2016 NFL Thread

Walter

2 hours ago, the chase said:

Let's see what happens.. I don't have a crystal ball either.

16-2 after all the crap this year is the makings of a great team ... win or lose in the SB.

I say a great coach and QB.  The team itself is lifted by them.  The Bills with worthless ass Ryan beat them 13-0 when Brady was out.  Dont forget that.

Remember those initial reports of minimum price of $4,000 for Super Bowl tickets? They are falling. This doesn't really surprise me. New England is a hated team by the majority of America and nobody outside the south really knows or cares about the Atlanta Falcons. Now if this was Dallas or Green Bay vs. New England (or Pittsburgh), then you would have seen some record Super Bowl ticket prices.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/tickets-for-super-bowl-li-could-fall-as-low-as-dollar1000/ar-AAmpTDC?ocid=NL_ENUS_A1_M_C1_OM2-PID83881

Yeah, I haven't been this underwhelmed by an upcoming Super Bowl in a long time. Maybe because I know the inevitable will happen and Brady & Belichick will get that 5th ring--putting and end to the arguments about who the GOATs are. 

And poor Roger Goodell, having to step on the field & hand that trophy to them. Might make for some interesting viewing...

Was glad to see Kurt Warner inducted into the Hall of Fame.  Terrell Owens should have gotten in;  he was obnoxious, but his numbers justify entry as well, clearly the media doesn't like him for some reason and personal unpleasantness has never been a barrier before (e.g. the execrable Warren Sapp).

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 2:39 PM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I say a great coach and QB.  The team itself is lifted by them.  The Bills with worthless ass Ryan beat them 13-0 when Brady was out.  Dont forget that.

Was actually 16-0, back in week 4, and Pats were playing with their 3rd string QB who had a broken thumb.  It starts with B&B, obviously, but NE definitely has more than them (they led the league in scoring defense).

Defense wins championships.

It's a truism as old as time. This is the eighth Super Bowl where the #1 scoring offense (Atlanta) will face the #1 scoring defense (New England).

In the seven previous Super Bowl matchups between the #1s, the #1 defense won all but one. The only time the #1 offense won was in 1990 when San Francisco crushed Denver 55-10.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/super-bowl-51-new-england-patriots-atlanta-falcons-number-1-defense-vs-offense-matchups-49ers-seahawks-packers-steelers-chiefs-giants-020117

Damn straight, best defense in history, the 1985 Chicago Bears. Beat the living crap out of those pussy ass Patriots. Damn, what Chicago did to the Patriots that year was Menace II Society level shit!

Oldboy want's some burgers bitch!

Go Falcons, show Brady what it means to "take it up smooth..."

Some points to ponder...

Just for kicks I looked up the points for the previous seven Super Bowls of New England's Brady-Belichick era.

For the four Super Bowls that the Patriots won, the average score was:

New England: 26

Opponent: 22.75

Average total points: 48.75

Adding in New England's two losses to the NY Giants, the average score drops to:

New England: 22.5

Opponent: 21.5

Average total points: 44

Of all the teams that have won three or more Super Bowls, the Brady-Belichick Patriots are the only team to never have had a blowout Super Bowl win...all their wins coming by 3 or 4 points.

One last point to ponder...the Brady-Belichick Patriots are 0-4 covering the spread as Super Bowl favourites. 2-2 straight up in those games, but 0-2 in their last two Super Bowls as the favourite.

The other two Super Bowls they were a 14-point underdog to the Rams in 2001 (which they won), and the 2015 Super Bowl between the Patriots and Seahawks was a pick-em.

•  

8 hours ago, IpMan said:

Damn straight, best defense in history, the 1985 Chicago Bears. Beat the living crap out of those pussy ass Patriots. Damn, what Chicago did to the Patriots that year was Menace II Society level shit!

Oldboy want's some burgers bitch!

Go Falcons, show Brady what it means to "take it up smooth..."

Those Patriots were coke heads. It's a small miracle they found their way to the field on Super Bowl Sunday.

These Patriots are a machine. Atlanta's gonna get crushed.

I'll be watching Superbowl later on tonight, it will be my thirty something SB (my first was 1983), I still will not have a clue what is going on, it just won't sink in....all those stop starts....one good thing though, no commercials on The BBC.

15 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

Those Patriots were coke heads. It's a small miracle they found their way to the field on Super Bowl Sunday.

These Patriots are a machine. Atlanta's gonna get crushed.

I can't get the image of Ryan choking out of my mind.

31 minutes ago, JTM said:

I'll be watching Superbowl later on tonight, it will be my thirty something SB (my first was 1983), I still will not have a clue what is going on, it just won't sink in....all those stop starts....one good thing though, no commercials on The BBC.

No!!!  No commercials is not good for this game!  Most of the time, they're the best part :D 

Just a reminder to everyone - watch the Schuyler Sisters sing America the Beautiful before the game.  You don't have to watch anything else.  

40 minutes ago, JTM said:

Thirty years and the concept of a play starting and ending still hasn't sunk in? It shouldn't be that difficult...my five year old niece picked it up in no time.

The team with the ball has to matriculate down the field to score a touchdown. They have a set of 'downs' (plays)...first down, second down, etc. If they gain 10 yards by the fourth down they earn a new set of downs. If on fourth down, they have not scored or gained the necessary 10 yards to maintain possession of the ball, then they can either go for it on fourth down, risking the other team taking over at that spot should they fail to gain the yardage necessary for a new first down. Or they can punt the ball to the other team, with the goal being to pin the other team as deep in its own territory as possible. Or, if the coach thinks they are in range, they can trot out the kicker and attempt a field goal.

Since the game is regulated by time (60 minutes divided into two halftimes made up of two quarters each...15 minutes per quarter), there are precise moments of start and stoppage of play. 

The ball has to be snapped for a play to start and you have to have both teams in formation on their respective side of the line of scrimmage. When the play is completed, the referee has to get the ball and, after assessing whether or not there was any penalty, place it at the proper yard marker...if a first down was achieved, the first-down chain crew on the sidelines has to reposition themselves. 

While this is going on, the next play is being sent in for both the offensive team and defensive team...the offense has to decide whether to run or pass and what blocking scheme to use and the defense has to figure out whether to play for the run or a pass and whether to blitz and from where, or drop more people in coverage or put more people at the line to stop the run. Substitutions are made depending on the personnel required for a particular play.

All this in the 35 seconds allotted between downs. If the ball isn't snapped before the 35 seconds are up, then the offensive team gets a delay of game penalty and the ball is moved back 5 yards. Say it was first down and 10 yards to go...now it's first down and 15 yards to go.

So to complain about the stops and starts of the game after watching for 30 years is obstinate. This is not free form...if you didn't have the time between plays to sort out where the ball is and who has possession and regroup your players in the next formation, it would just be random chaos. 

If Americans can learn to appreciate your football, surely Brits of average intelligence should be able to discern why there needs to be a time allotted between plays in American football?

10 hours ago, Strider said:

Defense wins championships.

It's a truism as old as time. This is the eighth Super Bowl where the #1 scoring offense (Atlanta) will face the #1 scoring defense (New England).

In the seven previous Super Bowl matchups between the #1s, the #1 defense won all but one. The only time the #1 offense won was in 1990 when San Francisco crushed Denver 55-10.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/super-bowl-51-new-england-patriots-atlanta-falcons-number-1-defense-vs-offense-matchups-49ers-seahawks-packers-steelers-chiefs-giants-020117

Well it might happen again today.  The 49 teams were good on D but known for their offense.  That Bears team the guy referred to had one of the best defense's of all time.  Their front line was great like the Fearsome Foursome and the Purple People Eaters.   Baltimore won a Super Bowl with no offense.  As for that Seatte game, Seattle had them beat.  Carrol threw that game away.  And my money with it.    I need Atlanta to cash my future wager.  Go Falcons.   

3 minutes ago, ebk said:

No!!!  No commercials is not good for this game!  Most of the time, they're the best part :D 

Just a reminder to everyone - watch the Schuyler Sisters sing America the Beautiful before the game.  You don't have to watch anything else.  

I don't get that, commercials good for the game ? Commercials aren't good for anything, certainly not when they interrupt programming, even worse that a sporting event should be interrupted during play, thank fuck for recording devices and The BBC.

12 minutes ago, Strider said:

Thirty years and the concept of a play starting and ending still hasn't sunk in? It shouldn't be that difficult...my five year old niece picked it up in no time.

The team with the ball has to matriculate down the field to score a touchdown. They have a set of 'downs' (plays)...first down, second down, etc. If they gain 10 yards by the fourth down they earn a new set of downs. If on fourth down, they have not scored or gained the necessary 10 yards to maintain possession of the ball, then they can either go for it on fourth down, risking the other team taking over at that spot should they fail to gain the yardage necessary for a new first down. Or they can punt the ball to the other team, with the goal being to pin the other team as deep in its own territory as possible. Or, if the coach thinks they are in range, they can trot out the kicker and attempt a field goal.

Since the game is regulated by time (60 minutes divided into two halftimes made up of two quarters each...15 minutes per quarter), there are precise moments of start and stoppage of play. 

The ball has to be snapped for a play to start and you have to have both teams in formation on their respective side of the line of scrimmage. When the play is completed, the referee has to get the ball and, after assessing whether or not there was any penalty, place it at the proper yard marker...if a first down was achieved, the first-down chain crew on the sidelines has to reposition themselves. 

While this is going on, the next play is being sent in for both the offensive team and defensive team...the offense has to decide whether to run or pass and what blocking scheme to use and the defense has to figure out whether to play for the run or a pass and whether to blitz and from where, or drop more people in coverage or put more people at the line to stop the run. Substitutions are made depending on the personnel required for a particular play.

All this in the 35 seconds allotted between downs. If the ball isn't snapped before the 35 seconds are up, then the offensive team gets a delay of game penalty and the ball is moved back 5 yards. Say it was first down and 10 yards to go...now it's first down and 15 yards to go.

So to complain about the stops and starts of the game after watching for 30 years is obstinate. This is not free form...if you didn't have the time between plays to sort out where the ball is and who has possession and regroup your players in the next formation, it would just be random chaos. 

If Americans can learn to appreciate your football, surely Brits of average intelligence should be able to discern why there needs to be a time allotted between plays in American football?

Ah now I get it, that's what all those 35 second stops are for.....:unsure:...;)

45 minutes ago, JTM said:

I don't get that, commercials good for the game ? Commercials aren't good for anything, certainly not when they interrupt programming, even worse that a sporting event should be interrupted during play, thank fuck for recording devices and The BBC.

There will be news segments tomorrow strictly on who had the best commercial, who had the sorriest commercial, etc. These advertisers pay millions for a mere 30 second slot. It's a bit overboard.

48 minutes ago, JTM said:

She means the creativity of the commercials specifically designed to be premiered during the Super Bowl.  The game time garners the highest advertising $ amount for any tv show at any time of the year.

3 minutes ago, Walter said:

Me too.  I wanted to take Atlanta so badly, but him getting picked 2-3 times just won't leave my mind.

3 minutes ago, Walter said:

Me too.  I wanted to take Atlanta so badly, but him getting picked 2-3 times just won't leave my mind.

Maybe he'll surprise us, Walter. I'd much rather have a competitive game rather than a blowout.

19 minutes ago, Walter said:

She means the creativity of the commercials specifically designed to be premiered during the Super Bowl.  The game time garners the highest advertising $ amount for any tv show at any time of the year.

Thanks Walter.  I am, as usual, totally inarticulate :) 

2 hours ago, JTM said:

Alfred Hitchcock couldn't have said it better. :D

1 hour ago, jabe said:

There will be news segments tomorrow strictly on who had the best commercial, who had the sorriest commercial, etc. These advertisers pay millions for a mere 30 second slot. It's a bit overboard.

Makes me think that six months down the road people will remember the commercials more than they will remember who competed in the game. Watching Superbowl seems like the kind of event that is watched regardless of who ever is playing.

1 hour ago, Walter said:

Yes, it makes the news here, the BBC News have shown SB commercials (in part). Tonight's advertisers will probably get a mention, something like "Well while America here's about Beer let's talk tactics here on the BBC"...

Archived