Slate Chocolate Marble
Slate Chocolate Marble

Led Zeppelin Official Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Walter

2016 NFL Thread

984 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

But once again they gave NE the game.  I mean GAVE IT TO THEM.  Take a knee!!!!  Throw the damn ball out of bounds and kick the fucking FG.  Do not let the Zebras have anything to  do with it.  Sure enough, here comes a holding call.  The most subjective penalty in all of the major sports.  Another gift for NE.  

Good grief. Without the hold Ryan gets sacked and there is no throw to be caught. :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Good grief. Without the hold Ryan gets sacked and there is no throw to be caught. :rolleyes:

Your location tells me all I need to know

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember just a year or two ago, Belichek screwed up a call.  I think it was 4th down and rather than kick a field goal, they went for a pass and it cost them the game.  The media kept questioning him, and this finally led to his famous "it is what it is" line.

We don't really know why a coach calls a play sometimes.  I doubt immensely that Atlanta purposefully called bad plays.  BB even said the final Seattle play in the SuperBowl was one he might have called "just to catch the defense off guard and eat some more clock".  

I'll be ordering this one when it comes out on DVD.  I hope Atlanta stays hungry, start planning next year NOW.  Review the tapes, what could you have done differently, better, etc.  Matt Ryan always has been an overlooked but excellent QB.  Hopefully he gets his day in the sun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He had one great season, with a lot of prior chokes.  They lost their OC, which is huge, and they had a demoralizing loss.  I think it'll be very difficult for them to even repeat as division champs, let alone make the SB again next season.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 10:24 PM, SteveAJones said:

Good grief. Without the hold Ryan gets sacked and there is no throw to be caught. :rolleyes:

Seriously.  The defender was being clothes-lined, the fix would have been if holding wasn't called.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Your location tells me all I need to know

That's a rebuttal that fails to rebut. :rolleyes:

So many people out there struggling to accept REALITY

TOM BRADY HAS FIVE SUPER BOWL RINGS.

  

Edited by SteveAJones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Your location tells me all I need to know

Not to butt in, but what difference does Steve's location make? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2017 at 0:27 PM, the chase said:

Not to butt in, but what difference does Steve's location make? 

Japan is a baseball country.  Period.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:19 PM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Japan is a baseball country.  Period.  

What?! Japan has a number of professional sports leagues. Regardless, I'm not commenting on the Super Bowl as a Japanese sports enthusiast, I'm commenting on it as an American who has seen almost all of 51 of them telecast live. That said, in my opinion without the hold Ryan gets sacked and there is no throw to be caught. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not know why I even care at this point.  These teams owners and GM's are GOING TO DO WHAT THEY WANT.   Bottom line.  The fans get no vote.  And they screw it up over and over

ESPN has the AFC EAST broken down into what each team should do.  The one with the saddest commentary if the NY Jets.  Its says CLEAN HOUSE.    Well they do not say that about the Bills or Dolphins.  They say Miami should release Mario Williams.  Agree.  The Bills are likely to look for a new QB, but can they land one as good as Taylor this year?  If not, they are pretty much forced to sign him for two years, and hope for the best.  He is a dangerous guy when healthy.  He drives defenses crazy because of his running ability and ability to throw the ball deep on the run.   His weakness and criticism is the soft pass of 10-25 yards variety.  This is a mental challenge.  No physical.  So one would think he could overcome it.  Back to Miami, they say Tannehill should be resigned.  Of course.  And I do like their backup guy but I cant see him staying if he has a shot to start elsewhere, and he does IMO>  Much talk about New Englands backup guy.  I wont try and spell his name that starts with a G.  He could be more important than they think.   You know how y our eyes can be bigger than your stomach?  I think Brady thinks he is still 25.  He is going to find out he is not.  When you go into the off season in later years it catches up with you year after year.  We have seen it happen to many greats including Joe Montana.  Some try to say he is the best ever, Brady that is, because of the Super Bowl wins.  I am not so sure.  Its tough to compare him to Namath, Starr, Bradshaw, Montana and guys who have won.  Marino and Kelly were pretty damn good but did not win.   Kelly went to 4 straight Super Bowls.   That is one record Brady will never equal.  They have won 4 and gone to 6 I think.  But they are not really called a dynasty team because they did not win 3 in a row, EVER.   Not sure if they won 2 in a row.  The ones over the Rams, Carolina, Seattle and Atanta were all very lucky ones.  They are good at outsmarting teams.  But they do not physically dominate teams like the 85 Bears or the 1960's Packers did.  And lets throw Pittsburgh in too.  I wonder if the Vegas oddsmakers will try and bury the Falcons right away.  I do not see how you can.  They were no fluke.  I bet the Cowpokes will be co favorites with NE.  That is what I say. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

 Some try to say he is the best ever, Brady that is, because of the Super Bowl wins.  I am not so sure.  Its tough to compare him to Namath, Starr, Bradshaw, Montana and guys who have won.  Marino and Kelly were pretty damn good but did not win.   Kelly went to 4 straight Super Bowls.   That is one record Brady will never equal. They have won 4 and gone to 6 I think.  But they are not really called a dynasty team because they did not win 3 in a row, EVER.   Not sure if they won 2 in a row. The ones over the Rams, Carolina, Seattle and Atanta were all very lucky ones.  They are good at outsmarting teams.  But they do not physically dominate teams like the 85 Bears or the 1960's Packers did.  

You cannot be serious. It's tough to compare Brady to Namath, Starr, Bradshaw, Montana and "guys who have won". Let me help:

Montana is 10th All-Time Regular Season QB Wins (117-47 .713 winning % in 15 seasons).

Brady is 3rd All-Time Regular Season QB Wins (183-52 .779 winning % in 16 seasons).

However, with just four more victories Brady moves into #1 All-Time Wins & Winning %.

Montana won 4 SBs, but Brady won 5 SBs and played in 7.

Kelly did go to four straight SBs -- and LOST all four. I agree that is one record Brady will never equal, nor should he ever want to. The Patriots are widely considered a dynasty based on their SB success, not to mention their perennial playoff/AFC Championship appearances. FFS, no team ever won three straight SBs! Who cares if they don't physically dominate teams like the 85 Bears or the 1960s Packers ?! Those teams didn't win FIVE SBs!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Steve covered it but here's my 2 cents.  Sorry it's messy. From my phone.  Will clean it up later. 

Much talk about New Englands backup guy.  I wont try and spell his name that starts with a G.

 Garrapollo .. not positive on spelling either

 He could be more important than they think.  

I agree

You know how y our eyes can be bigger than your stomach?  I think Brady thinks he is still 25.  

People have been saying this for at least the last 4 years. He just keeps on coming back though..doesn't he...

He is going to find out he is not.  

Someday.. but who knows when

When you go into the off season in later years it catches up with you year after year.  We have seen it happen to many greats including Joe Montana.

True

 Some try to say he is the best ever, Brady that is, because of the Super Bowl wins.  I am not so sure.

He's certainly in the discussion. 

 Its tough to compare him to Namath, Starr, Bradshaw, Montana and guys who have won.  Marino and Kelly were pretty damn good but did not win.  

Kelly went to 4 straight Super Bowls.   That is one record Brady will never equal.  

Brady went to 3 of 4  (36 38 and 39) and won all of them.

They have won 4 and gone to 6 I think.

Close .. 7 and won FIVE

 But they are not really called a dynasty team because they did not win 3 in a row, EVER.  

Not sure if they won 2 in a row.  

They did..  2003 and 2004

The ones over the Rams, Carolina, Seattle and Atanta were all very lucky ones.  

Close games all of them

They are good at outsmarting teams.  

Absolutely 

But they do not physically dominate teams like the 85 Bears or the 1960's Packers did.  And lets throw Pittsburgh in too.  

They're smarter.. and better coached

I wonder if the Vegas oddsmakers will try and bury the Falcons right away.  I do not see how you can.  They were no fluke.

They came unglued and got tired.. 

 I bet the Cowpokes will be co favorites with NE.  That is what I say. 

 

Edited by the chase

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

You cannot be serious. It's tough to compare Brady to Namath, Starr, Bradshaw, Montana and "guys who have won". Let me help:

Montana is 10th All-Time Regular Season QB Wins (117-47 .713 winning % in 15 seasons).

Brady is 3rd All-Time Regular Season QB Wins (183-52 .779 winning % in 16 seasons).

However, with just four more victories Brady moves into #1 All-Time Wins & Winning %.

Montana won 4 SBs, but Brady won 5 SBs and played in 7.

Kelly did go to four straight SBs -- and LOST all four. I agree that is one record Brady will never equal, nor should he ever want to. The Patriots are widely considered a dynasty based on their SB success, not to mention their perennial playoff/AFC Championship appearances. FFS, no team ever won three straight SBs! Who cares if they don't physically dominate teams like the 85 Bears or the 1960s Packers ?! Those teams didn't win FIVE SBs!

Injuries matter.  Namath had the best arm I have ever seen and yes far better than Brady's.  Nobody could throw a bullet like Namath.  But he had terrible knees his entire career.  He had the best arm i have ever seen and I will go to my grave saying that.  

PS, best bomb tosser ever, Lamonica

Edited by LedZeppfan1977
add

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Injuries matter.  Namath had the best arm I have ever seen and yes far better than Brady's.  Nobody could throw a bullet like Namath.  But he had terrible knees his entire career.  He had the best arm i have ever seen and I will go to my grave saying that.  

PS, best bomb tosser ever, Lamonica

Granted, Brady's physique is average at best, but his will to win is second to none. How anyone can rate Namath (1 SB victory) above Brady (5 SB victories and a National Championship at the college level) is beyond me but fair enough.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone who says Namath was better than Brady should have their head (and urine) seriously checked!  He had more INT's than TD's in his career....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Granted, Brady's physique is average at best, but his will to win is second to none. How anyone can rate Namath (1 SB victory) above Brady (5 SB victories and a National Championship at the college level) is beyond me but fair enough.  

 

I said he had a better arm.   I did not rate him higher.  and the Jets were very limited

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Longevity matters. Consistency matters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, the chase said:

Longevity matters. Consistency matters. 

Yes but you have the argument as to whether their success is due more to a QB from Michigan or a coach that was a disciple of Parcells.  ?  I tend to give Brady a bit more of the credit because look at what happened when he was out.  Yes 3-1.  But the 1 was a 16-0 loss to my disfunctional Bills with a coach that is now gone, thank God.  Belecheck deserves a ton of credit no doubt.  Brady to me, his biggest asset is the ability to stay uninjured through this.  The rules protect the QB much more these days of course.  Do you remember Bradshaw getting body slammed by the Browns then pretty good defensive line?  That wil not happen in this day and age.  You really cant play defense any more like you used to.  And while I have you, did you see the Celtics get robbed last night at the end of the game?  That is officiating gone crazy.  Just like in football.  Personally I think Brady is kidding himself about playing as long as he says.  His wife for one thing will not put up with it and that means something as most of us can relate to.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tom Brady surely ranks with the all-time best quarterbacks, but you can't compare players from different eras.  Dick Butkus wouldn't play on 3rd downs today, but that doesn't mean he wasn't one of the best middle linebackers ever.  Paul Warfield got chucked and slammed in the head as he went down the field....Art Shell played at 260 lbs.....you can go on and on.  The off-season work-out for players 40-50 years ago was a real job.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Yes but you have the argument as to whether their success is due more to a QB from Michigan or a coach that was a disciple of Parcells.  ?  I tend to give Brady a bit more of the credit because look at what happened when he was out.  Yes 3-1.  But the 1 was a 16-0 loss to my disfunctional Bills with a coach that is now gone, thank God.  Belecheck deserves a ton of credit no doubt.  Brady to me, his biggest asset is the ability to stay uninjured through this.  The rules protect the QB much more these days of course.  Do you remember Bradshaw getting body slammed by the Browns then pretty good defensive line?  That wil not happen in this day and age.  You really cant play defense any more like you used to.  And while I have you, did you see the Celtics get robbed last night at the end of the game?  That is officiating gone crazy.  Just like in football.  Personally I think Brady is kidding himself about playing as long as he says.  His wife for one thing will not put up with it and that means something as most of us can relate to.  

No you're right.  Nobody said Brady did it all by himself... or Bellichick. Same goes for Namoth, Jim McMahon, both Mannings.. 

People keep trying to write Brady off. He's getting older,he will bottom out quickly etc.. He keeps coming back with little to no drop off physically and another year wiser. The Patriots are incredible at making real time adjustments. Alot of teams stick to their game. 

I did catch the end of the Celtics Bulls game. Shitty call. It happens all the time especially in the NBA.  But we can't have robots reffing games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is just ridiculous to claim that the Pat's wins over St Louis and Carolina were "lucky".  They did what they had to do to win those games (and had a 2 TD lead at one point against a very loaded Rams team).  Re. Seattle, you can talk about Carroll's decision to throw all you want, but the fact is Lynch getting stuffed the play before changed the calculus, it was not an obviously bad decision, although in hind-sight (always 20/20) it didn't work out so well.  (I'll grant Atlanta because so many improbable things have to go your way when you're down 25 late in the 3rd.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And even against ATL, they had to execute (without a key offensive weapon [Gronk]) when the Falcons made mistakes, it's not a gimme.  That game was more about Atlanta choking than NE getting lucky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, the chase said:

No you're right.  Nobody said Brady did it all by himself... or Bellichick. Same goes for Namoth, Jim McMahon, both Mannings.. 

People keep trying to write Brady off. He's getting older,he will bottom out quickly etc.. He keeps coming back with little to no drop off physically and another year wiser. The Patriots are incredible at making real time adjustments. Alot of teams stick to their game. 

I did catch the end of the Celtics Bulls game. Shitty call. It happens all the time especially in the NBA.  But we can't have robots reffing games. 

I happen to think the NFL is worse at consistently getting it wrong.  Too many "gray" rules exist.  Like holding and pass interference.  And those can kill a team .  i have seen more crap than I can stand and I am sick of them taking red flags away from coaches when any beer drinking Sunday fan at home can see the obvious.  In Europe they would be fucking stoned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This game has 22 players playing much quicker than they ever have and with more strength as well.  It's tough to officiate at ground level with all of those players at once.  Do they fuck up?  Of course.  

As much as some don't want to admit it, Brady is the #1 qb of all-time.  His record and the number of vastly different rosters he's done it with make him the GOAT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Los Angeles and Seattle washed away in storm deluge. 49ers predicted to win Super Bowl 52.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now