Best Song Remains the Same

rm2551

I have searched and gone back 5 pages of live forum, no result - so me thinks this might be worthy to post...

What is the BEST TSRTS live version?

The Eddie one is an absolute favorite of mine for the unbeatable BEAST drum intro - but overall favorite? - not sure - in the future when they make the boot sound like your NEXT to the band, it no doubt will be (this will happen, I just hope I am here to see it!). The quality of the boot is incredibly important (clarity of soundboard or outstanding AUD recording).

So - whats your ranking - lets say top 3 - TSRTS - with reason. It might be it set up a particularly EPIC show. It may be that the track standing alone is the best ever in your view.

Waddayareckon?

This is one song that Zeppelin just didn't improvise enough to make worthy for going out of one's way to check out other versions. But always an enjoyable song to hear during shows.. My favorite is probably Seattle ~ March 17, 1975 just because I love how Plant sings "Hear my song.. Seattle, won't you listen now? Sing along, yeah.." lol.

The Studio Version on the reissue is an audiophiles dream . It's perfectly executed too. I play both SRS and RS at extremely high volume on my home . I also play SRS instrumental as a prelude to RS. Great listening 

It is among my favorites but varies little when played live except an occasional lyric change as said already.

Its a seemingly complex song and not easy to play live  especially as an opener.

Winstons Seattle 73 and the early Japanese ones Zep and The Campaign come to mind in addition The Grand Finale 7-29-73 too. Millards 75 & 77 are great. Long Beach 75 is replete with bum notes or "sticky fingers". No matter JPJ , is wicked on the bass

The live versions are often flubbed a bit but it's of no consequence. Love JPJ bass work so the bottom heavy live versions are favored.

Just love the song but the studio version trumps them all for me

5/30/77 is my favorite, and I've listened to all of the versions with decent sound quality. Some from the LA '77 and NYC '77 run come close, but that is the best to my ears. Power and looseness, healthy mix of both.

Not bad eh? Bonus points for changing their sound from the '73 and '75 norm. Was a great sound but was getting old.

The version I have seems to have more bottom than that, idk, maybe its youtube

Edited by Dirty Work

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
On 5/1/2022 at 4:22 PM, JohnOsbourne said:

Definitely.  

That one is just pure Jimmy Page magic. I typically am not crazy about Plant's vocals on the 73 Euro tour, but thankfully he manages to keep it together for this song and not wreck it with a lot of cracks and squeaks. The thing just flys by and is the closest thing we have to my ears that recaptures the magic of the studio version. 

Some other top versions:

Bradford 73 - requires serious bootleg ears

Pittsburgh 73 - if a soundboard of this one ever surfaces, it could be revealed as GOAT as Plant sounds amazing and Page is at the "peak of the July peak" imo 

MSG July 28 - nostalgia bias? lol maybe, I don't care

MSG July 29 - my pick for 3rd best live version ever, behind Offenberg and PIttsburgh

Honorable mentions:

Milwaukee 73 - energy level through the roof, Page is going nuts but I think I hear some slop here and there; Plant is also sounding good, this is a hugely enjoyable listen

MSG 2-7-75 - a nice combo of fast tempo and killer atmosphere, Page on this one is as fluid as he gets in 75; Robert is not in great voice as per usual for this year but thankfully isn't cracking or squeaking; for some reason I find him bearable here; this one has that "it" quality, a personal favorite

Earl's Court 5/25 - fast n furious, Plant's vocal botches are kept to a minimum , as good as this song gets in 75

Edited by 1975NQ

On 3/26/2016 at 8:55 AM, reswati said:

The Stoke-On-Trent version from 1973 is quite appealing, the drumming is precize yet over the top.

Yeah, I like his drumming here too. He's playing with an incredible amount of restraint, like on much of this tour, but you can feel a palpable sense of intensity behind it, like at any minute he could just go off lol. Pagey is playing somewhat restrained on this version too, giving the whole thing a very martial ("The Campaign") feel, but it works well and he opens up towards the end and really lets the fingers fly. This is actually a really nice show and would be one of the best of the tour if it weren't for Plant. Maybe it's my imagination, but I think I hear his voice warming up a bit through this version of SRTS, and he opens up a bit more on the following "Rain Song", strategizing on those chances he takes so they pay off. A very English performance (this is meant as a compliment, this tour and the 71 UK tour are two of my favs).

Edited by 1975NQ

Lot of votes for 6/21/1977. My personal fave as well. Jimmy is playing great and Bonzo is insane. Love Bonzo's drum intro and Jimmy's chords before it begins. Love the break just before "Sing out Hare, Hare" with JP and JB. It's a killer part of this version. Many other great versions from MSG in 73, Japan 1972 as well as Offenburg and Stoke in 73.

46 minutes ago, SuperDave said:

Lot of votes for 6/21/1977. My personal fave as well. Jimmy is playing great and Bonzo is insane. Love Bonzo's drum intro and Jimmy's chords before it begins. Love the break just before "Sing out Hare, Hare" with JP and JB. It's a killer part of this version. Many other great versions from MSG in 73, Japan 1972 as well as Offenburg and Stoke in 73.

If you like the Stoke 73 version, check out Bradford from that tour, played a few nights later 1/18/73. It's their best night of the tour imho. Robert struggles a bit in the beginning but then warms up really nicely. It's not an easy listen in terms of audio, but with decent headphones it's worth the investment!

23 hours ago, 1975NQ said:

If you like the Stoke 73 version, check out Bradford from that tour, played a few nights later 1/18/73. It's their best night of the tour imho. Robert struggles a bit in the beginning but then warms up really nicely. It's not an easy listen in terms of audio, but with decent headphones it's worth the investment!

I have that show and agree it's a bit rough.