Autobiography

NealR2000

In recent years, I have read quite a number of rock autobiographies.  These have included Keith Richards, Billy Joel, Steven Tyler, Pete Townshend, Johhny Cash, Willie Nelson, Rod Stewart, Graham Nash, Joe Perry, Chrissie Hynde, and Elvis Costello.  I read a lot of pretty deep books, but every so often, I like these rock autobiographies for a bit of light relief.   As a major Zephead, I really would like to see something from them.  I know we've had many biographies, some good and some not-so-good, but they are all written from the perspective of the writer.  We've never really had what would be considered a true autobiography.  I started thinking about the three surviving members.  JPJ?  I actually think his autobiography would probably make the most interesting read, but I just don't see the market demand for a book from him.  Jimmy?  I can see him doing it as long as someone else does all the gruntwork in writing it based upon his direct input.  However, I just don't think it would be all that interesting.  Jimmy is extremely private, and I just don't see him opening up about some of the parts of his life that he likes to gloss over.  I just think that Jimmy's "book" would be an overpriced account of what we all already have heard from him in interviews.  So this brings me to Robert.  We all know that he has a gift for telling a story, and I just think that, although unlikely, he could tell a very interesting account of his life.  I also think he could use it as a way of carefully explaining in detail the demons he has been wrestling with regarding all the stories about the post-Zep years and why he did and didn't do the various things.  Yes, he has answered interview questions about this stuff, but I just think he could lay out a full and thoughtful explanation.

robert plant doesn't like to dwell in the past, especially with all the negative things that happened during his later years in the band so a book from him is probably the least likely. I read an interview with jimmy page where they asked him if he would ever write an actual biography and he said that he has a ton of stories but they would have to be published after he is dead (:unsure: that's not a fun thought) but it seemed like it was sort of tongue in cheek.

Esteemed Led Zeppelin author Howard Mylett once told me he intended to publish a definitive Robert Plant biography as a follow up to Jimmy Page: Tangents Within a Framework. However, this was at the onset of Robert's solo career, and when word was received Robert would rather not see a biography published Howard abandoned the idea. 

Robert Plant has provided many very candid interviews thru the years. One could take all of those transcriptions, edit them down into a book format and then make a fortune if Robert would simply be willing to include previously unseen photographs and perhaps sign the first 100 copies. We know that Robert loves books, unfortunately he doesn't seem to keen towards books about himself.

If, and that is a very big if, Robert would consent to writing an autobiography it would most likely only happen once Jimmy has passed on. Even then I would assume he would stick to the music, the industry, and what it was like coming up in Zeppelin. I seriously doubt he would include any controversy or anything about any band member which could in any fashion be considered too "revealing."

That said, my thought is Robert would only cover his solo years, but again, I doubt a book will come from any of them.

Can't imagine it would ever happen. The history of the band is well documented and their personal lives contained too many aspects that are/were illegal and/or would today be met with outrage.

I haven't read many rock autobiographies. The main one I read was Eric Clapton's which spent a lot of time talking about his recovery from addiction. It seems that Jimmy does not wish to talk about those type of personal struggles and Robert doesn't seem to admit that he has had any. I'm pretty sure neither of them nor JPJ go to a 12-step program. Thus we will not see that that type of self-confession. I also read Tony Iommi's memoir. Black Sabbath's history had not been as well documented as Zeppelin's and Tony's personal history hasn't been as controversial as Jimmy's or Robert's. Talking about having used cocaine is very different from talking about having had sex with underage girls. Tony is also a chatty type, quite different from Jimmy. Robert likes to present an image and JPJ likes to stay out of the limelight altogether.

46 minutes ago, ScarletMacaw said:

Talking about having used cocaine is very different from talking about having had sex with underage girls. 

Neither need be discussed. Both are mere footnotes in the overall scheme of things. I was disappointed in Pete Townshend's book, which seems to chronicle has romantic relationships more so than life in The Who. Yawn. 

7 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Neither need be discussed. Both are mere footnotes in the overall scheme of things. I was disappointed in Pete Townshend's book, which seems to chronicle has romantic relationships more so than life in The Who. Yawn. 

Ah yes, they joys of wealth and fame. What is a mere footnote to a wealthy rock icon is 5-10 in the pen for the average Joe.

On January 30, 2016 at 3:35 PM, SteveAJones said:

It's predictable you would say that, but wealth and fame has nothing to do with it.

Oh of course Steve, after all, the term "wealth has its privilege" is obviously baseless.

1 hour ago, IpMan said:

Oh of course Steve, after all, the term "wealth has its privilege" is obviously baseless.

Well, by your own logic, Page's wealth actually makes him a bigger target for civil damages. However, none were ever brought, thus wealth and fame has nothing to do with it.

2 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Well, by your own logic, Page's wealth actually makes him a bigger target for civil damages. However, none were ever brought, thus wealth and fame has nothing to do with it.

Unfortunately you are wrong due to statue of limitations in regard to civil suits which vary from state to state. Plus, there is the added benefit of filing suit against a foreign national. 

The point here is, if say, your average guy is banging a teenage girl circa 1973 it could go either way due to the cultural mores of the decade and the independent and much more mature nature of teenagers in the 1970's compared with today. So, back then I would give it a 50 / 50 chance either way regarding prosecution in regard to an average guy. However, for the rich and powerful, unless they were to do some really batshit stuff (ala Roman Polanski), money would make everything all good should the possibility of any charges come into play.

I really don't want to get this thread locked due to a controversial subject, so let me concede your point has merit as does mine.

Now, regarding a possible autobiography from any member of Zep: Unlikely

8 minutes ago, IpMan said:

Unfortunately you are wrong due to statue of limitations in regard to civil suits which vary from state to state. Plus, there is the added benefit of filing suit against a foreign national. 

The point here is, if say, your average guy is banging a teenage girl circa 1973 it could go either way due to the cultural mores of the decade and the independent and much more mature nature of teenagers in the 1970's compared with today. So, back then I would give it a 50 / 50 chance either way regarding prosecution in regard to an average guy. However, for the rich and powerful, unless they were to do some really batshit stuff (ala Roman Polanski), money would make everything all good should the possibility of any charges come into play.

I really don't want to get this thread locked due to a controversial subject, so let me concede your point has merit as does mine.

Now, regarding a possible autobiography from any member of Zep: Unlikely

I wasn't necessarily referring to now, I was referring to then but I guess I can see a bit better where you're coming from--you seem to be speaking in general as opposed to specifically (Page). I'm fine with that. 

For what it's worth, I've always thought that once Jimmy passes on, the floodgates will open on Biographies of him.  We may not like what we learn.  But the potential authors are terrified of his legal team and potential curses placed on their souls while the great Wizard lives, so we shall see.

But an actual insightful Autobiography?  No way. Especially from Jimmy.  He lies too much.  

1 hour ago, bluecongo said:

For what it's worth, I've always thought that once Jimmy passes on, the floodgates will open on Biographies of him.  We may not like what we learn.  But the potential authors are terrified of his legal team and potential curses placed on their souls while the great Wizard lives, so we shall see.

But an actual insightful Autobiography?  No way. Especially from Jimmy.  He lies too much.  

Common procedure if you don't want to be sued for slander. Page is no different than other personalities in that regard.

There's nothing in it for Jimmy to write an autobiography, or maybe he can write one in the Keith Richards style and discuss the size of his lead singer's cock.

Boy I can see why I'd make a shitty lawyer because I really don't understand the legal angle in this.
Not writing a book because of being a private person I 1000% get that, but if it's more to do with
legal issues that's where I am confused.

Before releasing a book would he not get all the parties permission to bring up their involvement
that way he would AVOID crap like being sued? Other than that, I don't know what 'legal' problems
can arise. Talking about the cycle of drugs he used or saying he got laid in a number of USA cities
etc. How would that hurt him legally? I guess the real touchy subject is L M, but today how? 43ish
yrs later she speaks quite flattering about him. She sure as hell isn't going to stir the pot 4 decades
later - but then again I don't know how the law in California works. Perhaps what is viewed as an
extremely touchy situation is maybe not wise to bring up in a book - whether or not you're famous,
rich and it's been well over 40 years later.  There are those who are meh with what happened and
chalk it up to the 70's where teenage girls were part of the packaged deal for a guy like Jimmy Page,
others who ride it out in the middle ground and than there are those who are ready to throw their
pitch forks. 

Like somebody mentioned several posts up. He really has nothing to gain from doing an autobiography
other than wanting to tell his side of story, but is it worth it if it means getting himself or his estate in hot
water.
 Probably not.

Just now, bluecongo said:

This may explain why no one has written an authoritative biography of Jimmy Page.  However, it doesn't explain the lack of authoritative biographies about his former bandmates.   Page isn't the only one who closely guards his privacy and secrets.  

Just now, KellyGirl said:

Boy I can see why I'd make a shitty lawyer because I really don't understand the legal angle in this.
Not writing a book because of being a private person I 1000% get that, but if it's more to do with
legal issues that's where I am confused.

Before releasing a book would he not get all the parties permission to bring up their involvement
that way he would AVOID crap like being sued? Other than that, I don't know what 'legal' problems
can arise. Talking about the cycle of drugs he used or saying he got laid in a number of USA cities
etc. How would that hurt him legally? I guess the real touchy subject is L M, but today how? 43ish
yrs later she speaks quite flattering about him. She sure as hell isn't going to stir the pot 4 decades
later - but then again I don't know how the law in California works. Perhaps what is viewed as an
extremely touchy situation is maybe not wise to bring up in a book - whether or not your famous,
rich and it's been well over 40 years later.  There are those who are meh with what happened and
chalk it up to the 70's where teenage girls were part of the packaged deal for a guy like Jimmy Page,
others who ride it out in the middle ground and than there are those who are ready to throw their
pitch forks. 

Like somebody mentioned several posts up. He really has nothing to gain from doing an autobiography
other than wanting to tell his side of story, but is it worth it if it means getting himself or his estate in hot
water.
 Probably not.

I think Chicago meant that any writer who wanted to write a Jimmy Page biography would worry about Page suing them for libel.  I don't know how the British legal system works but,  my understanding of the American legal system is that if you can prove what you wrote about an individual is true, then you have a good defense against a libel  lawsuits.    

I'm just an armchair lawyer but I think that Jimmy's main resistance to truthful disclosure is that he can't even handle

what others have written about him, let alone his own written word. I certainly don't see how it would be easy for

anyone to over 40 years later to can Page with most swirling("victims" included) in a fog of drugs and booze.

5 hours ago, Garden Wanderer said:

Dave Lewis may be the only one that they would (especially Jimmy) let write a biography

I always thought Cameron Crow would get their backing for a biographical movie - if anything (and it would be SPECTACULAR!).

Other than that, I can't see an auto-biography. Nothing in it as many have said.

• 3 weeks later...

As the original poster here, I really was thinking of an AUTObiography rather than a biography.  The more I think about this, I really don't see it happening, ever.  Only autobiographies on Page or Plant are marketable.  However, Plant has far more interesting things to spend his time on.  As for Page, he might if there's the possibility of a big payday, but there are too many dark periods in his past that publishers would insist on.

Archived