Newly found Starway to Heaven multi track

achillestand

It has been reported today that, in the turmoil of the Stairway case, newly found early versions, multi tracks of the song were presented. I wonder if Jimmi had this material during the reissue campaign, and if other songs multi tracks have also appeared.

16 minutes ago, achillestand said:

It has been reported today that, in the turmoil of the Stairway case, newly found early versions, multi tracks of the song were presented. I wonder if Jimmi had this material during the reissue campaign, and if other songs multi tracks have also appeared.

He'll have the multitrack masters for every song.  It's their condition that is in question - whether or not they are too damaged for playback.
Considering that the multis for half of Led Zep II have surfaced in digital form, it's highly likely they have all been digitized so that remixes could happen at some point in the future, if the will was there.

6 hours ago, woz70 said:

He'll have the multitrack masters for every song.

Yes, given the guaranteed future worth of all things Zeppelin along with the known longevity of reel-to-reel tape, it would highly imprudent for Atlantic not to have already digitized all the usable multitrack session tapes. It's also highly likely these tapes and digital files are guarded by the Hounds of Hell themselves, especially since the LZII leak.

Isolated tracks from the multi tracks? The whole case is based on the ascending acoustic passage from the intro and that is a solo acoustic guitar... Cannot break it down to further tracks besides the part JPJ is playing behind it. 

Beyond the intro if they think that any other part of STH is remotely close to Taurus thats a joke...

Plus were talking instrumental ... There are countless songs on the radio every day that have the same chords changes or sequences within its respective key as the one before it... I mean play Werewolves of London backed by Sweet Home Alabama, then put on BIGLY backed with 25 or 6 to 4, and on and on and on... NOT TO MENTION EVERY POP OR POP ROCK SONG WE HEAR ON THE RADIO TODAY.

Look at LZ they got sued by bluesmen because RP loved what they were singing about... It wasnt the music because blues has reached a point that it is truly universal... If Spirit had slapped some lyrics on it and they popped out of RPs mouth close to verbatim there may be a case but alas that fictitious world never was much like a world where Spirit wins this case... 

Excellent points by cosmic juice. Page could probably sue countless top 40 artists with that given chord/harmonic 

sequence, although I realize the opening 10-15 seconds is specifically referred to. Very irritating is the disclosure

that OF COURSE there is much more viable material that could be released. No gripes with anyone, just know

that it is nonsense that Page would simply tape over experimental versions of songs, discard versions of tunes

with diff overdubs or lyrics. No matter how messed up/smacked out/drunk, etc., in the studio Page would never

be foolish enough to just carelessly discard whatever the band did.

Maybe he wouldn't simply discard stuff but back in the day bands would often reuse tape to save money which meant taping over previous stuff. I'm sure Jimmy never taped over anything that he felt was valuable but I'm sure they reused some of their tapes.

On 04/02/2016 at 6:58 PM, FavouriteTipple said:

It's also highly likely these tapes and digital files are guarded by the Hounds of Hell themselves, especially since the LZII leak.

Oh, I never heard anything about THAT... but then, I've only been a Zep-head for 18 months now... what happened, and do they still have said master in their possession?

1 hour ago, The Old Hermit said:

Oh, I never heard anything about THAT... but then, I've only been a Zep-head for 18 months now... what happened, and do they still have said master in their possession?

I should think so.  It's only the digital transfers that are available, and only for half of the album........so far (WLL, WIAWSNB, Heartbreaker, Ramble On).  Probably someone being more than a little indiscreet at the studio where they were digitized... someone, in fact,  who probably no longer has that job.
They're  88.2kHz/24bit files, which indicates that they were either digitized around the time of the 1st set of remasters (George Marino era) or have been downsampled at some point to make the files smaller.  If they were new transfers they would've been done at 192kHz/24bit.

Page is cheap as hell but probably not concerning his dear Zep. Page from the beginning of Zep to the end was known

to be as diligent as a brain surgeon, in the studio,anyway. So the existence of much more sketches, out takes, etc., etc.

is a bit speculative but very likely. The technical jargon with the remasters I'm not exactly clear about. But just remember

that despite Grant and his hoodlums, probably 90% + of Zep shows still got bootlegged. Despite what Page may have,

of studio workers/personnel , there could have been secret tapers about in that situation as well, witness the not small

amounts of Zep studio boots, of course some stolen from Page.

Someone from Zeppelin who is on this forum, should definately use this video, to show where Taurus must have got it from and the Taurus song and Stairway are not that similar anyway!

Surprised this thing got so little views! 

8 hours ago, Matjaz1 said:

Someone from Zeppelin who is on this forum, should definately use this video, to show where Taurus must have got it from and the Taurus song and Stairway are not that similar anyway!

Surprised this thing got so little views! 

Cool video... Play that for the judge... Case dismissed

I for one, would like an "Immersion" experience with isolated tracks from all the Zeppelin recordings, officially released.

I could mix "my own" versions of LZ songs then, or at least try to.

What Fun !! And a worthy endeavor!!!

Archived