Iggy Pop

I am surprised there isn't already an Iggy Pop/Stooges thread here. Iggy is one of the hardy perennials. Who knew he would still be alive at this late date?

Those old Stooges albums can still peel paint at 100 paces. I like the new collaboration with Josh Homme and they are playing the Greek Theatre this Thursday night. 

Unfortunately, I might have to sit this one out due to a clogged schedule.

IGGY POP: 'Total Chaos: The Story Of The Stooges' Book Due This Winter

April 26, 2016

Third Man Books has announced the release of "Total Chaos: The Story Of The Stooges / As Told By Iggy Pop". The book marks the first time the story of this seminal band has been told entirely in Pop's own words.

Author Jeff Gold and contributor Johan Kugelberg, noted music historians and collectors, spent two days with Pop at his Miami home, sharing with him their extensive STOOGES collection and interviewing the legendary singer. Pop's candid, bare-all responses left them with the almost unbelievable tale of the band he founded-the alternatively tragic and triumphant story of a group who rose from youth, fell prey to drugs, alcohol, and music biz realities, collapsed and nearly 30 years later reformed, recording and touring to great acclaim. In 2010, THE STOOGES, credited with having invented punk rock, were inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame. Their continuing influence can be felt today in the shape and sound of rock and roll music.

Jeff Gold, Johan Kugelberg and editor/contributor Jon Savage are among the most respected music authors and historians working today. Their efforts include numerous acclaimed and best-selling books and a Grammy Award. "Total Chaos" stands as a work for all fans of the band and rock music to draw inspiration. Including an absolute treasure-trove of rare and unseen photographs, "Total Chaos" is a book that shows and tells the story of THE STOOGES. A metallic k.o. of only the best kind.

Said Gold: "It was a rate privilege to sit with Iggy as he downloaded the story of THE STOOGES. He's an incredible storyteller with a fantastic memory and a great sense of humor, and he held nothing back.

"THE STOOGES were pioneers in sound, look, and live presentation, and along the way invented a genre-punk rock- and influenced countless others that followed. There was no precedent in rock music for what they did. They're definitely the only group in the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame who started out playing an amplified Waring blender, a vacuum cleaner, spring water bottles and a 200 gallon drum."

"Total Chaos: The Story Of The Stooges / As Told By Iggy Pop" is due this winter.

iggypoptotalchaosbook.jpg.65ef59594f10e5

Blabbermouth

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

14639755_10153927017820496_7504000709508814245_n.jpg

Two of my writer friends went to the press screening of "Gimme Danger" and both told me that it's not as good as our expectations had hoped. They felt Jim Jarmusch being good friends with Iggy hurt as much as helped the documentary. A little too cozy and hagiographic, it doesn't really explain or show what made the Stooges great or important...other than Jim Jarmusch saying the Stooges were the greatest rock and roll band ever.

But then, you can watch a Kiss or AC/DC or U2 documentary and hear someone claim the same thing about each respective band. Don't say it...show it. And that is the biggest complaint my pals had about this documentary...not enough scenes of the Stooges music. Too many times Jarmusch interrupts the songs for some talking-head or some Michael Moore-ish silliness. Just let the music play, dammit.

But as a Stooges die-hard I will still dutifully go opening night November 4. Even a little Stooges footage is better than none.

gimme-danger.jpg

Edited by Strider

20161105_212051.jpg

20161105_211827.jpg

I saw this over the weekend. Not as great as I would have liked...my friends were right about too much talking interrupting the music. But still, it's nearly two hours on The Stooges so it was still a fun doc to watch. The theatre had the sound cranked good and loud.

Sobering slap in the face at the end when you see how many have died. Basically, it's just Iggy left....and Mike Watt from the reunion years.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...