Slate Chocolate Marble
Slate Chocolate Marble

Led Zeppelin Official Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Jeff Reichenbach

Guitar tone "Houses of the Holy "

9 posts in this topic

Hello, I am new to the forum. I posted this question on the newbie forum because I am a newbie, and then I found musicians forum.

My question,

How is the guitar effected on the intro to the song ,Houses of the Holy, from the Physical Graffiti? 

Is it some kind of phase, flange? 

I appreciate any feedback or suggestions, because I have tried everything in my arsenal,to no avail.

Thank you Zeppelin people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jeff Reichenbach said:

Hello, I am new to the forum. I posted this question on the newbie forum because I am a newbie, and then I found musicians forum.

My question,

How is the guitar effected on the intro to the song ,Houses of the Holy, from the Physical Graffiti? 

Is it some kind of phase, flange? 

I appreciate any feedback or suggestions, because I have tried everything in my arsenal,to no avail.

Thank you Zeppelin people.

Knowing Page, and hearing what my ears pick up, I imagine it's probably a Guitar Overdub.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Stairway is NOT stolen said:

Knowing Page, and hearing what my ears pick up, I imagine it's probably a Guitar Overdub.

I never thought of it like that. Very interesting, but I think there's more to it than an overdub.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had read that he used a delay effect (pedal or board) with some kind of modification of the input connection that made it feedback to itself. The guitar sound is quite drastic from the companion disc to the finalized version. (Leads me to believe the effect was dome through the mixing board)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, sixpense said:

I had read that he used a delay effect (pedal or board) with some kind of modification of the input connection that made it feedback to itself. The guitar sound is quite drastic from the companion disc to the finalized version. (Leads me to believe the effect was dome through the mixing board)

^ this...

There's a thing called a phase reverse button on most mixing desk channels. If you play back a sound, and also play a phase reversed version of the sound back at the same time, the two versions of the sound cancel one another out so you end up hearing nothing at all... 

If you do the same thing but also delay one sound very slightly from the other you can get some quite odd metallic sounding effects (for the nerds out there it creates a form of comb-filtering), as only bits of the sound cancel.  Not really practical as a effect pedal or a live effect because it severely cuts the volume of the guitar, but it can be a cool sounding studio tweak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How ever it was done it's freaking genius! My buddies and I pulled out PG on vinyl and someone said what's your fav song on PG & I said - Side three : ) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently got close (to my ears) by using an overdrive pedal into my wah-wah pedal leaning toward the treble side. I kind of had to play around with it and not move my foot at all.

Page probably had a better way to do it.

Edited by MCAN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did anyone get anywhere with this? - I'm also trying to get that guitar tone. I realise it was probably done at the studio mixing desk rather than with guitar effects and amp but still any further information would be helpful.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

try the delay pedal with a super short delay time (and feedback). You'll hear it simulated. Jimmy I think used an out of phase pickup selection on his tele - I have a fender guitar that is wired for an out of phase tone and you can hear it immediately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now