Recording Times

anniemouse

LZI was recorded in a total of 30 hours. the other albums would be hard to pinpoint how many hours were spent on recording because for example LZII was recorded while they were on tour so it wasn't all done at the same studio or in a short period of time. it was stretched out over about eight months iirc.

Thank you for the information. What I was trying to understand is that Led Zeppelin seemed to work at great speed. This seemed to be also true of The Beatles et al. I sort of get confused when bands take years to record an LP. Also as Zep were perfectionists it seems even more remarkable at the speed they worked.

11 hours ago, anniemouse said:

Thank you for the information. What I was trying to understand is that Led Zeppelin seemed to work at great speed. This seemed to be also true of The Beatles et al. I sort of get confused when bands take years to record an LP. Also as Zep were perfectionists it seems even more remarkable at the speed they worked.

recording was a lot different back then. there was really no post facto editing. it was basically; record a track if you like it keep it. vocals, drums, bass, guitar, organ, overdubs ect... then you mix it all into the master. editing was done with a razor blade and tape so as you could imagine, there was very little room for error. as well as the fact that with tapes it isn't as easy to rerecord on as it is with something recorded digitally. the more you record over something on tape, the more worn down the tape gets, where as on a computer you can just hit delete then rerecord as many times as you like. also a lot of bands get hung up on recording now a days because it is so easy to make millions of little adjustments after its all been recorded. if you listen to led zeppelin albums you can hear john bonhams drum sticks clacking together, his bass pedal squeaking, string noise from jimmy moving his hands on the guitar, robert plant breathing into the mic ect.... all things that people would spend a lot of time removing nowadays. 

Interesting but that is what to me makes a track for want of a better term breathe. I have this theory that a lot of modern guitar bands sound cold because of digital recording. Classic records are as much about feel as technique.

5 hours ago, anniemouse said:

Interesting but that is what to me makes a track for want of a better term breathe. I have this theory that a lot of modern guitar bands sound cold because of digital recording. Classic records are as much about feel as technique.

I know what you mean and I agree somewhat. nowadays most bands have recordings that don't have that raw sound. it is not entirely attributed to being digitally recorded (because anyone who says they can tell the difference between a new digital recording and high quality analog is full of it) but to artists and producers getting caught up in trying to get really really clean tracks which is much more achievable with digital. there are a lot of factors though.

Archived