Blackmore on Page/Beck

Flares

Actually very interesting hearing Blackmore compliment other guitarists. Iv'e read many Blackmore interviews from

when he was still playing rock, and he complimented just about no one. Anyway people and aspiring guitarists

should absolutely seek out Ritchie's live stuff in the 70's. He could play classical stuff, blues, combine the two,

play really cranking rock as well. He was a forerunner shredder, but played with just as much fire and emotion

as a great blues guitarist.

Flares,

Thanks for sharing!  Blackmore was always my second favorite guitarist of all time! He is one of those rare technical guitarists who can also write and play melodically!  He was my inspiration to pick up the guitar in the first place!

juxtiphi,

Of course, everyone has their own opinion.  I prefer the riff and the two solo's in "Burn" myself!

It's getting to where I can't tell Ritchie Blackmore and Tony Iommi apart. I was never a big Deep Purple fan, though I don't know why, but I love the early Dio-era Rainbow stuff. He often doesn't seem to get the credit he deserves for being the great and influential guitarist that he was. Whenever I see one of those stupid greatest guitarist lists, Blackmore always seems to slip down far lower than he should be and ends up behind guitarists who couldn't hold a candle to him. I've always heard he was a rather unlikable fellow, so perhaps that factors into it somehow.

Thanks for posting this, I'm a huge Blackmore fan.  I've heard interviews from the 70's where he spoke highly of Page and Zep, so this isn't totally out of character.  (He also spoke well of his replacement in DP, Tommy Bolin, and rightfully so).  FWIW his work in DP with Coverdale is his best, as Zep Head said, check out his stuff from this period (and early Rainbow w/Dio), definitely an amazing guitarist. 

Interesting, never heard those interviews. I live on Long Island and my friend who was 18 at the time showed up

at a jam where Blackmore played. My friend was a prodigy basically , got up and played and Blackmore shook his

hand , he was blown away. My friend then hung out with him sometimes, he said Blackmore was cool, played a lot

of soccer, drunk moderately. Ritchie was known to be moody and even belligerent at times. I saw a combo show in

88'-- Gun's n ' Rose's, Aerosmith, and Purple. Blackmore made mincemeat out of  the other guitarists. Aerosmith was

still rebuilding and Slash was pretty erratic that early on.

10 hours ago, Lambeau Leap said:

I saw a documentary on him recently, The Ritchie Blackmore story, really good.  Somebody in the documentary commented on Blackmore saying "He was the white Hendricks." That's very accurate IMO.

I'd be more inclined to give that particular honor to Uli Roth, but yeah, Ritchie could get some crazy sounds out of his guitar.

On February 12, 2016 at 2:19 AM, Mithril46 said:

Actually very interesting hearing Blackmore compliment other guitarists. Iv'e read many Blackmore interviews from

when he was still playing rock, and he complimented just about no one. Anyway people and aspiring guitarists

should absolutely seek out Ritchie's live stuff in the 70's. He could play classical stuff, blues, combine the two,

play really cranking rock as well. He was a forerunner shredder, but played with just as much fire and emotion

as a great blues guitarist.

Are you referring to his work with Deep Purple on Purple Passages for instance?  The pre Smoke on the Water/Machine Head days if you will?

Archived