Jeff Lynne's ELO

chillumpuffer

On 4/11/2016 at 0:11 AM, Strider said:

Is there anyone besides Jeff Lynne from the original band? Still thinking about going to the Hollywood Bowl show.

Not sure Sean. I think one of the keyboard players maybe but I didn't score a programme and didn't quite catch the intros. His band were excellent. 

8 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

Not sure Sean. I think one of the keyboard players maybe but I didn't score a programme and didn't quite catch the intros. His band were excellent. 

Jeff Lynne along with ELO member Richard Tandy were backed by non other than the backing band of....(ahem, can't believe I'm typing this) Take That/ Gary Barlow.

1 hour ago, JTM said:

Jeff Lynne along with ELO member Richard Tandy were backed by non other than the backing band of....(ahem, can't believe I'm typing this) Take That/ Gary Barlow.

Really? Should have a smoke before taking my seat. To be honest man I didn't know and couldn't really care if they were Rick Astley's backing band. As I have said they were excellent and Jeff was tremendous. Thanks for that JTM;)

59 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

Really? Should have a smoke before taking my seat. To be honest man I didn't know and couldn't really care if they were Rick Astley's backing band. As I have said they were excellent and Jeff was tremendous. Thanks for that JTM;)

ELO though not really my cup of tea that Hyde Park? performance on the Beeb awhile back was pretty good.

51 minutes ago, JTM said:

ELO though not really my cup of tea that Hyde Park? performance on the Beeb awhile back was pretty good.

To be honest JTM they never did it for me in the 70's. Loved the long hair and beards look but i didn't get the classical/rock thing. However no mistaking Jeff's songwriting ability and his past is as solid as anyone. I also didn't know Jeff Produced Tom Petty's "Full Moon Fever" album, which is a classic. Yes it was Hyde Park

I saw a video of the performance which I believe was Hyde Park a while back on what used to be the Palladia channel, & it was thoroughly enjoying. I will agree that ELO is not for everyone, but if you keep an open mind, it was a quite good show.

On 4/11/2016 at 7:16 AM, chillumpuffer said:

Whilst not being the biggest fan, Mrs CP is the biggie, last evening at The Manchester Arena, they were fantastic. I recommend them highly if you can score a ticket

Chill,

Forgive me for asking, not being smart, just asking because I don't understand, I have ELO albums, is there a difference between ELO and  Jeff Lynne's ELO? Or were you just using a turn of phrase? 

13 hours ago, Charles J. White said:

Chill,

Forgive me for asking, not being smart, just asking because I don't understand, I have ELO albums, is there a difference between ELO and  Jeff Lynne's ELO? Or were you just using a turn of phrase? 

No difference except the band. I assume for contractual reasons, Jeff lynne can't just call his band ELO. I also think Bev Bevan may have toured with another reincarnation of ELO calling it, not surprisingly, Bev Bevan's ELO.

2 hours ago, Houses of the Holy said:

No, it was called ELO II. Mistakenly ordered the latter's album when I wanted JL's incarnation. 

My Dad bought me the ELO II album for an xmas present, what a complete bag of utter shite it was, straight to the charity shop,

• 4 months later...
On April 11, 2016 at 6:13 PM, Ddladner said:

My son just told me this weekend that he would love to see them live.  Sadly, they are nowhere in our area. 

Happy to be taking my son to see ELO at the Hollywood Bowl this Friday night.  When there's a will, there's a way. ;) 

On April 14, 2016 at 9:33 AM, chillumpuffer said:

To be honest JTM they never did it for me in the 70's. Loved the long hair and beards look but i didn't get the classical/rock thing. However no mistaking Jeff's songwriting ability and his past is as solid as anyone. I also didn't know Jeff Produced Tom Petty's "Full Moon Fever" album, which is a classic. Yes it was Hyde Park

Lynne also was the co-writer with Joe Walsh on his most recent release.  A great disc and Walsh said he never could've made without Lynne.  Worth checking out, if you haven't already.  ✌?️

• 2 weeks later...

ELO at the Hollywood Bowl, 9-9-16.  The night opened with a lovely classical set by the Hollywood Bowl orchestra, who would also back ELO for the evening.  19,000 exuberant fans, and Jeff Lynne sounding as good as ever.  Watching the concert with my son and forum friend, Strider, priceless.  A couple of my favorites from the night.  The fireworks finale was pretty cool, too.

That violin :wub: