Question re Destroyer, 27th April 1977

Crimson Avenger

Hi, I've been giving this one a good listen in the past few days. I never much liked the original SBD, which seemed really unbalanced, but the Dr Who remaster sounds great, and shows what a brilliant gig this actually was. All four band members put on a great show.

Anyway, I have a question. Does anyone know what happened to Jimmy at the end of the gig? He disappears completely after the guitar solo in STH, and then drops out intermittently in R&R. This makes for an interesting and different end to STH, and I'm wondering if he had amp/cable trouble (can't be guitar trouble as it seems to happen with both the double neck and the LP), or if the SBD just failed to capture the guitar at that point, if that's even possible.

8 hours ago, lynxwizard said:

Is there a aud source for this show ? and on the SB Plants talking has been cut out and the show starts cutting into the SRTS, are there any sources with Plants talking ?  

No known audience source, but there are certainly versions of the soundboard that circulate with the Plantations in between songs intact. But the beginning of TSRTS and the piano solo/Boogie Jam in "No Quarter" are missing in action on every version of this show.

You like April 27? Check out the next night- one of the best shows of the '77 tour.

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 9:45 PM, Nutrocker said:

You like April 27? Check out the next night- one of the best shows of the '77 tour.

4/28 is actually a much better show but no soundboard. I just rediscovered it (thank you again Nutrocker). I had a poor copy of the show. Then I found " Return Of The Destroyer" it's a great sounding AUD recording, not quite Millard quality but real good. A very heavy show. It's been in steady rotation since. I like it so much I ordered the boot.

If you want an amazing version of 4/27/77 seek out "The Maximum Destroyer" on EV. It is probably one of the  best SOUNDING boots I own. It says it's in 5.1 Dolby but it might be 3.1? I don't know.  The low frequencies are powerful and don't block out the mids and highs at all. I'm not a recording engineer but they did something different with the tape. The content is over rated IMHO but it sounds incredible.

Overall, Magical Sound Boogie NY 6/7/77 is probably the best soundboard of the tour. Phenomenal "Boogie Version" of No Quarter.

34 minutes ago, Jimmywalnutz said:

4/28 is actually a much better show but no soundboard. I just rediscovered it (thank you again Nutrocker). I had a poor copy of the show. Then I found " Return Of The Destroyer" it's a great sounding AUD recording, not quite Millard quality but real good. A very heavy show. It's been in steady rotation since. I like it so much I ordered the boot.

If you want an amazing version of 4/27/77 seek out "The Maximum Destroyer" on EV. It is probably one of the  best SOUNDING boots I own. It says it's in 5.1 Dolby but it might be 3.1? I don't know.  The low frequencies are powerful and don't block out the mids and highs at all. I'm not a recording engineer but they did something different with the tape. The content is over rated IMHO but it sounds incredible.

Overall, Magical Sound Boogie NY 6/7/77 is probably the best soundboard of the tour. Phenomenal "Boogie Version" of No Quarter.

The version I have of Destroyer must be an old vinyl rip or something- it sounds completely different to every other source I've heard- it sounds like an actual live album and not  a typical "dry" soundboard recording. Mind ya, I've had the thing for twenty something years so my copy predates most of the "known gen" sources that have cropped up in recent years. 

I'd love to find a copy of the April 28 "Destroyer" show on vinyl, but they don't come cheap.

I'll give the edge to the Fort Worth show as being the best '77 soundboard thus far. If the entire June 11 performance appeared and not just the three song teaser that circulates, that'd be the best one.

1 hour ago, Jimmywalnutz said:

Wow, a great sounding one. Could well be a live release it sounds so clear. Is the missing entry into TSRTS on all boots for this show? 

All interesting points, and I agree that 28th seems like the better show. But my actual question related to what happens to Jimmy at the end of the gig. Did he actually disappear for the last part of STH, or did the SBD just fail to capture the guitar at that point? (if that's possible).

1 hour ago, edwinplant said:

I got the destroyer smilin ears 77-300 cleveland 28 april 1977 it's a 3 lp set not mind after all these years, what do you think it's worth. I don't mind to let it go.

Depends on the condition of the records..............hier heb je alle versies van het kreng.

https://www.discogs.com/Led-Zeppelin-The-Destroyer/master/574238

11 hours ago, Crimson Avenger said:

All interesting points, and I agree that 28th seems like the better show. But my actual question related to what happens to Jimmy at the end of the gig. Did he actually disappear for the last part of STH, or did the SBD just fail to capture the guitar at that point? (if that's possible).

Hmm I'm probably not answering you're question very well Crimson Avenger,  but I will say the write-ups
I have seen written on the two Cleveland '77 concerts don't appear to mention anything on Jimmy
being M I A during  S T H.   I'm not saying he was or wasn't,  but I'm not having any luck in finding any
proof he disappeared.  Quite the opposite.  Somebody here who attended surely would know though.
Maybe the Led Zeppelin concert timeline/ database link at the bottom right corner would say.  I know
people leave comments that attended the gigs,  so maybe there's something there.  :) 

21 hours ago, Nutrocker said:

. If the entire June 11 performance appeared and not just the three song teaser that circulates, that'd be the best one.

Teaser doesn't seem to be a strong enough adjective. Really powerful fragment and a Garden Show too ! Yes, shameless NYC bias.

I don't know what it is with 5/22, I really like it and read all the raves but it just never made it to heavy rotation, for me.

Lately, I've been playing lots of 77 and a Birmingham  SBD is  VERY high on my wish list . Great audience show but it doesn't seem to get enough love.

My buddy has record shop and he is making a killing on the vinyl boots he can get his hands on, he is at an advantage because his customers don't mind paying his premium instead of rolling the dice on Ebay , Discogs etc.

I'm passing on vinyl boots like crazy because I know it's just a matter of time before we start seeing 180 boots from EV and T2.

19 hours ago, Crimson Avenger said:

I'm imagine it was just a technical glitch with Page's guitar in one way shape or form, his patch cord crapped out (or fell out- 1977 was still pre-wireless) or something like that.

1 hour ago, Jimmywalnutz said:

I'm passing on vinyl boots like crazy because I know it's just a matter of time before we start seeing 180 boots from EV and T2.

I'm an old school vinyl freak, but given how crappy the sales can be on EVSD's CD's I for one would be very surprised if they decided to opt for vinyl (high quality or otherwise). Not only that but I could see their vinyl pressings costing a fuckin' fortune.

8 hours ago, Jimmywalnutz said:

Teaser doesn't seem to be a strong enough adjective. Really powerful fragment and a Garden Show too ! Yes, shameless NYC bias.

I don't know what it is with 5/22, I really like it and read all the raves but it just never made it to heavy rotation, for me.

Lately, I've been playing lots of 77 and a Birmingham  SBD is  VERY high on my wish list . Great audience show but it doesn't seem to get enough love.

My buddy has record shop and he is making a killing on the vinyl boots he can get his hands on, he is at an advantage because his customers don't mind paying his premium instead of rolling the dice on Ebay , Discogs etc.

He can buy mine lp's from led zeppelin, if he want?

Hi Edwin , Welcome. This is a great message board for fans who want to discuss their favorite band. I love it here. I guess he could by yours LP's.

I know that when any of the big companies start producing 180's they will be exorbitant and cost prohibitive , that's why I'm saving my money.

Imagine your favorite boot on virgin 180 vinyl.

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 8:45 PM, Nutrocker said:

No known audience source, but there are certainly versions of the soundboard that circulate with the Plantations in between songs intact. But the beginning of TSRTS and the piano solo/Boogie Jam in "No Quarter" are missing in action on every version of this show.

What are the titles that have the Plantations on CD? mine has none and my old LP's also don't have any

10 hours ago, Jimmywalnutz said:

I couldn't resist this one though. Ist edition. Original plastic , vinyl is pristine, gatefold never opened and I haven't seen that sticker before.

A man cannot live on boots alone 35.00, "friendly price"

IMG_01481.jpg

I hate to break it to ya, Jimmy, but that's not a first edition/pressing- it's a 1977 reissue copy. Original 1969 matrix number was SD 8236:

https://www.discogs.com/Led-Zeppelin-Led-Zeppelin-II/release/5833308

7 hours ago, lynxwizard said:

What are the titles that have the Plantations on CD? mine has none and my old LP's also don't have any

I'm not sure of any of the specific titles, though I'm sure most of 'em have "Destroyer" in there somewhere :lol: but a few years back a master copy of the original soundboard tapes went into circulation, that are uncut save for the usual cuts in "TSRTS", "No Quarter" and "Rock And Roll". The Plantations should be intact. I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and assume that any version of the April 27 Destroyer show released in the last five years or so uses that source as the basis. There are also 2CD versions that circulate that I believe lack the Plantations as well as the drum and guitar noise solos. 

Lol. I knew it was too easy. My buddy is a businessman, that came in with a bunch of records and I grabbed it,  but shame on me for not doing my due diligence.

I guess I'm getting a free lunch later .

Thanks for the heads up I still like it  though. He tried to sell me a "first edition" Led Zeppelin I that advertised The Yes Album and Zeps Fourth Album on the inside cover LOL. I have to be nice because he reads these boards once in a while, the BASTARD!

Thanks for the Heads Up. After I posted the pics I was thinking 5 bucks seems like a lot for an LP.   

On 26/04/2016 at 11:00 PM, KellyGirl said:

Hmm I'm probably not answering you're question very well Crimson Avenger,  but I will say the write-ups
I have seen written on the two Cleveland '77 concerts don't appear to mention anything on Jimmy
being M I A during  S T H.   I'm not saying he was or wasn't,  but I'm not having any luck in finding any
proof he disappeared.  Quite the opposite.  Somebody here who attended surely would know though.
Maybe the Led Zeppelin concert timeline/ database link at the bottom right corner would say.  I know
people leave comments that attended the gigs,  so maybe there's something there.  :) 

Thanks, a minor mystery, this one! I did check the comments on the timeline, but nothing very instructive I'm afraid. Shame there's no AUD for this night.

17 hours ago, Jimmywalnutz said:

Lol. I knew it was too easy. My buddy is a businessman, that came in with a bunch of records and I grabbed it,  but shame on me for not doing my due diligence.

I guess I'm getting a free lunch later .

Thanks for the heads up I still like it  though. He tried to sell me a "first edition" Led Zeppelin I that advertised The Yes Album and Zeps Fourth Album on the inside cover LOL. I have to be nice because he reads these boards once in a while, the BASTARD!

Thanks for the Heads Up. After I posted the pics I was thinking 5 bucks seems like a lot for an LP.   

Five bucks too much for an LP? Are you kidding? That's what I was paying for secondhand vinyl thirty years ago. Check out that Discogs site I sent you the link to, the prices on vinyl -especially collectible vinyl- can be fuckin' ridiculous these days. Even new vinyl is expensive. I just shelled out fourty bucks for Blackstar (the new Bowie album), but it was worth it...

Archived