RIP Prince

Walter

This man will be missed by so many.  As an artist, businessman and a man he cut across all races, genders and  musical genres.  The outpouring of sadness is already very apparent.  I am gutted.  Had the honor of seeing him perform live twice, unparalleled.  Right now blaring a cd I made years ago of all the great songs from his first 25 years of his recordings.  So sad and only 57....

RIP Prince

He was so talented and multi-faceted.  A terrific showman, a great songwriter, a virtuoso guitar player and to top it off, he had a good head for business.  He should have had another 20 years of music making.   I had the pleasure of seeing him perform live twice; in 1981 and 1984.  My condolences to his family.

Royalty deserves its on own thread. Thank you, Walter for starting.

I have infinite love for everything Prince talent, music, live performance, fashion, social conscience, lyricism, spiritualism, business sense, etc., but his sense of humor (including about himself)  gets lost sometimes. This Dave Chapelle skit based on a real event is a gut-buster.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/e748yj/chappelle-s-show-charlie-murphy-s-true-hollywood-stories---prince---uncensored

I have been a Prince fan ever since I saw Purple Rain in the movie theaters when I was 14 years old (1984). 

If I had to choose 10 albums that I would take with me on a desert island, Purple Rain would be one of them. 

The whole flow of all the songs on that album make it a Masterpiece and the way the songs make its mark in the movie makes it, to me, one of the best soundtrack of all-time. 

I Love You Prince.  The whole Planet Earth is going to miss You and mourn your death for years and years...

Wife took me to see him a couple of times in the 80's , not my cup of Tea really. Great guitar player though... From news reports this looks like he may have topped himself, sad...

Not only was he one of the most influential artists of our time he was also a sublime guitar player. Take a look at these if you have not seen them before:

and this

He was such a gifted artist and a true musical genius who crossed, combined and took in so much from many musical forms and boundaries!  I remember seeing an interview with Robert Plant on MTV many years ago and he was asked about Prince and called him "The best....The king."

4 minutes ago, SuperDave said:

He was such a gifted artist and a true musical genius who crossed, combined and took in so much from many musical forms and boundaries!  I remember seeing an interview with Robert Plant on MTV many years ago and he was asked about Prince and called him "The best....The king."

...and in his Rolling Stone cover interview back in '88, I remember Plant saying Prince and Page together would've been magickal.  Certainly would've been memorable.  

Nice post, cofa! ??

There was a live video MTV used to run when I was in high school at the height of his fame after Purple Rain and I recall thinking hey, this guy can actually play. Never was particularly a big fan but can recognize talent when I see it. Always reminded me of Hendrix onstage. You can see that it the Guitar Gently Weeps clip. Thanks for posting. Sad news. 

28 minutes ago, StringBender said:

There was a live video MTV used to run when I was in high school at the height of his fame after Purple Rain and I recall thinking hey, this guy can actually play. Never was particularly a big fan but can recognize talent when I see it. Always reminded me of Hendrix onstage. You can see that it the Guitar Gently Weeps clip. Thanks for posting. Sad news. 

I remember this live video and was from Prince's "Purple Rain" tour.  If I remember correctly, it was the two songs "I Would Die For You" which segued into "Baby, I'm A Star."  I loved these and was amazed how great of a live performer he was as I recorded it on VHS and watched it many times!

5 minutes ago, SuperDave said:

I remember this live video and was from Prince's "Purple Rain" tour.  If I remember correctly, it was the two songs "I Would Die For You" which segued into "Baby, I'm A Star."  I loved these and was amazed how great of a live performer he was as I recorded it on VHS and watched it many times!

It was from Landover, MD I believe.  They showed it a few times last night on MTV2.  Boundless energy.  The first time I saw him was spring of '85 at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse.  Unbelievable night!

3 hours ago, Walter said:

It was from Landover, MD I believe.  They showed it a few times last night on MTV2.  Boundless energy.  The first time I saw him was spring of '85 at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse.  Unbelievable night!

I just looked that up and is correct (Landover, where Zep played, I think 5 shows in  '77) and even being from so long ago, sounds familiar!  Sorry, but I have an unbelievable long term memory!  It even amazes myself!   I wish I had seen Prince live and never took the opportunity to do so as thinking too much of catching RPs shows over the years.  I was irked when I found out my two brothers went to see Prince at the Hartford Civic Center.  They didn't ask me and could have gotten a ticket for me.  My older brother got the tix and didn't know I liked Prince that much!  It was up to him, but no ill will held as we get along well

I guess he thought I wouldn't be interested.  I think this around the "Sign Of The Times" tour.  Why, I never sought out to see him again, I do not know as I listen to Prince a lot!  Just one of those things!  I certainly had opps to do so! My fault!

I was wondering if someone might start their own Prince RIP thread. Thanks Walter.

I am not up to sharing my feelings yet. Bowie and Prince were key touchstones in my life. Not since losing Bonham and Lennon so close together in 1980 has the music world been hit so hard. But I will share this...

...and a couple of Prince tributes from the City of Angels.

LA Forum

forum-big.jpg.3329746c8d6564f92efed2195a

LA City Hall

13083323_1176339035743644_51990499237455

On 4/22/2016 at 5:57 PM, Walter said:

...and in his Rolling Stone cover interview back in '88, I remember Plant saying Prince and Page together would've been magickal.  Certainly would've been memorable.  

Nice post, cofa! ??

Do you remember the context of Plant's remark?

1 hour ago, Disco Duck said:

Do you remember the context of Plant's remark?

"Though Plant is far richer today, he hasn't lost his open mind and eager ear. The owner of an enviable collection of classic blues, R&B and rockabilly records, he is also constantly checking out pop's Next Big Things. Among his recent faves are Hüsker Dü, the rising Irish star Sinead O'Connor and the San Francisco funk-metal band Faith No More. He also digs Prince — for 'sheer entertainment and audacity.' He adds with a wink, 'Prince and Page together would be great.'"

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/the-rolling-stone-interview-robert-plant-19880324#ixzz46u20cTQU

Also humorous comment in brief clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuRjX7JA_4I

Archived