Jimmy Page vs. Jimi Hendrix

Marmalade_Skies

11 hours ago, chef free said:

Jimi played sitar.  Cherokee mist, 1968.

Plus, unlike Jimmy, Jimi used his dick...behind his back. No picks for Jimi. That man knew how to play BALLSY!

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 4:52 PM, The Rover 75 said:

Hendrix invented Electric Guitar, as we know it today, It's ok to come in 2nd in this poll 'nuff said.

Jimi Hendrix did not invent the Electric Guitar.  I do not know how or where you came to that conclusion.  The first Electric Guitar was first modernized by Les Paul.  Les Paul may not have actually invented the Electric Guitar but he was one of, if not the first, to make the Electric Guitar a modern staple that would eventually change the course of History. 

7 hours ago, kingzoso said:

Jimi Hendrix did not invent the Electric Guitar.  I do not know how or where you came to that conclusion.  The first Electric Guitar was first modernized by Les Paul.  Les Paul may not have actually invented the Electric Guitar but he was one of, if not the first, to make the Electric Guitar a modern staple that would eventually change the course of History. 

I believe Rover meant that Jimi re-invented how electric guitar was played and could be played. Jimi was the first to go batshit with the tremolo, he was the first to use distortion & effects to such a degree to obtain the sound he wanted. He was the first guitarist who could play well that also projected such intensity & sexuality to the crowd. Clapton & McCartney were just as blown away by Jimi's stage presence as they were by his virtuosity.

Jimi was the triple threat as a guitarist akin to the triple treat in theatre, Jimi could play very, very well, he could write, and he could project. No other guitarist before him could do all three, not even close.

26 minutes ago, IpMan said:

he was the first to use distortion & effects to such a degree to obtain the sound he wanted.

Well that sounds like a real stretch to me. Certainly guitarists had been using distortion and effects long before Hendrix came along, and Dave Davies' guitar tone in "You Really Got Me" practically set the standard for the rock guitar distortion sound, not to mention the pioneering guitar effects and technique utilized by The Ventures in the early 60's. You could argue that he pushed the envelope in this respect, but to say he was the first, that's grasping at straws.

4 hours ago, Balthazor said:

Well that sounds like a real stretch to me. Certainly guitarists had been using distortion and effects long before Hendrix came along, and Dave Davies' guitar tone in "You Really Got Me" practically set the standard for the rock guitar distortion sound, not to mention the pioneering guitar effects and technique utilized by The Ventures in the early 60's. You could argue that he pushed the envelope in this respect, but to say he was the first, that's grasping at straws.

That's why I said "to such a degree." Hendrix was in fact, the first guitarist in the public eye to do such acrobatics and sound effects in the ways he did. At least as far as I know, I may be wrong so if someone has examples of another guitarist going what Jimi did before Jimi, please let me know.

4 hours ago, Balthazor said:

I don't understand comparing Hendrix to others when you have such limited knowledge of his work and his story. Discrediting JH by way of listening to as little of his music as possible and not understanding the context in which he created just doesn't work. 

17 hours ago, IpMan said:

That's why I said "to such a degree." Hendrix was in fact, the first guitarist in the public eye to do such acrobatics and sound effects in the ways he did. At least as far as I know, I may be wrong so if someone has examples of another guitarist going what Jimi did before Jimi, please let me know.

Ok that makes sense. The way you phrased it originally I think led me to take a different interpretation than you'd meant.

17 hours ago, Badgeholder Still said:

I don't understand comparing Hendrix to others when you have such limited knowledge of his work and his story. Discrediting JH by way of listening to as little of his music as possible and not understanding the context in which he created just doesn't work. 

You're making some rather unfounded assertions there, "such limited knowledge", "listening to as little of his music as possible", "not understanding the context". All I've said is " I'm not a huge Hendrix fan and so have not listened to his material as extensively as I have Zeppelin's." I've listened to most of what he's done enough times to be entitled to an opinion. And nobody is "discrediting" anyone. All I've done is challenge assertions which I considered to be, well, questionable. Such as that he "invented" rock guitar, or that he was the first to use distortion and effects (although in that case, as I mentioned above, I think it was more of a misunderstanding). People sometimes talk as though the electric guitar wasn't even a thing until Hendrix came a long and showed it to everyone, like Moses descending Mount Sinai with the tablets, which if anything discredits the work and innovation of all those who came before him. Certainly his work was massively innovative and influential, that's indisputable, but there were plenty of innovative and influential guitarists before him as well as during his time, some of which Hendrix was influenced by himself. It's well established that Hendrix admired and was influenced by the work Clapton and Beck were doing in the 60's, just as it's well established that Clapton and Beck admired him and were likely influenced by him as well. Nothing exists in a vacuum, but there's this odd attitude that before Hendrix there was this great void of nothing, then Hendrix came along and we had rock guitar, which I just think is bunk.

I'm a giant fan of both guitarists, and I'm not going to get into who's better, they are both brilliant, imaginative and influential. The one big difference, to me, is how utterly professional Jimmy Page is compared to Hendrix. Jimi would get moody, have no set list, just see what happens at gigs, whereas Jimmy had a plan and brought it big time every night. Zeppelin practically invented the two hour show, and everyone else had to keep up, Jimi included

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/12/2016 at 0:17 PM, IpMan said:

I believe Rover meant that Jimi re-invented how electric guitar was played and could be played. Jimi was the first to go batshit with the tremolo, he was the first to use distortion & effects to such a degree to obtain the sound he wanted. He was the first guitarist who could play well that also projected such intensity & sexuality to the crowd. Clapton & McCartney were just as blown away by Jimi's stage presence as they were by his virtuosity.

Jimi was the triple threat as a guitarist akin to the triple treat in theatre, Jimi could play very, very well, he could write, and he could project. No other guitarist before him could do all three, not even close.

Yes, that is correct IpMan, that's exactly what I meant.

kingzoso, I am quite aware of the electric guitar's history, I play one thanks.

I have a simple test -- I listen and whatever moves the most, whatever is soothing to my ears, heart, mind - wins..

I like Hendrix, but I rather listen Jimmy play. I think he's the greatest guitar ever.

... going to listen to "Achilles Last Stand" - so much emotion, it's too much sometimes, so much greatness for over 10 minutes.. I wish I could thank him somehow.

• 1 month later...

This is a very hard question.

It's very hard to compare them... Jimi Hendrix was certanly great, and nothing like anybody else. He mostly played the blues and psychedelic rock. And sang. And he was the frontman of the JHE and the co-frontman of the Band of Gypsys.

Pagey came later, played all kind of music, a bit of psychedelic with the Yardbirds, rock, hard rock, a bit of blues, those folky-acoustic stuff with Zeppelin.. and didn't sing. And he was "only" a member(even if the founding member and producer-which is another thing Hendrix didn't do), so he had to work together with them more, he couldn't just do what he wanted. It was a longer period he played in who knows what Hendrix would have done if he'd stayed alive? I find Jimmy has a bigger range of things he can play, and even if you pick just one of his styles, it's not as mind-blowing as Hendrix's, but seeing all of his works is more than Hendrix's. 

So I'll choose Jimmy Page. :wub: But this doesn't meen I don't love Hendrix a lot too!;)

• 2 months later...

Both of these guys are Titans.  I think Page was a little more versatile in terms of writing music and musical style. Hendrix rewrote the rule book on how to play an electric guitar.  The guy was full of blues, soul, and psychedelic riffs, and jams. Love 'em both.  

I am also a huge Eddie Van Halen fan, as well. Eddie is famous for his tapping (which is awesome), but the guy could write a riff, play rhythm, and exploit harmonics like nobody else.  

As one said, they are 1a and 1b.  Everyone else is well behind in my opinion  

Both were highly creative and reached deep in their success.  Songs like Little Wing are simply mind boggling in its intricacies or his solo in All Along the Watch Tower.  Hendrix didn't seem to ever want to remain on the same vibe even in single song, his brain constantly turning over something different.  While Page didn't want to remain static on an album or across his career in terms of sounds and breaking out of the mold that others cast.

I also believe Page was more structured, more concerned with being a conductor and laying down perfection while Hendrix was in constant free form.  There are arguments to be made on either side, such as the fact I believe Hendrix was already plateuing when he left the Band of Gypsies.  He has fillers in his albums, Page didn't.  Page was smart enough to surround himself with a complete band, it wasn't The Jimmy Page Show.  This added to his strength.  I don't take away from Hendrix at all, he was the victim in some ways of the marketing ambitions of the label rather than being the catalyst of something larger as a whole, Mitch Mitchell was a great drummer, but other than on Fire (where he tears the skins), I didn't see the rest of the band being particularly vital.

In the end it's always about personal preference or ones mood.  it's far to difficult to compare any number of guitarists especially ones as creative as these two. 

• 1 month later...
On 09/05/2016 at 11:52 PM, IpMan said:

To me the consummate songs which scream Hendrix at his peak are Voodoo Chile & Machine Gun.

Spooky, I would have mentioned the exact same two songs.  In terms of his best work though, I believe Little Wing is his Stairway to Heaven.  Where that cosmic creativity fused with something only he could find.  One of those songs where you can visualize him just strumming alone on the couch one day, channelling something in a rare moment and then working it through later without much of a change in mood.

The argument is moot,  If I were choosing to hear the electric guitar only, to me Jimi just embodies the limits of the instrument (until the "next" one comes around).  In terms of overall song writing and broader playing, I prefer Page.  In the end, both guitarists tap into the emotion of the instrument like no other.  

• 2 years later...

The only fair way to compare these great talents are at the time that Hendrix was alive and relevant---Lets take the years 66-71-- -Although Hendrix had some great songs out,he couldn't even come close to the popularity of Zeppelin--Page was flying high in popularity ,while Hendrix was a virtuoso. As far as the early days for both,Page was more of a prominent in demand studio musician who played on many albums and soundtracks including one he wrote on his own with Death Wish II. He played on the Goldfinger 007 soundtrack ,Rolling Stones,Who,Donovan, and many more -Hendrix in the early days was lost and struggling and started doing back up for some Motown artists before his break out. Although Jimi started the Rock electric guitar sound,it was Page who blew the door open exposed the Heavens-Page's playing is more intense and emotional and Hendrix is more bold----all in all--Page edges him out in a shout out-just a fact---Both are in a league of their own,and both will never be duplicated ,but always imitated

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 6:58 PM, Balthazor said:

Hendrix himself stated that surf rock was a big influence on him didn't he? around the same time as well Syd Barrett was playing some very loud/disordered guitar on tracks like Interstellar Overdrive.

I do think Page was much closer to Hendrix than the likes of Clapton were, how much of that was influence of the latter on the former and how much was the two of them having similar influences is hard to say. Both I think valued classic rock n roll and RnB(and proto funk like James Brown) just as highly as they did blues and were obviously more open to expenaise psychedelic sounds. Theres obviously a lot unique in Zep as well but earlier on especially I think you could argue they were filling the gap left by Hendrix inactivity and then death.

• 2 years later...
On 4/3/2016 at 10:58 PM, Lmy said:

Hendrix was better technically than Page. However, does not match Page as a producer, composer and writer along with being fabulous guitar player.

EXACTLY !  

After the 1st sentence  >ya nailed it!

Technically better ?? 

Edited by z1inspector
I forgot to address the 1st part

I like them both and don't really see the sense in comparing them. They both had different approaches to how they played their instrument. Jimi Hendrix would sound wrong performing Achilles Last Stand, and Jimmy Page would sound wrong performing Voodoo Child (Slight Return).  

• 7 months later...

Well, hello! 😁

Sorry about the nick and avatar but it is the same one I have used on all forums, all motorcyle related though.

I have around 40 Zep boots on CD and of course have listened to more on the youtube channels. As for Hendrix I have close to 40 shows from him too. Been listening to both bands/ artists since mid 90s. Gotta point out here I am no musician!

First of all it is difficult to separate the comparison between Hendrix and Page and The Experience and Zep. Where one ends the other starts but a poll like this can be fun as it can help one to write down his opinions and observations about the two and bring them into discussion. All we need is some background noise and a pint, don't you agree?

The band... it can be said that Page had a much better band around him than Jimi and that helped him resonate with them in the right way. Page was also able to reach his top as a player, composer, and producer whereas Jimi's career was cut short. I think Jimi was just learning the studio work proper and was going into an interesting direction in early 70s but we never got to see it really. He was appalingly managed as well unlike Page/ Zep. I like "The Experience Mk II" the best on Jimi's side. Redding was not that good on the bass but Mitch was OK behind the drums and coud follow Jimi's leads well. Cox was an improvement.

Yet, if I was asked which one I would like to SEE play the answer would be Jimi. I mean his playing is so effortless compared to anyone I have seen and, in the scope of this comparison, compared to Page. Jimi leaned back, closed his eyes and the combined lead/ rhythm guitar combination just flowed from his spine to his fingertips. Just recently watched RAH from Jimi and have seen both EC 75 shows from Zep within a year.

I guess what I am trying to figure out here is that I guess I think Zep really is the Hammer of The Gods vs. virtuous Jimi and his Experience but Page on his own just wouldn’t do it, most likely. I can say this even with having a strong Zep phase ongoing as I have been pulled back into listening to boots, haha.

As it has been said here Page had more discipline and preparation going into his shows but what Jimi got was vastly more practice hours. The guy never left his guitar and it really showed. His palette was huge. He could turn up on a stage and figure out there and then what to play. Of course, it did not work that well all the time. The brutal honesty in his improvisational work is what appeals to me. Zep impro had to be better practiced as it usually was an interplay with at least two band members but usually all four. That really made a good show (and a long one) as they could deliver almost 10/10.

Someone here had listened to Machine Gun from Band of Gypsys and it hadn’t worked for him. Well as a Zep fan he/ she has got to be a blues fan too. My all time favourite Hendrix live outtake is from the first Berkeley show 1970. Hear My Train A Comin’. Max out the volume and let the notes flow... a lot of things are happening there. Can be found on the album Blues in Spotify too. It is the last track.

Anyway, where was I… Oh yes, Jimi.

P.S. What if Jimi had not died and Page had produced and album for him? Now, there's a thought!

Edited by JMH

I’ve always just accepted Jimi Hendrix is the GOAT and I still believe he was in another world in the late 60’s. With that said, if you look at Page’s body of work up to him being 27 years old, it’s hard to deny him at least a share of that crown. Amazing studio and live work from Pagey. What a fertile time in the world of guitar and music as a whole.