Vinyl - non-studio albums

Hi,

I'm starting to look to collect some affordable non-studio albums.  As of now - I have never seen or listen to anything besides the major records.  Is it worth my time and does anyone suggest a few to get me starting and looking?

Thanks,

Chris

1 hour ago, ChrisHunt said:

Hi,

I'm starting to look to collect some affordable non-studio albums.  As of now - I have never seen or listen to anything besides the major records.  Is it worth my time and does anyone suggest a few to get me starting and looking?

Thanks,

Chris

Which ones do you mean, the legal or the illegal ones?

I guess legal ones....  Like " Led Zeppelin RARE DOUBLE LP For Badge Holders Only Part 2 LA Forum 1977 " or  “LED ZEPPELIN Riverside Blues BBC 1969 Top Gear NEW Sealed Yellow LP Record”  or " LED ZEPPELIN LONDON LIVE RIGHT RECORDS SX503 2 LP'S RARE " 

All official live release stuff IMHO are WELL worth your coin.

Collecting flac boots from the interwebs, there is plenty of suggestions scattered throughout these pages. An incredible amount actually. There is also some video stuff that is floating around like fan made takes of TSRTS with as much playing and as little fantasy sequence and other stuff as possible. Youtube is great for a lot of Vids too.

Actual Vinyl, that would be interesting, and probably expensive and risky. I'm sure a few collectors on here could give you some good advice.

29 minutes ago, ChrisHunt said:

I guess legal ones....  Like " Led Zeppelin RARE DOUBLE LP For Badge Holders Only Part 2 LA Forum 1977 " or  “LED ZEPPELIN Riverside Blues BBC 1969 Top Gear NEW Sealed Yellow LP Record”  or " LED ZEPPELIN LONDON LIVE RIGHT RECORDS SX503 2 LP'S RARE " 

Those are all bootlegs (illegal)

Badgeholders is a great show (make sure to get part one and two). Although it was taped from the audience the sound quality is nice.

The Riverside Blues thingy is also to be found on the BBC Sessions album (which is the legal release).

Don't know bout the third one, but most likely that recording is also on the BBC Sessions.

I have quite a large selection of Zeppelin vinyl bootlegs. I think over 40 now. If I was going to start somewhere I'd go with the Earls court shows. There's one called rock n roll which has a deluxe full colour cover, good quality audio and features a fantastic version of no quarter. Any advice you want on titles regarding quality, duplicates etc. I'm happy to give if I can. 

3 hours ago, ChrisHunt said:

Is it worth my time and does anyone suggest a few to get me starting and looking?

There are differing opinions on here regarding the unofficial releases, some won't touch them with a barge poll and some think that they are where you hear the band in its truest form. 

The best advice I can give you is don't get in a bidding war or overpay for records in crappy condition. I suggest using site like collectorsfrenzy.com, gripsweat.com, and popsike.com, and use those prices as a guideline for what you should pay. I highly recommend Robert Godwin's collectors guide from 1990;  his later ones concentrate on CDs.

for example, here is a search for 'Badge Holders':

http://collectorsfrenzy.com/search?q=zeppelin+badge+holders&so=e

As you can see there are several different versions and the prices range from cheap to outrageous; that $641 one and that $18 one are the same exact edition,  and even a newbie like you can surmise whoever paid $600+ for this is a moron. If you want a top-condition copy the going rate will be in the $60 - $80 range but if you're patient, you can eventually find one for around $40, or if you can live with one in lesser condition, $20 or less.

Fortunately for you the bubble burst on the booleg LP market recently and you can amass quite a few nice ones at reasonable prices.

Also I can see you're familiar with Ebay but you need to check out Discogs too.

Theres lots of shows or segments of shows on youtube as well to help guide you in deciding if you want the show or not ... Just listened to some of the Berkeley show from '71 very nice... Are you familiar with the "tight but loose" aspect of Zeppelin?

Archived