 5150 sound terrible. I like electronic drums when used right. I don't think they worked in VH's case.

His greatest sounding recording by far was For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge with the late Andy Johns behind the board.

Kind of a shame this is turning into a "who's a better drummer" thread. To me it's more about a fan meeting one of his heroes and not in the best way. 

I'll give Alex credit. I've never heard him mention this incident. I've never heard him criticize John Bonham either.

Whatever about who did or said what 40-odd years ago, it's always been pretty obvious to my ears that Bonzo was an influence on AVH's drumming. I've said for years that AVH is one of the few drummers who had a similar swing as Bonzo in their playing. It's no coincidence that VH used to cover The Rover in their early days. I love Alex's drumming on VH's 1984 LP, good round sound and fun tunes. Also has Hot For Teacher, which will always be one of the greatest music videos ever made.

On 1/29/2016 at 9:48 PM, The Dark Lord said:

Exactly. And they often have a "boop" sound to them. Still love Van Halen though; it's just that Bonzo's tone was amazing. 

TOTALLY.  When I try to explain AVH's sound, it does sound like they are almost "saying" "boop".  Again, I put it down to production, AVH is a pretty amazing drummer especially on the last tour given some of the Youtube pieces I have seen.  Def love the Roth VH stuff.

In the studio Alex is a "good" drummer but not even comparable to Bonzo. Live, however, he is much more powerful

and reckless, but even so,  at best  70% of Bonzo- his very best. Fighting wise, anybody who knows much bout such 

things knows not to assume much. John Lennon, in fact, was known to be a serious ass-kicker, believe it or not.

• 5 months later...

I think a missing link here is that EVH's lead AND rhythm style was so full that Alex and M Anthony had to do a lot

of holding  back. Great as JImmy is, Bonham filled a lot of holes that Jimmy had a hell of a time filling after Bonzo's

death. Again IMO Alex played much better live, and even in the studio Eddie filled up a ton of space.

On 7/16/2016 at 6:35 PM, MortSahlFan said:

I'm guessing Bonzo was a big influence... He tries to emulate his snare.. Billy Squire and his drummer tried to completely fill in the gap in 1981, a year after Bonham and Led Zeppelin died.

Per Alex his strongest influence was Ginger Baker.

Bill

On 1/28/2016 at 10:35 PM, juxtiphi said:

I don't think there was another kit in the whole of Rock history that had as full a sound as Bonham's.

Bonzo could get a full sound out of buckets , coffee cans with spandex fastened to the top by using rubber bands.

Bill Ward stated that he had the touch and power of that we'll never see again. In the same interview he was quoted as saying " Bonzo could always find the sweet spot with amazing accuracy" He went on to say that he witnessed Bonzo pummel Jason's kiddie kit and was amazed. High praise coming from a guy that from 69-73 was as close to Bonzo in regard to power as anyone.

AVH is an excellent drummer but he's not even in the same league as Bruford, Powell, Palmer, Baker or even Les Binks. I know Alex gets buried in the mix but he's just not remotely close to Bonzo. I love Van Halen too.  

I own one Motley Crue album ( Too Fast For Love) and an early boot rip , I think Tommy Lee is better than AVH. I forget the nut who played the bass 'name but say he played with Billy Sheehan ,he would have gotten more acclaim.

I love Van Halen too. But it's not even close

In a fight who knows? I've seen plenty of small framed wiry guys kick the !@#$ out guys twice the size. I saw a U.S. Army Ranger take an ass kicking from a friendly, early teen skinny. He didn't realize he had fists the size of sledgehammers until his face was being tattooed.  Even the JH's knew better.

Back on track, My buddy used always says Tito Puente was better than "Bozo" .

IMHO, John Henry Bonham was and still is peerless.  

I will say this about Alex...he kept his solos short (never longer than 5 minutes) and it was always early in the set (usually after the second song) when the audience's energy was still amped and fresh. With the drum solo out of the way so soon, it was smooth sailing the rest of the way.

Archived