Terry Reid Story

Stryder1978

his second album (sometimes referred to as silver white light, sometime terry reid) is a superb affair marred only by a terrible mix. if it had been the hands of someone more capable it would be a genuine classic

2 hours ago, jsj said:

his second album (sometimes referred to as silver white light, sometime terry reid) is a superb affair marred only by a terrible mix. if it had been the hands of someone more capable it would be a genuine classic

"Silver White Light" is the title of Reids 'Live at the Isle of Wight 1970' album his second album is  titled "Terry Reid".

This is the first I've ever heard that Terry Reid also recommended Bonham to Page. I always thought it was Plant, but obviously not. Maybe Plant also recommended Bonham as well, but I wonder if Page was going to check out Bonham before Plant's recommending him (if he did)?  Love to hear Page's take on this... For example, did Page first mention to Plant that he was going to be checking out Bonham for the drums and did Plant say, 'oh yeah he's fantastic', or did Plant actually recommend Bonham 'before' knowing he was already recommended by Reid for for the job?

Plant has always taken responsibility for suggesting Bonham as the drummer, now, Im not so sure. Interesting.

Just now, jsj said:

It makes you wonder how Reid's career would have turned out if he had accepted the lead singer gig with The New Yardbirds. His singing and songwriting talents combined with Page's skills as a guitar player and producer could have resulted in a great musical partnership.  Add John Paul Jones' arranging and bass playing skills and Peter Grant's fiercely protective management.  Grant would have found a way to get Reid out of his contract with Mickie Most.  

4 hours ago, Disco Duck said:

It makes you wonder how Reid's career would have turned out if he had accepted the lead singer gig with The New Yardbirds. His singing and songwriting talents combined with Page's skills as a guitar player and producer could have resulted in a great musical partnership.  Add John Paul Jones' arranging and bass playing skills and Peter Grant's fiercely protective management.  Grant would have found a way to get Reid out of his contract with Mickie Most.  

Food for thought there Disco, but what would you rather have, what we got or what  might have been. I like Terry Reid a lot in fact I owned a Terry Reid record before I owned a Led Zeppelin record, but to be honest I don't think Terry would have "cut the mustard", things would have quickly fizzled out.

20 hours ago, JTM said:

Food for thought there Disco, but what would you rather have, what we got or what  might have been. I like Terry Reid a lot in fact I owned a Terry Reid record before I owned a Led Zeppelin record, but to be honest I don't think Terry would have "cut the mustard", things would have quickly fizzled out.

I agree, would have lasted maybe two albums. Terry is kinda a Roy Harper type, very talented but seems to sabotage his own career as soon as fame begins to loom.

3 hours ago, IpMan said:

I agree, would have lasted maybe two albums. Terry is kinda a Roy Harper type, very talented but seems to sabotage his own career as soon as fame begins to loom.

At which point, Reid would have either left voluntarily or Page would have fired him.  But during his tenure in Led Zeppelin, he would have had the benefit of working with musicians whose talent equaled his own and a manager who didn't let anyone cheat his boys.  

• 1 month later...
On 18/04/2016 at 11:18 AM, SuperDave said:

Just imagine if Terry had accepted one of these offers.....things would be different and Zeppelin certainly wouldn't have been as great!

Reid was a decent songwriter. I think with Reid in the band, that first album would have been vastly different.

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 8:18 PM, SuperDave said:

Just imagine if Terry had accepted one of these offers.....things would be different and Zeppelin certainly wouldn't have been as great!

If Terry Reid accepted Jimmy Page's offer and was the lead singer of Led Zeppelin, then the Led Zeppelin that is now considered the "Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the History of Planet Earth", would not be the same as all of US know and Love it.  It was "fate" and "history" that brought the four of Them together.  Jimmy Page knew this from the first time He and Peter Grant scouted out Robert Plant. 

The rest is Rock and Roll History and probably the Greatest single event in the history of Rock and Roll (been a long time)....

Have to chime in on this. As a Led Zeppelin fan, I am glad that the lead singer gig went to Robert because his glorious voice and charisma were so perfect for, and are so ingrained in the Led Zeppelin sound and vision we know and love.  And Robert's  writing contributions, like in Thank You for example, are lovely too.

On the other hand, being a big fan of Terry Reid and his beautiful smoky voice and exotic vibe/writing, I sure wish we could have a glimpse into a dual universe where we could hear and see what Terry being a part of Led Zeppelin would have created.

On 18/04/2016 at 6:53 PM, Disco Duck said:

At which point, Reid would have either left voluntarily or Page would have fired him.  But during his tenure in Led Zeppelin, he would have had the benefit of working with musicians whose talent equaled his own and a manager who didn't let anyone cheat his boys.  

Terry Reid's career was stalled after leaving Mickie Most with contractual issues. There were allegations Most ripped him off and Reid was also unhappy with the material Most asked him to record. I think if Reid had Grant as a manager, he would have been better off as a solo artist, if not a member of Led Zeppelin.

14 hours ago, Versus said:

Terry Reid's career was stalled after leaving Mickie Most with contractual issues. There were allegations Most ripped him off and Reid was also unhappy with the material Most asked him to record. I think if Reid had Grant as a manager, he would have been better off as a solo artist, if not a member of Led Zeppelin.

Mickie Most is to blame for a lot of unfortunate things that Page and Grant quite purposefully separated themselves from during the dissolution of the Yardbirds.  Most is responsible for Jeff Beck leaving the Yardbirds and striking out solo; for the ruination of Little Games; and then would not release Reid to join up in Page and Grant's venture which by then included Jones.   The Yardbirds were scarcely receiving a dime for their efforts under Most's management, which led to Most labeling Page "a troublemaker" for protesting the situation.  Most went on to rip off Beck, too, according to Beck in that authorized biography that came out a couple of years back.  So it's no surprise at all to read that Most mismanaged and ripped off Terry Reid, too.

On 6/1/2016 at 5:23 PM, Mercurious said:

Mickie Most is to blame for a lot of unfortunate things that Page and Grant quite purposefully separated themselves from during the dissolution of the Yardbirds.  Most is responsible for Jeff Beck leaving the Yardbirds and striking out solo; for the ruination of Little Games; and then would not release Reid to join up in Page and Grant's venture which by then included Jones.   The Yardbirds were scarcely receiving a dime for their efforts under Most's management, which led to Most labeling Page "a troublemaker" for protesting the situation.  Most went on to rip off Beck, too, according to Beck in that authorized biography that came out a couple of years back.  So it's no surprise at all to read that Most mismanaged and ripped off Terry Reid, too.

Most may have ripped off Reid but, I thought Simon Napier-Bell was the Yardbirds' manager during this period.

On 02/06/2016 at 8:23 AM, Mercurious said:

Mickie Most had a hand producing Little Games but was not the Yardbirds manager. It was Simon Napier-Bell who made that comment about Page.

8 hours ago, Disco Duck said:

Most may have ripped off Reid but, I thought Simon Napier-Bell was the Yardbirds' manager during this period.

Napier-Bell was out in 1967.  It's not clear, but it is suspected by Page that Beck leaving had a lot to do with the management change, and encouragement from Most to go solo -- Most did produce Hi Ho Silver Line, Truth and Beck-o-la, and all of Little Games.  Peter Grant takes over as tour manager during 1967.  Napier-Bell's last production was Happenings Ten Years Time Ago on Roger the Engineer, which was written by Page.  Bell is gone after that.

4 hours ago, Versus said:

Mickie Most had a hand producing Little Games but was not the Yardbirds manager. It was Simon Napier-Bell who made that comment about Page.

Most produced the entire thing, except in those instances when Page was allowed to do his thing (Glimpses, White Summer and Think About It) and was largely responsible for the majority of the content.  It flopped, of course, because some of that material is horrible, Little Games (the song) pretty bad for a single.   But yeah, my mistake on the quote -- it does make more sense that the comment would have been made by Napier-Bell during the change-over to Grant and Most, who had worked with Page and Jones on Donovan singles and other things.   Most did destroy the Yardbirds -- Little Games could have been a great album -- and Most definitely ripped off Beck, according to Beck.  Even Donovan had rid himself of Most by 1969.  

On 4/17/2016 at 9:18 PM, SuperDave said:

Are you sure about that? I think Terry Reid is a better singer. He plays guitar too and wrote some great songs.

2 minutes ago, MortSahlFan said:

Are you sure about that? I think Terry Reid is a better singer. He plays guitar too and wrote some great songs.

Don't know if he is a better singer, I would say they are equally good. What I do know from his own behaviors though is he would have either left Zeppelin or been fired no later than the second album and Zeppelin would have been no more. Reid reminds me of a Roy Harper type, very talented yet also very willing to sabotage his own career as soon as fame begins to loom. He has pulled this over and over again in his own career and refuses to listen to anyone. That being said he is a nice guy from most accounts, just unwilling to either compromise or move in any direction which is not his own idea and desire.

I was just talking with a friend about this yesterday, also mentioned Roy Harper - maybe a reason why Zeppelin tried to give him some publicity, as well as Pink Floyd... It's hard to say what would have happened. Success doesn't necessarily mean better, but it could, and who knows. I think Terry just had to be in control, and knew this was Jimmy's band. But it's nice we can listen to both.

Archived