Slate Chocolate Marble
Slate Chocolate Marble

Led Zeppelin Official Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mikezep61

Kinetic Playground - May 1969

6 posts in this topic

I always thought this Charles Bonnay picture of Zeppelin was taken in the lobby of the Kinetic Playground in Chicago, but wasn't 100% positive - until now.  Here's a confirmed Kinetic Playground lobby pic and it's a match.  More than likely, the bottom pic was taken on the right side of the entrance, while the band picture was taken on the left side of the entrance.

69-05  Chicago Kinetic Playground.jpg

5d3e540df9c7b534eba970b436451c7b.jpg

Edited by mikezep61
accuracy

Kinetic Playground for certain...and they were also photographed on this day in front of the House of Lewis.

Ahh the Kinetic Playground, I was a bit too young to actually attend, but this venue was THE Spot back then. It no longer exists, but there are similar type venues currently in that area.

Edited by The Rover 75
spelling

Some of my older musician friends were at these early Kinetic Playground shows. I asked one what he remembered about the gig and he responded - "Hair! All I saw was hair flying around with no faces!"

On 1/28/2016 at 4:31 PM, mikezep61 said:

I always thought this Charles Bonnay picture of Zeppelin was taken in the lobby of the Kinetic Playground in Chicago, but wasn't 100% positive - until now.  Here's a confirmed Kinetic Playground lobby pic and it's a match.  More than likely, the bottom pic was taken on the right side of the entrance, while the band picture was taken on the left side of the entrance.

69-05  Chicago Kinetic Playground.jpg

It is definitely the Kinetic Playground. Back in 2002/2003 I went in there a few times and took pics and a video. Although it was very dark, I distinctly remember that tile floor and the metal grate in front of the ticket booth.  BTW: You can clearly see the reflection of the fire hydrant that is still across Clark street (as well as a little of the cemetery wall).