No Quarter live piano section....

Guest WD52

I understand that there are a variety of opinions on this topic, and for a variety of reasons, on this site . I really like the live versions of this song, mainly because it works so well with the piano/keyboard stuff in the middle. I listen to  a lot of piano based jazz- Ketil Bjornstad , Marcin Wasilewski Trio, Keith Jarrett and such like, as well as classical stuff (I'm listening to Horowitz recording of Schubert's Piano Sonata in B flat major while typing this!). So I like the way No Quarter switches to some piano wanderings alongside all the other colours in the song. 

There's some great ones; my favorite will always be 05/24/75 at Earl's Court.  I first heard this on a bootleg I bought in 1976, and it was quite a revelation at that time. Why Page didn't officially put it on the LZ "DVD" is beyond me. (it has been available on boot video for many years). I don't think JPJ ever topped this performance, from start to finish, he doesn't miss a note.  On the other hand, my buddy always "disses" JPJ because he's a big YES fan, and thinks Wakeman blows him away.  There's an old interview with JPJ in Keyboard Magazine (1977), and he states that while he "misses" the classical technique of the schooled keyboard players, he believed he could "make up for it" in other ways.

Wakeman does blow him away on keys of any variety. I recommend Awaken on Yes' Going For The One  to back to my statement up. 

But JPJ is no one trick pony. Virtuoso Bass Player, Virtuoso on keys and not really knowing what level of skill goes in to the mellotron (seriously, I don't) he handles that extremely well along with the 48 dollar upright bass, acoustic guitar and my favorite, the three neck acoustic instrument. I'm quoting some "Plantations".

Page was the driving force in the studio, a genius and so great an innovative thinker sometimes he was unsure if his vision could be fleshed out. JPJ was Jimmy's main "sounding board" , so I have read more than once by different biographers (not Cole). That say's an awful lot about JPJ's worth.

JPJ was just as vital a cog as any member of the band. If he left in 1974 it would have been a disaster. He'd certainly have been replaced by the illustrious Lita Ford and Liberace.

Tired. G'nite.  

Just check out the Wakeman solo medley on the 2007 "YES Live in Montreux" DVD.  Monster player. And Howe ain't half bad either; the solo of "To Be Over" on acoustic is genius in arrangement and execution. Howe is one of the few guitarists on Page's level, with respect  to coming up with great parts and arrangements, and finding unique tones for each song. Both monster 60's and 70's guitarists.  The difference was that after about '75, Jimmy got more interested in "recreational" acyivities;  while Howe was still practicing and improving his technique-right up to present day. Just look at his discography of solo albums from 1980 and on...

I do wonder sometimes  if he was told 'play until cued back in' given some of the (alleged)backstage proclivities of some of the band. 

I have to apologize for going off topic and I sincerely do. Guilty with an explanation is still guilty. I am sorry.

I think the NQ  key solos are limited to a few styles and many many embellishments . As Juxtiphi mentioned he could come up with a new composition every night.

You have you Boogie Woogie, The Jazzy One, the one that is inspired by the album or SRS version . And alas the classical Nutrocker. He often (seemingly to me anyway) is prone to meandering on those. This is less prevalent on the Boogie Woogie  and has the most straight forward approach and direction. But again many nuances on all. And all great. By 77 the band had that number down pretty well but Snowblind 3/20/ 75 and some others from 75 are truly remarkable.

From 75 and 77 tour NQ is my favorite epic live track, Dazed and Confused can be too long at times, rarely get that feeling from NQ.

6/7/77 Magical Boogie is a favorite just love it, Boogie Woogie ,no BS . Jimmy just goes for it and they really go at it. 

5/21/77 Dragon Snake is unique , Jimmy seems to slither in ever so slowly before trying to strangle the keys , subtle to intense. Certainly not boogie woogie but a yet a hybrid of sorts

7/7/77 Conquering the Kingdome has it's merits despite sound a bit disjointed at times. Many love the "Dogs Of Doom" refrain but the original  SRS version albeit half the length send shivers up my spine. No doubt the travelers have crossed the river, it's what I get anyways.

The LA Forum run from 77 features some of the best NQs especially 6/23 and I think Bonzo really tries to force the direction but yet he still holds the section together. In fact in so many incantations of NQ Bonzo seems to pilot the ship.

5/24/75, for me was always a great one. It is basically on the money and JPJ seemingly hits every note (as mentioned) but I always seem to reach for 5/25  because I loooove that Stairway and those  blistering encores. They left it all on the stage that night.

The extended piano version  of NQ rarely disappoints and "wondering" is certainly valid given the excesses of the 77 tour.  

Archived